PDA

View Full Version : :wtf: Rear brake drum -Help-

spnrx
02-24-2006, 09:59 AM
Ok! I have been losing brake fluid rapidly so I decided in between school and work I'll jack the car up and look for leaks. When I walked over to my car I noticed a little puddle of brake fluid coming from the rear driverside tire.

I took the tire off and I could see it dripping but I couldnt make out from where. I have two questions for you guys.

1> Would it be better to change to disc brakes in the rear?
2> If not what would be your suggestion?

spnrx
02-24-2006, 11:53 AM
Is there a bleeder on them and if there is where so at least for now I can make sure that's not the issue. I've looked and looked and I can't see where it's coming from.......*sigh*

HondaBoy
02-24-2006, 12:02 PM
its probley the cylinder inside the drum. i had to replace the ones on my accord. they are quite easy to replace yourself if you are good with taking things apart and putting them back together. at this time i'm taking a brakes class in college. if you need some help ask me whatever you might need to know and i'll tell you as best i can what to do. but yeah, you need to get that taken care of. the part you will need to replace is between $20 and $40 depending on which one you get, i think the price mainly depends on the warrenty length. i'd recommend the lifetime if you need to buy that part. also you will probley need to buy new brake shoes, most likely if its leaking visibly outside the drum its all over the shoe and braking material. after replacing the wheel cylinder you need to bleed the brakes on that side you've done it on. so if you dont know what your doing, please let a professional do it so you dont mess up and lose your brakes.

86-accord-lxi
02-24-2006, 12:14 PM
Yep, Wheel cylinder. I was at a freinds house watching the animals and the house while they were out of town, I got in my car, started it, went to put the brakes on and put it in gear, as soon as I hit the brakes, The pedal collapsed to the floor. Checked everything out, looked under the car and there was brake fluid all over by the rear drivers side tire. Turns out it was the wheel cylinder. While your at it , inspect your shoes, drums, and hardware. More than likely they need to be replaced.

spnrx
02-24-2006, 12:27 PM
Great! you guys helped me so much! I gotta go buy that damn book again! I can't find my haynes book which would help me alot. but I like being able to talk to people who have done the precedure and can warn me about thing to come. I would have never thought to bleed my brakes after changing the Cylinder.

Thanks again, oh and I'll post on it again once I've finished.