PDA

View Full Version : AC removal.

Spiderldr
02-13-2006, 02:06 PM
My ac never really worked anyway. so I think I'm going to cut the belt and take everything out. It would lighten the car ever so slightly, and there would be less hoses and crap to worry about while I'm installing my new radiator. But I was wondering about the radiadiator in front of my radiator. The one that the AC hose connects to. Is that safe to take out? any problems?

Selfmindead
02-13-2006, 02:51 PM
Yes it is safe to take out, you would be surprised at how much all the A/C components in your car weigh, pipes, radiator, condenser, compressor, even the bracket that holds the compressor is quite heavy.

Beaver
02-13-2006, 05:24 PM
Ehh... I thought the AC system was pressured and you shouldn't take it out unless you're a pro?... Lemme know how it goes though, I want to get rid of mine.

Bglad420
02-13-2006, 05:41 PM
Their should be a valve witha cap on it on one of the lines, just release the pressure and rip all the crap out....

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 06:14 PM
i was looking at doing this to but what do u do with the hose that goes in to the firewall

Selfmindead
02-13-2006, 06:55 PM
Yeah I forgot about the gas, you aren’t supposed to release it into the atmosphere, mine was empty when I did it. Just take the pipe into the firewall out, it leads to the condenser. Then put a bung in its place.

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 06:59 PM
sorry whats a bung is it like plug

Selfmindead
02-13-2006, 07:05 PM
Yep! The one that’s there will be the same but with a hole in it for the A/C piping, just replace it with a solid one or silicone the old one up.

88Accord-DX
02-13-2006, 07:24 PM
R-12 needs a recovery tank, not an everiomental freindly substance. We need to save our enviroment for our children.
R-134a should use a recovery tank too, but it less an ozone problem.

You can get some serious fines now-adays for releasing R-12 in the air if the right person finds out. Save what little ozone we have & get the R-12 recovered with a recovery tank by certified technicians, please. We don't need no more global warming as it already is. :)

Beaver
02-13-2006, 07:44 PM
Yeah thats what I thought, I wonder how much people charge to remove it or at least just drain the system.

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 07:59 PM
how can u tell u have anything in there cause my ac dosent work at all and its just taking up wait and space i was thinking of putting another alt in its place just to charge a secound battery in the trunk for my stereo system or relocating the old one there

Bglad420
02-13-2006, 08:01 PM
R-12 needs a recovery tank, not an everiomental freindly substance. We need to save our enviroment for our children.
R-134a should use a recovery tank too, but it less an ozone problem.
You can get some serious fines now-adays for releasing R-12 in the air if the right person finds out. Save what little ozone we have & get the R-12 recovered with a recovery tank by certified technicians, please. We don't need no more global warming as it already is. :)

Oh you baby you'r not gonna be around forever! Its only illegal if you get caught!

88Accord-DX
02-13-2006, 08:07 PM
Oh you baby you'r not gonna be around forever! Its only illegal if you get caught!
People like you are the ones that are going to run it for our children!

It's not me that I'm worried about, it is the future generations you selfish fuck!! :rocket:

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 08:12 PM
lol now now lets keep it civil and about removing the ac crap

AZmike
02-13-2006, 09:09 PM
The best deal I could find for a system evacuation was $25. The A/C system weighs a little over 40 lb if I remember right. The evaporator is under the dash; the condenser is in front of the radiator.

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 09:24 PM
so u dont have to remove the evaporator

88Accord-DX
02-13-2006, 09:34 PM
No, just plug it up. The evaporator is too much trouble to remove, but if you want to take the trouble to remove it, then go for it.

Plug the line on the firewall where it disconnects if you want to use it later on.

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 09:43 PM
cool cool

Spiderldr
02-13-2006, 10:05 PM
I dont think I'm going to take the trouble to take the dash apart when I could get the same weight redux by cleaning my car ;). And I guess the reason why the ac never worked become apparent when I unscrewed one of the hoses. There was no massive decompression, just the tiniest of hisses. Mabey I even imagined it, but it does explain a lot. So in a way it's like I unscrewed it if it had been full, did the same thing to the ozone, just not intentional.

Anyhow, The ac pump and clip and hoses are pretty damn heavy. I'd put it upwards of 25 pounds. And that front radiator should free up some airflow to hit the coolant radiator, making my engine cooler in the summer, I hope.

Bglad420
02-13-2006, 10:16 PM
It's not me that I'm worried about, it is the future generations you selfish fuck!! :rocket:

So defensive jewiz buddy......I think I'm going to pour a couple of gallons of gas down the river, and spill some oil down the sewer drains.......

TheWatcher
02-13-2006, 10:27 PM
Oh you baby you'r not gonna be around forever! Its only illegal if you get caught!People like you are the ones that are going to run it for our children!
Werd. :thumbup:

aerokid1987
02-14-2006, 01:33 PM

OH god, global warming is a bunch of catshit!!! Releasing a little bit of substance that God mad into the same air that God made isn't gonna hurt shit!

I guess we should keep this on topic here, sorry!

bobafett
02-14-2006, 02:29 PM
ummmm.. its good to see that u guys have utter disreguard for the environment. let me guess, you guys already voted to tap alaska of its oil reserves too? how are your SUV's working out for you?

quit being ignorant.. its a FACT that releasing r12 into the environment releases CFC (chloro flouro carbons) which are the same bad things found in almost all aerosol spray cans. it really is terrible for the environment...

that being said, in washington, i called serveral 'ac' shops, and the cheapest quote i got was $300 from honda dealership, nobody else wanted to play with the r12. luckily mine didnt have any refridgerant in the system when i went to crack it, must have slowly leaked out over the years... :)

Beaver
02-14-2006, 03:27 PM
Holy crap... 300... maybe i will just cut the belt for now... hmm... how would you tell which kind of gas you have in your system? I wonder how much they would want to drain the other one, cause im definately not releasing that shit into the air.

bobafett
02-14-2006, 03:31 PM
yeah i was suprised at the quotes. most people said they wouldnt touch it.. and reccomended i bring it to dealer, honda wanted 'between 285 , and could be as much as 350' so i ballparked to 300....

Bglad420
02-14-2006, 03:33 PM
Holy crap... 300... maybe i will just cut the belt for now... hmm... how would you tell which kind of gas you have in your system? I wonder how much they would want to drain the other one, cause im definately not releasing that shit into the air.
You know AC doesn't use HP unless its turned on right???

Beaver
02-14-2006, 03:39 PM
Yep I know, I just want to be rid of the whole system eventually. It's actually a shame cause it's one thing on my car that DOES work like new lol.

Spiderldr
02-14-2006, 04:22 PM
I hear that smoking cigarettes right by the freon when it comes out is really benificial to your death... I mean health... yes... :hs:

88Accord-DX
02-15-2006, 09:12 PM