PDA

View Full Version : Coilovers vs Drop Springs? What to get for best performance?

maxsideburn
02-21-2006, 12:47 PM
I was just wondering, I've seen multiple topics describing certain coilovers, or certain springs, but if you were going for a really nice handling suspension what would you go for? (Keep in mind we're talking cheap eBay parts) Cheap springs or Cheap coilovers?

Acid X
02-21-2006, 01:12 PM
Springs for sure. You should look for Dropzone's.. I have a set and they ride awesome with my Tokico's.

I got mine from this site for 45$ though. Ebay still has them for cheap.. Especially since i think the MSRP is about 100$.. :p

maxsideburn
02-21-2006, 01:17 PM
$45? You mean from someone on this site?

shepherd79
02-21-2006, 01:37 PM
I would never go cheap on suspension. That just stupid. You are going to be playing with something that will keep you on the road.

Dropzone springs or coilovers are way-way too stiff for any struts on the market. You will have to get custom Bilstein made.

If you want lower ride, get Intrax springs. they are 33% stiffer than stock springs and Tokico struts should work, but they may be pushing it trying to handle stiffer springs.
Save money and buy good shit.

maxsideburn
02-21-2006, 04:58 PM
hmm, is that mostly a problem with these cars since the limited number of struts available? I had a 95 integra with dropzone springs and stock struts, handled great for years.

A20A1
02-21-2006, 05:58 PM
Some people use the 90-97 accord Adj. Springs.
I have some on my car. I honestly liked my cut springs over the Adj, perches.
I was actually lower and it road better... with enough weight (50-100lbs) in the back to keep the car from bouncing.

Beaver
02-21-2006, 10:46 PM
I thought cutting springs was bad/ghetto?... I've seen cars with camber/castor problems when they do stuff like that?...

A20A1
02-22-2006, 12:18 AM
I'm not saying cutting the the right thing to do. I just liked it more then the 90-97 coils I got.

you can do the prelude upper control arm mod to the front for camber correction.

Acid X
02-22-2006, 01:26 AM
Why is it that everyone thinks the Dropzone springs are super stiff? They aren't stiff, man. It's a comfortable ride!

I have them on my car, i would know. Haha. THe ride is really great, trust me on this.. The Dropzone Coilovers are what are stiff as crap though. I wouldn't get them at all..

I got my springs for 45$ used from another member here, and they ride great. They had about 10k miles on them when i got them... So i dont know if they're just softer because of miles, but i really doubt it.

I think you, or anyone, would be satisfied with the ride that tokicos and dropzone springs give. I know i am..

maxsideburn
02-22-2006, 06:54 AM
I'm just looking for a nice tight suspension like I had on my Integra. I wasn't the one who had tinkered with it, so I wouldn't know, but it looked to me like it was just on some dropzone springs with stock struts and it handled soooooo good.

Acid X does your car handle much better now that it's been dropped and put on tokicos?

accordrollingon18z
02-22-2006, 07:46 AM
ive got 1.25 springs but have not got them on yet afraid the 18 inch wheels wont turn

wprocomp
02-22-2006, 12:53 PM
i have a set of 90-97 accord coilovers for sale lemme know if you want em

shepherd79
02-22-2006, 01:16 PM
beforeyou start lowering your car you may want to read up the sticky threads.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=11093
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48185
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48187

That should answer some questions.

My old accord was lowered on Intrax springs. I did it cheap way. I had Intrax springs (I got them from my parts car). I used Stock honda struts. When i called Intrax they told me that springs are 33% stiffer, but the spring rates were just a little higher than stock. The car rode much better in turns, but when ever i hit the bump, the front would bounce a little. or the back when it was loaded.

oldschool3g
03-12-2006, 12:05 PM
can you fit dropzone adjustable coilovers....over your stock shocks or struts?

bullard123
03-12-2006, 01:14 PM
I have sprint 2.25 inch springs on my hatch and they handle fine. They are a lot stiffer than stock but I can't wit to see how they handle with my new tokico's.

Vanilla Sky
03-12-2006, 10:30 PM
if i were going "cheap," i would go stock. it's stupid to hack something together like your suspension.

89AccordResto
03-13-2006, 08:49 AM
if i were going "cheap," i would go stock. it's stupid to hack something together like your suspension.

Indeed. Plus anything stiffer needs better shocks to control the springs, otherwise you're going to get the mexi-bounce in about a year or so. Then you'll have to start replacing your struts on a regular basis.

oldschool3g
03-13-2006, 10:28 AM
thanks guys....well i think im going to go with tokico shocks and tokico springs....how doeas that sound?

bobafett
03-13-2006, 09:39 PM
i woudl get cheap ebay coilovers (usually 450lbs front and rear) and then you will need revalved bilstiens to actually use them without bouncing, so that jacks the price up, but it would be a quality setup!

oldschool3g
03-13-2006, 09:44 PM
so if i kept my dropzone coilovers...and get revalved struts...it wont be bouncy anymore?

Vanilla Sky
03-13-2006, 10:54 PM
yeah, but aren't the revalved bilstiens like $800 by the time you have them shipped around?

go with GCs and get lower spring rates and run tokicos if you want the ability to cornerweight and a lower ride if that's what you're concerned about. you'll have pretty soft springs, but it's still going to be better than stock.

89AccordResto
03-14-2006, 09:53 AM
so if i kept my dropzone coilovers...and get revalved struts...it wont be bouncy anymore?

Depends on what the struts were valved at. Bouncyness is because the struts cannot control the compression or rebound of the springs, because they're too weak (or worn). Getting them revalved to be stiffer COULD solve the problem if they were stiff enough to control the springs, but I'm not sure how to calculate all that. I'm sure there's someplace online that let's you enter your spring rates and then tells you what your struts/shocks need to be valved at.

bobafett
03-14-2006, 10:38 AM
you just call bilstein, and say "match these struts to a 450 lbs coilover spring" also this is a good chance to get the struts shortened if you plan on having a dumped ride.

and yeah it probably costs $800 by the time you get them, ship them to bilstien, pay to have them modified, and then shipped back to you, but 800 is cheap for 'real' suspension... thats still SUB 1k, which is about the line for decent quality setup.

i would not recomend ground controls with SOFTER springs, and tokico shocks... if you lower the car much its still going to be a miserable ride.