PDA

View Full Version : flat spots in acceleration, high idle

diablo75
02-12-2006, 07:18 PM
So, just crashed my old 86 accord LX, and what do you know, got a "new" 86 LX. The new one is much nicer, and seems to run very smoothly. But, and there always is a but, there seems to be flat spots in the acceleration (around 2800 in 1st, 2nd, and 3rd gears). Plus, in the last couple of days, the idle runs high (above 2000) when the car heats up. Actually, the car seems to be overheating a bit, but I think that is a seperate issue. So, we were going to do a tune up today to see if maybe we could fix the acceleration problem, but first I noticed a vaccum line sticking out. It is line 16 (I believe), and it had a piece of plastic broken off inside of it. Turns out the plastic is from some nameless valve/ air control thingy majimmy which is absolutely impossible to find ANYWHERE for less the 60 bucks.

Ha, funny aside, when we finally wrenched the hood up on my totaled LX, we tried to get this part off of it, and broke it off in the exact same place.

So, on to my actual question. Is the high idle due to this broken valve-type-thingy (my guess is yes)? AND, could my loss in power during acceleration be due this broken thingy as well. If not, what could it be? In other words, could it be causing a vaccum leak.
The idle (other than going rather high at times) is very smooth, no lumps. There are no funny smells emanating from the engine or exhaust (i.e., I don't think it's running really rich or lean). According to the last owners, they just did a tune up (but we were going to do another one, just in case). I just had a valve adjustment done, and replaced the valve cover gasket (it was leaking oil). So, suggestions?

A20A1
02-14-2006, 04:06 PM
16 is the EGR valve.

Anyways best to fix that coolant problem... Find out if it's your thermostat, waterpump, cooling fan, cooling fan swtich/sensor, low coolant.

If 16 is leaking vacuum it will cause problems.
chances are 16 will leak vacuum, but if its going thru a solenoid/valve it may only leak when the valve is opened.