PDA

View Full Version : HELP spark plug!

FyreDaug
02-17-2006, 03:13 PM
So im switching plugs on my new 87 hatch I picked up, it had some misfire troubles so I figured id start with ignition... anyways, #3 plug was kind of a bitch to get out and it shows that one the plug itself, it has some "wear" marks where it was being hard to get out. The other 3 were fine.

And they were fine going back in, except #3, I think it may be cross threaded. I didnt notice when I pulled it out if it was sideways or anything but I pulled it out nonetheless. Now getting the new one in was tricky, it didnt line right up with the other ones, it was slightly more horizontal, but it went in about 1/8th of the way before getting tighter, so I gave it a little more and it didnt get easier. I tried pulling the plug out and then I noticed it was a little more horizontal so I tried putting lining it up the way the other ones were and it would go about the same distance, maybe a little less. But I know the way this one looks right now is right compared to my other a20 I have with a plug in the #3 hole. What the hell? Should I keep forcing it to go the way I know is right? Either way its not going all the way in right now. I didnt use alot of force that would cause it to be cross threaded.

Deadhead
02-17-2006, 04:18 PM
I'd say go to the junkyard and pull another head...

Honda-Master
02-17-2006, 09:36 PM
try retapping the plug hole

shepherd79
02-18-2006, 06:32 AM
sounds like you need to rethread the hole. you messed it up. if that doesn't fix it, you will have to replace the cylinder head.

88Accord-DX
02-18-2006, 05:11 PM
Heli-coil it, if a thread chaser don't work.

shepherd79
02-19-2006, 04:53 PM
i wouldn't use helicoil, under cylinder pressure, it may pop out.

system-f
02-19-2006, 05:42 PM
they make helicoil designed for plug holes, that stuff has a good record if installed correctly.

HondaBoy
02-19-2006, 05:48 PM
i'd retap that hole. it must have been put in cross threaded if it was already hard to get out. you dont cross thread things when disassembling them if they werent already messed up. anyway, i've always tried to be careful on aluminum heads, havent see too many that arent come to think of it. but never rush putting plugs into the head because thats what happens.

w261w261
02-19-2006, 06:20 PM
I never let anyone change my plugs, because if they screw it up you won't know about it for awhile, and then there'll be the problem you have.

Be careful when you try to solve the problem, however you do it, that you don't end up with metal down in the combustion chamber.

FyreDaug
02-21-2006, 09:51 AM
I should probably let you guys know how it turned out....

I cant remember if it was in cross-threaded or not before, but I put it in right now, but it doesnt go all the way in. About 70% of the way it stops.... well gets real tight and I dont want to put too much force into it.

It fixed my problem though, swapping plugs. So thats all im concerned about