PDA

View Full Version : Winter Tire Question

Fuzy Navel
02-17-2006, 11:12 PM
Just a quick question i just bought 215-45-17 Fuzion tires yesterday because my tires were bald and it was gonna start snowing... Well it snowed and on my way from work i could barely make it out and onto the road without slipping and slidding every where the snowplows havent been threw this spot yet but it was just insane and then i almost hit a freakin light pole turning very very slowley and then the car just kept going straight and i almost wrecked the front end.... anyways question is if i lower my tire pressure in my front wheels to like 20 lbs will it grip better? i heard that some where that it would because there not as stiff and they flex more to give it a better grip plz help i have to go to work tommrow.. well i dont have too.. i can call in... :P

Oldblueaccord
02-17-2006, 11:16 PM
Do yourself a favor and the rest of the drivers out there.

Just get some old 13" rims and skinny tires you ll be much better off.

wp

Fuzy Navel
02-17-2006, 11:24 PM
alright i will do that :P

Vanilla Sky
02-18-2006, 07:08 AM
new tires are covered in thier release oils when you buy them.

and yes, the skinnier tires with more sidewall will help TONS. there is a reason you can still buy snow tires in the smaller rim sizes, you know?

halxi
02-18-2006, 08:01 PM
low pros + snow = no traction

lowering your tire pressure on low pros wont help you, theres no sidewall tread to them. Almost ALL of the tread lugs are already on the contact surface, there is a minimal sidewall tread.

The whole idea behind lowering tire pressure is that you get the sidewall tread down on the ground for a larger contact area with the lugs.

AccordRacing21
02-18-2006, 11:11 PM
Yeah, 13 or 14" snow tires would be much better. I wouldn't run under 25 psi though.