PDA

View Full Version : i overheated!...well not me my car did!

mkymonkey
02-14-2006, 11:54 AM
uh i think my fans dont work but anyway..here is what happened today. normally before i go to class i park in the parking lot behind the building (you know school building) and well my car is on, ac is on, and the radio is on...and me..well im off taking a nap lol. i work at night just in case you dont remember. well today after my alarm went off for me to wake up i noticed temp gauge was like on the H. not below it not in the red not right before it.....it was right on the fucking H. so i got a bit freaked out. i decide to take a drive to see if the car turns off. and as soon as i hit reverse and start driving in the big ass parking lot it goes back to regular temp slowly. but as i began to stop, it went back up. so i accelerate again and the same thing happens...temp goes back down. at this point im listening for any weird noises, and watching my hood for any smoke. none. i park it again let the car run, open the hood and notice that my fans arent on. i manually spin them and they start spinning, making my temp go up. i checked for any leaks and even went back to the spot where i was at to check for a puddle. nothing. so what do you guys think? are my fans causing this? i mean as soon as i manually spun them, they went on. im already in class so i didnt get to run anymore "Tests". we'll see what happens once i get out.

any suggestions are greatly appreciated as always

-adrian

Acid X
02-14-2006, 11:58 AM
Umm, if they weren't turning on by themselves, you might need to replace them. Eheh.

bobafett
02-14-2006, 12:17 PM
check/replace your thermostat to make sure that the thermo valve is actually opening...

also replace the fan switch if you are thinking your thermostat is good...

u can also check the fuses (not likely in your case, since the fans eventually spun).

if the bearings in the fan are just toast, and it needed help getting going, u just need to replace the fans.

NOTE: i went thru all this, and eventually pulled the head when i pulled my motor and realized that literally half of the coolant passages were blocked with sludge, so there was really not much i could have done... i thought it was my external cooling system, but it was all in the block.

good luck with the project though. if you can, pull the head and check it out...