PDA

View Full Version : cd changer

ernhrdt34
02-13-2006, 03:54 PM
I got a cd changer from a friend and was wondering if i could hook it up to my deck even theugh they are different manufacturers? I have a Pioneer Head Unit and the cd changer is a JVC. Wasnt sure if there is an adapter hat i can get to change the connector to fit the deck or if there is any other way to get it to work.

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 04:26 PM
well prolly not unless it is a fm modulated cd changer but i could be wrong sometimes the plugs are the same but im pritty sure they dont make an adaptor but i my have never seen one and in the long run cd changers suck cause if u have and kind of sub sytem there a little more pron to skipping

ghettogeddy
02-13-2006, 04:26 PM
damn double post

TheWatcher
02-13-2006, 09:51 PM
well prolly not unless it is a fm modulated cd changer but i could be wrong sometimes the plugs are the same but im pritty sure they dont make an adaptor but i my have never seen one and in the long run cd changers suck cause if u have and kind of sub sytem there a little more pron to skipping
Werd.

Yeah, your only option is the fm modulator connection, so you will have to live w/ the degraded signal (AFAIK FM cuts off at ~ 15 khz). Not all people can hear sounds 15-20 khz, so maybe you won't notice anything. :dunno:

Alot of people don't seem to be able to notice/care about using the FM modulator. If you can't tell the difference between FM and your car CD, you should be happy. If you can tell the difference between your FM and your car CD player ... well you know what to expect.

I looked it up for you, JVC sells an FM Modulator for ~ $60 + shipping. Call them to make sure this will work for your CD Changer model (which you didn't mention).

http://www.jvcservice.com/store/ProductDetail.asp?part=KS-IF200

Peace.

Sabz5150
02-14-2006, 10:41 PM
Werd.
Yeah, your only option is the fm modulator connection, so you will have to live w/ the degraded signal (AFAIK FM cuts off at ~ 15 khz). Not all people can hear sounds 15-20 khz, so maybe you won't notice anything. :dunno:
Alot of people don't seem to be able to notice/care about using the FM modulator. If you can't tell the difference between FM and your car CD, you should be happy. If you can tell the difference between your FM and your car CD player ... well you know what to expect.
I looked it up for you, JVC sells an FM Modulator for ~ $60 + shipping. Call them to make sure this will work for your CD Changer model (which you didn't mention).
http://www.jvcservice.com/store/ProductDetail.asp?part=KS-IF200
Peace.

That only works if he has a standalone controller for the changer. Most of the time when a changer has a special connector such as for the JVC unit, the HU controls the changer. Even with an FM modulator like that he won't be able to actually control the unit.

This *SHOULD* be the pinout for the J-Link changer if you are inclined to take a more DIY approach.

1. CONT---------- +12V when HU is on, 0V when HU is off.
2. SCK ----------- This line the clock, clock is only there when data is transmitted. Otherwise it is low.
3. SI/SO --------- Dataline, seems to be bi-directional, low when no data is transmitted.
4. GND ----------- Ground
5. +12V ---------- +12V
6. CH-R ----------- Audio for right channel
7. A-GND --------- Analog ground, but is same as the rest of the GND's
8. CH-L ----------- Audio for left channel

(swiped from another site)

TheWatcher
02-15-2006, 09:29 AM
That only works if he has a standalone controller for the changer. Most of the time when a changer has a special connector such as for the JVC unit, the HU controls the changer. Even with an FM modulator like that he won't be able to actually control the unit.
This *SHOULD* be the pinout for the J-Link changer if you are inclined to take a more DIY approach.
1. CONT---------- +12V when HU is on, 0V when HU is off.
2. SCK ----------- This line the clock, clock is only there when data is transmitted. Otherwise it is low.
3. SI/SO --------- Dataline, seems to be bi-directional, low when no data is transmitted.
4. GND ----------- Ground
5. +12V ---------- +12V
6. CH-R ----------- Audio for right channel
7. A-GND --------- Analog ground, but is same as the rest of the GND's
8. CH-L ----------- Audio for left channel
(swiped from another site)He has a Pioneer HU, FM Modulator is the only thing that will work AFAIK.

Just because you have the pin-out doesn't mean you can sucessfully ghetto wire it. :lol:

I don't have any experience "mixing brands", everything in my car is Kenwood Excelon. :)

Peace.

Sabz5150
02-15-2006, 12:02 PM
He has a Pioneer HU, FM Modulator is the only thing that will work AFAIK.
Just because you have the pin-out doesn't mean you can sucessfully ghetto wire it. :lol:
I don't have any experience "mixing brands", everything in my car is Kenwood Excelon. :)
Peace.

A modulator is the only way for that but he still needs the controller otherwise the changer will just sit there, unfortunately. Pioneer should sell a modulator unit for that changer, otherwise it's eBay time. FInd a busted changer like the one he owns for 5 bucks or so and just use the modulator/controller unit. Bonus points for fixing the busted unit and running dual changers in the trunk.

Brand mixing doesn't usually work for stuff like that, none of the companies are willing to settle on a standard.

TheWatcher
02-15-2006, 07:01 PM
Brand mixing doesn't usually work for stuff like that, none of the companies are willing to settle on a standard.
Werd. :thumbup:

People need to stop and think before they buy something (although in this case, it's unclear whether the cd changer was purchased or given free).

Peace.

ivanfbi
03-01-2006, 10:27 PM
couldn't you buy matching deck and changer?