PDA

View Full Version : new alt...Need help with new cable.

blahblahblah
02-17-2006, 06:59 PM
I just got the alt from an acura legend for the accord. Its 110amp. I was going to run new 4 gauge cable from the bat to alt..But I noticed that it dosent go to the bat...And I saw in a different post about it going to the fuse box...ok..I think I can do that..But what wire gos to the bat? Should I replace it to? will I be able to tell wile Im in there what wire it is?

EDIT: Should this go in Technical??..If so just move it if you can..

Mac
02-18-2006, 12:04 PM
The alternator wire does go to the under the hood fuse panel. The battery cable also goes to the under the hood fuse panel, but to a different terminal.

blahblahblah
02-19-2006, 09:49 PM
ok...I waited to get more info to start this...should I just replace from the alt to the box, or alt to box and bat to box????

And has anyone done this yet?

Sabz5150
02-19-2006, 10:19 PM
It's best to replace both along with your grounds. A chain is only as strong as its weakest link.

shepherd79
02-20-2006, 07:32 AM
no offence but stock battery wire is 4 gauge to start with. it just have thinner insulation around it.
if you want, you may want to replace it with 2 gauge wire.
remember to always upgrade ground wire with the same gauge. plus add some extra ground points around the engine bay.

blahblahblah
02-20-2006, 10:10 AM
the wire going alt to box looks like 8 gauge to me..Its really small stuff...

blahblahblah
02-20-2006, 11:17 AM
ok...I just went out and started on this....I found the bat to box wire and it is 4 gauge..So Im just going to leave it..I tryed to remove the fusebox or atlest flip it over...Not ez without removing everything I guess....I cant really see witch fuse the alt is going to..Im guessing its the 70amp..But not sure...

And again..has anyone done this yet?

Mac
02-20-2006, 06:28 PM
ok...I tryed to remove the fusebox or atlest flip it over...Not ez without removing everything I guess....I cant really see witch fuse the alt is going to..Im guessing its the 70amp..But not sure...
And again..has anyone done this yet?

No need to flip over or remove fuse box. Standing on passenger side looking at fuse box: Look right near the battery. You will see a cable going to the fuse box (looks like it is going to the bottom of fuse box) This is from the battery. If you take the fuse panel cover off, you will see a small black cover where the cable comes in. Just pop off the cover and you will see a phillips head screw. Take out that screw and the battery cable can be disconnected. This cable may be 8 gauge.

Same goes for the alternator cable. It is a little more toward the rear of the fuse panel(going toward the windshield). Again take off the black cover and remove the phillips head screw.
Alternator cable then can be disconnected.

blahblahblah
02-21-2006, 06:26 AM
I allready got the bat cable...You say the alt is the same way tho.But if I take it off...Im going to have hell trying to put it back if I dont flip it...It gos thu this boot thing I think...

blahblahblah
02-21-2006, 09:27 AM
you were dead on Mac...Thx a lot

FyreDaug
02-23-2006, 08:54 AM
As for alt to battery, get the + of the alt to a fused wire that goes directly to your battery. If youve got a 110A alternator, get a 110A fuse inline your 4awg.

And stock wires are NOT 4awg.

blahblahblah
02-23-2006, 01:29 PM
I just upgraded the stock wires..It dosnt go from alt to bat...its bat to fuse box, fuse box to alt...the fuse box to alt is a crapy 8 gauge, so I put in an 4 gauge. the bat to fuse box is a 4 gauge, so Im just leaving it...sound good to you guys?

ivanfbi
03-01-2006, 01:54 AM
there is no real need to upgrade from stock to 4g, if it was 2g or 0/1 then yes. Also, depending on your system, it may or may not help. I would leave it alone until i got something like 1500W RMS going on.

blahblahblah
03-16-2006, 10:35 PM
This is not a 1 day thing for me...The car is at a buddys house so I dont get much time to wok on it.....Anyways..I got the wires all out and Im tring to get the OEM terminals off the old wire..Not ez..I will get pics of them tomorrow...And Im putting in just under a 1500 watt RMS stereo..but I got fogs..Computer/modded xbox(not sure witch one yet)..CB radio..and lots of little things on the car...This mod is more piece of mind that I will have no power troubles...And next time I get over there...I will get pics to make a how-to ...

SQ is the SQUAD
03-19-2006, 04:34 PM
how many amps does the stock atl put out? what year legend should i look for the upgrade?

blahblahblah
03-19-2006, 09:14 PM
the stock 3rd gen accord is 65amps..wow huh...the legend alt is 110 amps..Big upgrade..I got mine from an 93'. I think 92' and up will work..the plug is the same..I got this idea from someone els here who did this already..There is just one thing to mod..You have to add a spacer(or washers) to make it fit...

MessyHonda
03-19-2006, 09:28 PM
the stock 3rd gen accord is 65amps..wow huh...the legend alt is 110 amps..Big upgrade..I got mine from an 93'. I think 92' and up will work..the plug is the same..I got this idea from someone els here who did this already..There is just one thing to mod..You have to add a spacer(or washers) to make it fit...

wow that is almost twice...lol yeah i ghetto riged my sound system...i have a 900RMS kicker amp(that im selling) and when i turned it up i would see my headlights dance to the beat of the song when i was at stop signs and it would do it even when i reved the engine to 5k. not a bad mod...but would i have to mess with the gounding wires if i do it? what legends are you talking about cuz when i went to the junky i saw like 2 v6 models. they have legend models 91-92 and 93-95 so witch one?

blahblahblah
03-19-2006, 09:33 PM
it must be 93' and up then..Its the last model thay made. I know that much...Thay have the exact same plug.And you really dont have to do a damn thing other then just drop it in..It will still help

86-accord-lxi
03-19-2006, 09:35 PM
So... stock 3 ga alt=65 amps
92-93 legend= 110 amps, plug is same, just need washers to make it fit
What size washers and how many ? I want to upgrade to the legend alt, But want to have everything I need to make it fit and work right before I go messing with it.
Would the legend alt be capable of running the stock electrical system, Plus a real 1500 watts rms ?

blahblahblah
03-19-2006, 09:45 PM
So... stock 3 ga alt=65 amps
92-93 legend= 110 amps, plug is same, just need washers to make it fit
What size washers and how many ? I want to upgrade to the legend alt, But want to have everything I need to make it fit and work right before I go messing with it.
Would the legend alt be capable of running the stock electrical system, Plus a real 1500 watts rms ?

Just the 93' and up will work..I havent finised this yet. So I cant give to meny anwsers yet..Heres the post were I learned about this..I know someone tryed to make a how-to about doing this..But I cant find it...
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=34328&highlight=Alternator
start to read when you see "RED LXI". He gets all credit for this mod

SQ is the SQUAD
03-20-2006, 05:15 PM
chris, what r u doing on friday. i got the day off from work and want to do a jy run

SQ is the SQUAD
03-20-2006, 06:10 PM
ill vlet you know if i see anything good.

how much was that alt?