PDA

View Full Version : High pitch whistle ---HELP!----

spnrx
02-22-2006, 12:46 PM
Hey my gee has a new issue. It started yesterday when I was leaving from my new job @ Xbox Live. I started hearing a whistle come from my engine bay. What could it be? I know a good bit about cars but the one thing I'm still learning is troble shooting.

I'd rather not be stuck somewhere so please someone shed a light on my prob

Thanks
Spnr X

Cheeseburger
02-22-2006, 12:51 PM
oppss wrong thead sorry dude

spnrx
02-22-2006, 12:53 PM
oppss wrong thead sorry dude
Damnit no info! grrr LOL JK it's alright

3rdgenhatchDX
02-22-2006, 01:15 PM
guessing power steering belt... try pushing the gas a lil, does it get louder, scuse me higher(in pitch?)?

onliLX-i
02-22-2006, 01:20 PM
Does it sound electrical or mechanical? Is it louder if you listen under the hood or in the car.

spnrx
02-23-2006, 10:28 AM
guessing power steering belt... try pushing the gas a lil, does it get louder, scuse me higher(in pitch?)?
Yes the pitch gets higher when I rev it. And if it is th PS belt where is the damn thing?

racerx
02-23-2006, 11:52 AM
are you talking about a squeek like a belt slipping? in that case, check the belts on the driver's side of the engine.

the power steering pump is the top accessory on the front, driver's side of the engine.

check the tension. if it feels too loose, you can just adjust it. if it feels tight, then you either need to get some belt-slip-spray stuff. you can find it at the parts store, but it will only stop the problem for a few days at best. you'll need a new belt thereafter.

shepherd79
02-23-2006, 03:25 PM
1. if it is speed related, the faster you go the louder the whisle gets, you have bad front bearing (s).
2. If it is RPM related, the faster the engine the louder the noice. Check the belts. If belts are fine, check the water pump. Sometimes thebearing goes out and they start making whistling sounds.

i hope that helps.

3rdgenhatchDX
02-23-2006, 03:34 PM
:werd: to all that was said, my waterpump's noise was bad, i got it and all the belts replaced, try doing what i did, all new belts and a tune up :)

NXRacer
02-23-2006, 06:13 PM
is it a whistle or a squeal?

if its a whistle, did you get a cold air intake or short ram or a new filter? My intake whistled for a LONG time. Only when i got my exhaust done did it go away but i think thats due to the exhaust being louder than the whistle :D

if its a squeal, check what has been mentioned above

spnrx
02-23-2006, 07:18 PM
Thanks now the real question how the hell do I change my belt!? Where is the tensioner and how much would new bearing cost?

88Accord-DX
02-23-2006, 08:19 PM
The belt can be adjusted by the alternator.

buds302
02-23-2006, 08:35 PM
Hey my gee has a new issue. It started yesterday when I was leaving from my new job @ Xbox Live. I started hearing a whistle come from my engine bay. What could it be? I know a good bit about cars but the one thing I'm still learning is troble shooting.
I'd rather not be stuck somewhere so please someone shed a light on my prob
Thanks
Spnr X

you say you know a good bit about cars but from what were seeing here is that you know nuthin about it. anybody who knows anything about cars knows where the PS pump is. anybody who ever drove a honda or even looked in the engine bay should know where it is....they are in the same place on every thing honda makes.... as for an american car it might be harder to spot.

racerx
02-23-2006, 09:38 PM
you say you know a good bit about cars but from what were seeing here is that you know nuthin about it. anybody who knows anything about cars knows where the PS pump is. anybody who ever drove a honda or even looked in the engine bay should know where it is....they are in the same place on every thing honda makes.... as for an american car it might be harder to spot.
keep it to yourself. there was a time when you didn't know jack and probably looked like a moron trying to prove something. everybody's gotta learn sometime. :wave:
you drive an isuzu, a gm, and a civic! what's that say about you?
(just messin wit ya, man :) )

buds302
02-25-2006, 08:53 AM
actualy i need to edit that....just havent got around to it..i only own the civic

russiankid
02-26-2006, 08:02 PM
Thanks now the real question how the hell do I change my belt!? Where is the tensioner and how much would new bearing cost?if you are refering to the water pump bearing, you cant replace it, you replace the whole water pump.

Gemini2003
02-27-2006, 02:06 PM
I know a good bit about cars but the one thing I'm still learning is troble shooting.

Yeah but most of us who are just learning we don't say we know stuff about cars :-)

Oh well :-)

CHonda
03-14-2006, 11:24 AM
had the same problem less than a month ago .. the bearings in the tensioner ceased up and caused the timing belt to squeal/whistle.
I had the same symptoms as you, so check that out .
In case you didnt know, to get to the timing belt you have to remove the valve cover 1st and then the plastic cover 2nd (right next to it) covering the belt... gluck