PDA

View Full Version : need switched 12v!

FyreDaug
02-22-2006, 05:26 PM
For my deck im about to install in my 87 hatch I need a switched 12V. Ive got a constant and a working ground (not sure about spk wires yet) but I assume the switched source is supposed to be red/black stripe? If so it doesnt work. The radio fuse is good and has 12V at it..... I didnt check if its switched or not... is there another fuse besides radio that I should check? Ive got a haynes

Mac
02-22-2006, 06:00 PM
No the red/black wire is for the lights. You will only get 12 v when the headlights are on. You want to use the yellow/red wire for power.

FyreDaug
02-23-2006, 05:52 AM
The only yellow wire that is there is constant power. So "memory" on the deck. I need a switched 12v "supply" to make the deck turn on and off when the car is on or off like it should. I'm missing switched 12v.

btw, my clock doesnt work. Guy said it was "burned out" fuse still?

86-accord-lxi
02-23-2006, 08:13 AM
1986-1989 Honda Accord Stereo wiring :

Constant 12v+ : White/Yellow
Switched 12v+ : Yellow/Red
Ground :Black
Illlumination : Red/Black
Antenna Trigger : Yellow/White
Antenna : Drivers pillar
Front speakers :
Left front+ : Blue/Green
Left front- : Gray/Black
Right front+ : Red/Green
Right front- : Brown/Black
Rear speakers:
Left rear+ : Blue/Yellow
Left rear- : Gray/White
Right rear+ : Red/Yellow
Right rear- : Brown/White

FyreDaug
02-23-2006, 08:49 AM
hmm... well I think the yellow/red one is the one im using for constant. Its yellow thats for sure, not sure about what stripe color it is. All the speaker wire colors match up and ive got the black (ground). Ive got the illumination one aswell, and a white one with I think a yellow stripe give 0.2V (still a reading) regardless if car is on or not... wtf is up with the wiring for this car? Does the clock not working have anything to do with it do you think? Because the clock turns on when the car is on, so maybe they run off the same circuit and its only a bad fuse somewhere? remember, the only fuse I did check was radio. 10A, gets power and fuse is good.

edit: im at work, and clearly cant check... thus the questions. Id like to get some info before I get into it later

Mac
02-23-2006, 03:38 PM
The yellow/red wire should only have power when the key is on.

The white/yellow wire is the constant power. If your clock works when the car is on but resets after shut down, your constant power is not working. Check fuse #11 (10A) in the under the hood fuse/relay panel.

FyreDaug
02-24-2006, 01:45 PM
No the clock just doesnt turn on, hopefully ill have some time tonight to look. But that sure isnt the way it was operating.

FyreDaug
02-24-2006, 05:02 PM
turns out the only one that doesnt work is the constant 12V, the white with yellow has no voltage... where does it come from? The switched one goes through the radio fuse, I found that out. Any other ideas? So to recap, I need a constant 12V now... worste case scenario ill tap into something else (cig lighter) but maybe its a fuse.

Mac
02-24-2006, 06:45 PM
The white/yellow wire comes from fuse#11 in the under the hood fuse/relay panel.

Mac
02-24-2006, 06:54 PM
No the clock just doesnt turn on.

Check fuse # 2 (10A) in the dash fuse panel.

3rdgenhatchDX
02-25-2006, 09:03 AM
i wouldn't tap into your cig lighter, my 87 hatch's cig lighter stays constant even when the car's off. if you leave anything in your cig lighter (i.e. radar detector) overnight or for a long time, your battery goes dead.

read my post about the stock radio wiring, it should help, haven't you bought a new connector from wal-mart?

FyreDaug
02-26-2006, 12:05 PM
No the deck that WAS in this car was stolen, so it was just cut off. Ill check fuse 2. Fuse 11 is radio correct? If so, that is getting power to the switched 12V. If I pull the radio fuse, the switched 12V no longer turns on. Damn car.

Mac
02-26-2006, 03:17 PM
Fuse #2 in the dash fuse panel is for the clock.

Fuse #11 in the under the hood fuse/relay panel is the constant 12v for memory.

onehotaccord
02-26-2006, 08:52 PM
i just ran a wire from the battery to the radio for a constant. cause the constant wire wasnt getting any power. guy i bought the car from tried to put a stereo in and failed to get it to work, but i think maybe he burned up the constant power wire, it was black/burnt. i did have the constant/mem and power wire spliced together into the switched wire(yellow/red) it worked, but the radio lights would dim at musical peak. and i had to adjust all eq settings the way i like everytime i started the car and the radio stations didnt were never set, but i dont listen to the radio anyway. goodluck.

FyreDaug
02-27-2006, 05:43 AM
i just ran a wire from the battery to the radio for a constant. cause the constant wire wasnt getting any power. guy i bought the car from tried to put a stereo in and failed to get it to work, but i think maybe he burned up the constant power wire, it was black/burnt. i did have the constant/mem and power wire spliced together into the switched wire(yellow/red) it worked, but the radio lights would dim at musical peak. and i had to adjust all eq settings the way i like everytime i started the car and the radio stations didnt were never set, but i dont listen to the radio anyway. goodluck.

yeah thats pretty much how its set up right now. I didnt put the deck all the way in (its just hanging there, and the harness is all set up, except for constant) so I think im gonna have to run one directly off the battery. Kinda stupid, and it shouldnt take this long to put a deck in. Fuse 2 and 11 are both good. Still no clock

spnrx
02-27-2006, 06:36 AM
When I got my car everything was missing. Spekers, stereo, and glovebox......yeah so I understand your pain. The dumbass thief cut all the wire including the wires from the anttenna and the fuckin' cig lighter. Neither of which work in my car still. Cheapo speakers and an ok deck and it's loud as hell. Good luck!

3rdgenhatchDX
02-27-2006, 07:23 AM
weird thing, i just installed a shift light, my clock doesn't work now :(

FyreDaug
03-04-2006, 08:06 AM
I just tapped cig lighter and it works good