PDA

View Full Version : Any info on replacing the fornt crossmember

Accordtheory
02-22-2006, 12:03 PM
I doubt anyone has done this, except maybe the guy with the full race kit, wickedaccord..however, I still need to if I want to have enough clearance for a big downpipe, or even if I want to run the factory tri-y b series manifold. The only one that will fit now is the b18a1 4-1 manifold.
Anyone know anything about this?

How close is one for another car..civic/integra, whatever..

Accordtheory
02-22-2006, 06:31 PM
damn it! Why doesn't the thing let me edit my title?

thegreatdane
02-23-2006, 10:14 AM
You could always just hack up your stock crossmember?

Civic/CRX guys also have to do that when they put on a large header.

Legend_master
02-23-2006, 01:48 PM
You could always just hack up your stock crossmember?
Civic/CRX guys also have to do that when they put on a large header.

That is what I woulds do, but mine had plenty of clearence. This is the best picture I could find.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v667/Legend_Master/Slimfan.jpg

Accordtheory
02-23-2006, 07:29 PM
I don't think think your engine is farther back than mine..wtf..mine almost is hitting the back crossmember..did you try to fit the factory gsr manifold? Mine comes out about 1/1/2" maybe into the crossmember.

Ruined my plans..damn it..I wanted to use that manifold and make a top mount turbo setup with it..

Legend_master
02-23-2006, 09:20 PM
I don't think think your engine is farther back than mine..wtf..mine almost is hitting the back crossmember..did you try to fit the factory gsr manifold? Mine comes out about 1/1/2" maybe into the crossmember.
Ruined my plans..damn it..I wanted to use that manifold and make a top mount turbo setup with it..

Like the the great dane said, alot of the CRX guys jsut cut a notch out of the member.

Accordtheory
02-23-2006, 10:31 PM
that's too ghetto for me though..

well, f it, I'll post pics if I make my own crossmember..

Legend_master
02-23-2006, 11:48 PM
that's too ghetto for me though..
well, f it, I'll post pics if I make my own crossmember..

Dude just cut it slightly and weld it to make it look clean. Then paint it and it should not look to bad.

Accordtheory
02-25-2006, 01:08 AM
I think innovativemounts.com has one for the crx, maybe I can use one like that..

89T
02-25-2006, 08:07 AM
i was looking at the same thing when i was building my manifold with the t3/t4. After looking at pic's of some of you'r guy's setups i looked at putting the filter side of the turbo on the passenger side but then my 3" down pipe would'nt fit. I switched it around to the driver side and left enough room to get a 4" 90 deg. bend on the filter side. This left enough room for the 3" down pipe.
i did remove the ac pump and the power steering pump.

the funny thing is that i swaped the 3" for a 2.5" just to see the difference between the down pipes and the turbo actually seems to spool faster. ?

you could build a new cross member or cut a nice round section out of you'r existing one ,then heat and form a steel plate in the opening(welding as you go), finnish up with a grinder and sand paper paint or powder coat...

Legend_master
02-25-2006, 10:59 AM
I think innovativemounts.com has one for the crx, maybe I can use one like that..

I think the crx is not as wide as our cars, so that most likely would not fit.

i was looking at the same thing when i was building my manifold with the t3/t4. After looking at pic's of some of you'r guy's setups i looked at putting the filter side of the turbo on the passenger side but then my 3" down pipe would'nt fit. I switched it around to the driver side and left enough room to get a 4" 90 deg. bend on the filter side. This left enough room for the 3" down pipe.
i did remove the ac pump and the power steering pump.

the funny thing is that i swaped the 3" for a 2.5" just to see the difference between the down pipes and the turbo actually seems to spool faster. ?

you could build a new cross member or cut a nice round section out of you'r existing one ,then heat and form a steel plate in the opening(welding as you go), finnish up with a grinder and sand paper paint or powder coat...

I think that cutting the member would be the best way to do it, but fabing one up from scratch might not be a bad Idea either.

88LXi68
02-26-2006, 09:28 AM
I notched my front crossmember and had a shop weld it up and close it off nicely, it looks really clean, but still hits a bit. If you want to try a different crossmember try a 90-93 Integra one, they are closer in size to our car than a CRX. I believe Placeracing actually made a special crossmember for those cars too.

Accordtheory
02-26-2006, 04:20 PM
I really don't want to hack up the factory crossmember. I figure I've already weakened everything enough by taking out the beam that ties the front and back crossmembers together.
89turboed, you still have the a20, right? With the b series, you don't have as much room between the front of the engine and the crossmember. I ran a 3" downpipe before with only minor hammering.

I would also like to upgrade the radius arms, although not with spherical rod ends. Maybe I can solve 2 problems at once here. I guess I still have some more work to do, but not yet.. I still need to get the car running, refereed, and smogged before I solve this and put my holset turbo and the rest of my shit on.

thegreatdane
02-27-2006, 11:41 AM
I'm sure you can cut some of it away and weld it back together without removing enough strength for it to matter.

I'm thinking cutting it half in the problem area and remove a chunk of it(looking down on it in legend masters picture), save the chunk and remove enough material from the cut side of your chunk to create enough space behind the crossmember. Cut some of the chunks lenght away too to go for a cleaner look so you can weld in some new sheetmetal to create a 45 degree transition. But before you weld it back together reinforce the crossmember from the inside with some solid steel.

That should go for a clean look and a solid crossmember. But that's just one way of doing it. If you want to weld up a custom crossmember that's just as good, only it's going to be more difficult to fab up. Just throwing in some suggestions. Maybe you dont even know what the heck I'm talking about lol

SQ is the SQUAD
02-27-2006, 03:45 PM
if you go over to honda-tech.com and search diy traction bars there where a bunch of people building front bars with tow hooks and levers that connect to the control arms like our setup

SQ is the SQUAD
02-27-2006, 03:48 PM
i did yall a favor

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=809895

http://honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=812467

SQ is the SQUAD
02-27-2006, 03:56 PM
more good info i just found

http://www.honda-tech.com/zerothread?id=1419573