PDA

View Full Version : Hybrid Tranny Gaskets

onliLX-i
02-16-2006, 01:31 PM
I am in the process of building the Honda Acura hybrid transmission. There are three pieces to the housing. The bell housing, the middle section and the black cover that goes over fifth gear. If I understand correct, the middle section is universal between the two transmissions so the middle gasket would be the same as well. What about that black end cover though. Are they the same for both tranny's? I need to buy gaskets to finish this build and I want to get ones that will fit. I am using the Acura center section because of those big oil holes. Are all the gaskets compatible? Please help.:help: (Meant to type GASKETS)

AccordEpicenter
02-16-2006, 05:24 PM
i always thought you used hondabond instead of gaskets? Maybe im wrong

onliLX-i
02-17-2006, 08:20 AM
What is this, Hondabond you speak of? When I disassembled the tranny there were gaskets.

AZmike
02-17-2006, 09:04 AM
A thin layer of Gray permatex (probably much like Hondabond) has always sealed well for me when I've put the 5th gear cover back on. The transmission case gasket set isn't very expensive though. It includes both case gaskets and the speed sensor o-ring. I think it was $!7 when I got mine about a year ago.

onliLX-i
02-17-2006, 12:21 PM
Wow. The daelership is charging like 20 bucks for just the two gaskets. My real question is the compatability of these gaskets between the two trannys.

onliLX-i
02-21-2006, 08:05 AM
They ere the same for both trannys.

Swap_File
02-21-2006, 09:15 AM
I recently took apart my manual transmission, to check it out before swapping it in.

I was going to buy new gaskets from local Honda dealer, but could Gray Permatex be used insted for the gaskets marked #2 and #31 in the picture below?

http://img210.imageshack.us/img210/2508/untitled8xn1.th.png (http://img210.imageshack.us/my.php?image=untitled8xn1.png)

Or would the gaskets be better than permatex?

onliLX-i
02-21-2006, 02:52 PM
I would not suggest it. They create a trivial space between parts. Using liquid sealant you will lose that space. The gasket set with #2 and 31 is like $14. I just bought the set and it came in today. I would trust a gasket set over liquid sealant any day.