PDA

View Full Version : car wouldnt turn off (happened long time ago)

A18A
02-15-2006, 03:31 PM
well this happened a long time ago, but its still got me wondering why this happened? this was before i started doing anything to the car. well i turned it off taken out the key and it sounded like it was cutting out but it stayed on at about 200 rpm so i put the key back in and put it on ignition and taken it out again, still stayed on o.O i just left it running and about 5 mins and then it cut out now what could of caused this? its only done that 2 me twice but i just wanna know whats causing it.
i just kept forgetting to post it and finally rememberd it

88Accord-DX
02-15-2006, 03:37 PM
Deiseling.

A18A
02-15-2006, 03:50 PM
well after reading the dictionary:

# To continue running after the ignition has been turned off, as when an open throttle supplies fuel to an engine that is still sufficiently hot to ignite it.

i supose that explains it. it has always bothered me why it does that, thanks :)

Deadhead
02-15-2006, 03:54 PM
lol, that's wierd... at least you know the compression of your engine is good!

ghettogeddy
02-15-2006, 06:42 PM
yes but desiling is bad from what ive heard and he ran it for 5 min like that

88Accord-DX
02-15-2006, 07:14 PM
Deiseling is caused from carbon build up in the cylinders (top of the valves) that act like a glow plug & burn fuel that continues to be pulled in by vacuum on carbureted engines.
Other sorces are incorrect timing, high idle, low octane fuel, & vacuum leaks.

Honda-Master
02-15-2006, 09:20 PM
Deiseling is caused from carbon build up in the cylinders (top of the valves) that act like a glow plug & burn fuel that continues to be pulled in by vacuum on carbureted engines.
Other sorces are incorrect timing, high idle, low octane fuel, & vacuum leaks.

the dude is correct... what is the base idle at ?? should be around 750-800 rpm

A18A
02-15-2006, 11:49 PM
well the car is pretty jumpy, it doesnt have a steady idle, but im guessing its between 700 and 1100RPM, but like i said, happened a long time ago, the car doesnt even start now :'(

thegreatdane
02-16-2006, 09:12 AM
The idle system solenoid valve on the carburetor is probably leaking a bit of fuel into the intake manifold and combined with carbon buildup it'll start dieseling.

With the engine running you can try pouring water down the barrels of the carb while keeping the engine alive by controlling the throttle. This will help clean some of the carbon off of the combustion chamber.

Kind of the same thing that happens when your headgasket starts leaking water into one of the cylinders, when you take the head off you can see that in the cylinder where the water was leaking into it has washed the piston and head all clean.

Btw Overdosed, are those headlight eyebrows made of masking tape? lol :)