PDA

View Full Version : seabelt sensor and neutral start switch?

vongiese
02-13-2006, 09:59 AM
Couple things going on with my 1988 LXi Hatchback Automatic. Started with the car not turning over when trying to start in Park - only happend on a rare occassion. Sometimes putting it in neutral it would start. sometimes just had to wauit a few minutes and it would start. Or it would start and imediately die. Tested the Shifter console switch and tested out OK (but at that time it was starting in park).
Then a few weeks later the seatbelt chime would start sounding when a passenger would get in the car while it was running...yet it would not shut off whne they put on their seatbelt. The only solution was to shut the car off and start it back up and chiming would stop. This weekend - both problems converged...seatbelt chiming started - i shut car off, but it wouldn't start (turn over) in Park! It would turn over in neutral, and start but die immediately. One time it started in neutral - I put it in park and it immediately died. After a few minutes and a few atempts it would start in neutral and ran normally. Car has started normally the last few times.
Do you suppose my console gear selctor switch is bad as well as my seatbbelt sensor? can i just unplug the setbelt sensor under the pass seat?
I'm also trouble shooting a cooling fan malfunction (which might be related??) does not come on much at all and certainly does not come on for 15 min after car is shut off. Replaced thrmo sensor and both fans DO work when AC is on....
thanks for the help!

AccordRacing21
02-13-2006, 11:14 AM
Yeah, I unplugged mine today actually and it has no effect on the car besides shutting the light/beeper off.

onliLX-i
02-15-2006, 01:02 PM
Even though you tested the console switch, I still think it might ba a problem. It doesn't make any sense that it would die after starting though. The shift selector switch is just a safety switch that cuts the power to the starter in anything but N and P.

vongiese
02-17-2006, 11:13 AM
I unplugged the seatbelt box under pass seat and that took care of the chiming problem. I agree with you that the console/shifter switch must be bad. thanks for the input! I'll pursue the fan probelm next...