PDA

View Full Version : Brake rotors: solid -vs- slotted/drilled

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-06-2002, 12:45 PM
Ok so I replaced my rotors a couple months ago with some cheapo's, and sure enough they're already warped like shit. I'm not gonna have them turned because I know they'll just warp again, so I'm gonna get the good ones. I can't decide though to either go with the regular rotors (good ones, lol), or fork over the extra $$$ for cross drilled or slotted.

Can someone give me some experienced opinions on these things? I've never driven a car with them on before so I just want to find out if it's worth the extra $$. I don't do alot of heavy braking, but I do like to have some extra braking power to spare. The solid rotors are about $31 each, whereas the drilled/slotted range from about $65-$85 each (from what I've found)

If someone could enlighten me I'd appreciate it greatly!

RCracer
05-06-2002, 01:09 PM
Hi
one of my mates has just put cross drilled and slotted discs onto his car.(it isnt a honda). He also put high performance matching(same make) pads in. The brake performance has improved, no fade and it does seem to have improved things greatly.
The brakes are quite noisy now (sort of rough sounding) though.
Just my opinion. I am considering some as my discs are getting a little tired.
Paul

OldSchoolSwap
05-06-2002, 03:14 PM
Originally posted by Jareds 89 LX-i
Ok so I replaced my rotors a couple months ago with some cheapo's, and sure enough they're already warped like shit. I'm not gonna have them turned because I know they'll just warp again, so I'm gonna get the good ones. I can't decide though to either go with the regular rotors (good ones, lol), or fork over the extra $$$ for cross drilled or slotted.

Can someone give me some experienced opinions on these things? I've never driven a car with them on before so I just want to find out if it's worth the extra $$. I don't do alot of heavy braking, but I do like to have some extra braking power to spare. The solid rotors are about $31 each, whereas the drilled/slotted range from about $65-$85 each (from what I've found)

If someone could enlighten me I'd appreciate it greatly!

Well, cross drilled & slotted will only help you with "cooling" witch in turn will help you against fading and being unable to brake at high speeds. It won't really give you an extra grip at low speeds it'll just work slighly cooler though, thus having a better chance of your rotors not warping as freakwently. Note i said freakwently because this will not garantee not warping the new ones simply beacause the way a driver drives his/her car.

Example: if you just finished a good hard brake and your rotors are steaming hot, then you meet with a nice juicy cold puddle.... guess what'll happen to ANY ROTOR..... :super: Tha'ts right! WARP! Notice i said any rotor (including my AEM rotor too will warp);)

Stay away from puddles at all times when braking more than normal sirbcustances.

There's my .02

Jims 86LXI HB
05-06-2002, 06:57 PM
Another key benefit to drilled (or dimpled, which is what I have) slotted rotors is this. When you make a extended heavy brake application your pads give off gases. Those gases create a film that prevents your pads from fully contacting the rotors. The drilled slotted rotor surface breaks that film allowing your pads to better stay in contact with the rotor theirby reducing fad and improving braking performance.

However, this type of rotor have 2 draw backs, one being noise under heavy brake applications. They make a strange kinda whirling sound, that's doesn't stop until you ease up on the pedal. Secondly if you are the type of person that use's your brakes frequently your pads will wear much faster than if you'd went with plain rotor's. I have heard stories of 50% or greater pad wear rates. But I don't think they are in the majority.

Scott89hondalxi
05-06-2002, 07:36 PM
I bought some cheep rotors about a year ago, and they blew.....so I just picked up a set of Brembo's for $32 each......and some nippon pads too.

Jareds 89 LX-i
05-06-2002, 09:25 PM
Sweet....thanks guys. That's what I needed to know. I'll probably just end up getting the solid rotors then, since I really don't do any high speed or hard braking. If there wasn't such a price difference I would go ahead with the drilled/slotted, but that's a big difference!

Scott -- where'd you get the Brembos? Are the ones on Nopi for $32 the ones you're talking about? Oh and I think I'm gonna go with the Axxis Metal Master pads -- heard alot of good things about 'em

:)

Scott89hondalxi
05-07-2002, 08:03 PM
I got them at a local import auto parts place......I love my new pads, no dust at all, my rims stay nice and clean :)