PDA

View Full Version : My 86 Accord leaks at the drivers side firewall...

hawaii80
02-22-2006, 06:54 PM
Anyone ever have the problem of a leak at the firewall area, but must be coming down from inside the air intake area at the windshield wipers grill. No rust or dirty water coming thru, and my car isn't rusted either. Its really bad when at the car wash, so I know its maybe a plugged drain hole, but how do you locate it if it's where I said it was. It runs down the corner of the left side by your feet and the front firewall. Short of tearing everything out from under my dash at my feet, I thought I would try this forum..

EricW
02-22-2006, 08:33 PM
I had a leak on the other side in the same place and sealed every place imaginable from the outside and it still didn't work. I ended up having to take the dash off and pulling the sound deadener off the fire wall to find it.

I think there is a drain for the antenna or something on that side you may want to check. Also check the gromet where the wire harness enters the passenger compartment and make sure it is sealed. Your probably going to end up taking the dash off to find it anyway. Removing the dash isn't that hard as long as you haven't run any wire for an alarm or anything else that is connected to both sides of the wire harness where the dash harness joins the body harness.

AC439
02-22-2006, 08:37 PM
I had a leak on the other side in the same place and sealed every place imaginable from the outside and it still didn't work. I ended up having to take the dash off and pulling the sound deadener off the fire wall to find it.

I have the same leak problem on the passenger side too. Where is the sound deadener? How much stuffs you had to pull before you can get to it? Thanks.

3gn86lxi
02-22-2006, 08:38 PM
Sunroof??????????

EricW
02-22-2006, 08:42 PM
I have the same leak problem on the passenger side too. Where is the sound deadener? How much stuffs you had to pull before you can get to it? Thanks.

Drop the steering colum and remove the dash. Then just fold the tabs ou straight and unthread some of the fasteners the remove the sound deadener and you should be able to seen the seam where the dash joins the fire wall. My leak was where the dash joined the fire wall. I have some pics if you would like to see them.

A20A1
02-22-2006, 11:58 PM
I agree with is possibly being the antenna.

Have you tried removing your wiper blades and removing the plastic grill to inspect the passages in there?

Where in Hawaii do you live? I'm on Oahu, Mililani.

AC439
02-23-2006, 04:50 AM
Drop the steering colum and remove the dash. Then just fold the tabs ou straight and unthread some of the fasteners the remove the sound deadener and you should be able to seen the seam where the dash joins the fire wall. My leak was where the dash joined the fire wall. I have some pics if you would like to see them.

Thanks much ! I have never got to the sound deadener so I'd appreciate if you would share your pics. :)

VTEC_Inside
02-23-2006, 07:32 AM
Re: passenger side leaks. I had on leaking into the open area behind the passenger side kick panel.

I had to pull the passenger fender off to see where it was comming from. It was right in that corner covered by the fender, a little f'in rust hole. Sanded it all down, primed it with some nice epoxy build-up primer a couple times. Then I filled the hole with silicone and built up the area around it a bit to direct water flow.

I also had rust inside the cowl area on that side, but I took that to a shop to be fixed. That one at least you could see pretty easy. That little hole was an elusive bugger.

Behind the shock towers where the metal meets the firewall is also a pretty bad area. Pull your octopus box and wiper motor out of the way to have a look.

EricW
02-23-2006, 07:47 AM
Heres the pics.

Leak 1 (http://www.knology.net/~ericrw/Pics/Leak%201.jpg)
Leak 2 (http://www.knology.net/~ericrw/Pics/Leak%202.jpg)

You both may want to check inside the fender well behind the plastic piece to make sure there are no rust holes.

w261w261
02-23-2006, 09:13 AM
If the left front sunroof drain hose is clogged, it will back up to the Y connector at the power antenna drain. See message #2 in this thread:
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=47864&highlight=leak+antenna

Although I couldn't get a hand in there to rehook the antenna drain connection, cleaning out the end of the sunroof drain behind the left fender took care of the problem.

AC439
02-23-2006, 09:17 AM
Thanks Vtecinside and Eric for the info. I definitely notice rust (and a hole) at that low spot behind the strut tower. With Eric's pics, it makes sense that the rusting area behind the tower allows water to get in there too. Looks like I have to pull out the glove box and the blower behind to access that location. I'll look into that and see if the rusting hole is the problem.

Thanks !

hawaii80
02-26-2006, 06:25 PM

I think there is a drain for the antenna or something on that side you may want to check. Also check the gromet where the wire harness enters the passenger compartment and make sure it is sealed. Your probably going to end up taking the dash off to find it anyway. Removing the dash isn't that hard as long as you haven't run any wire for an alarm or anything else that is connected to both sides of the wire harness where the dash harness joins the body harness.
Thanks Eric and everyone for your advice, when I have more time I shall have to get at the leak problem in a serious way.