PDA

View Full Version : Not an accord, but maybe somebody knows civics well?

Deadhead
02-25-2006, 11:47 AM
Some of you may have remembered me having problems with my car from a previous thread. One of the problems was the IACV.... however, not.... the ground wire going into the plug did not end up going to a ground...

So I cut the wire, and routed a new ground wire to the plug. That fixed that problem.

Now for the others.
I pulled the codes P0122 and P0113 which is the IAT sensor and the TP sensor. I have a SRI and that is where i'm assuming the IAT sensor is. It has 2 wires to it.

The Throttle position sensor I took off becaseu I thought that was my problem beforehand. It works, but it is not adjusted properly.

With the IAT, IS this the same one as what is OEM? or did they get an aftermarket one?

I unplug the IAT just to see if anything changes, and yup, sure enough, nothing changes.
Something tells me i've got another wire problem or the sensor is just fuxxored. How do I test the sensor separate from the wiring? I've got a multimeter, Do I check for resistance?

Symptoms that the car has as of now:

Hard starting -- takes much more cranking than it should to fire it up, but when it catches.... it goes.

Suring idle at 1700 rpm. You press on the gas when at idle and the surge becomes more and more "stronger" and then eventually goes up to 3.5k rpm when you push the pedal hard enough. You cannot get it to stay at 1800-3400 rpm when in neutral.... however you can when you are driving it.

Low power. It should have more.... my friends 2000 civic LX auto has more get up and go. Mine is the EX coupe, so it should have over 20 more hp at the crank.... not to mention I've got a maunal.

Ok, I found out something else that might pertain to these problems.

I looked at the ECU and it's got "97 Civic CP ST" writen all over it in orange lettering.

The numbers for the ECU are as follows:

37820-P2E-L01-901-108189 Then below it, it has "EF" written in large letters.

Number on the board --- IPT M1Y-C 0014T-L5000-01

My car is an 1996 EJ8.... is this the WRONG ECU?

Deadhead
02-25-2006, 01:23 PM
well guess what.... i just found out that the ECU that i've got is for a 96-97 civic dx/lx/cx

I need one for the ex... I hope that this is all that I need now...

Tecknixia
02-26-2006, 11:35 PM
Good to hear you're figuring out your problems... are you going to a junkyard for an ecu or ordering a new one or what?

The wrong ecu could cause a lot of symptoms... hopefully that fixes it... but why would there be a different ecu in the first place? Maybe someone had a chipped ecu in there before and took it out and sold it, then got a cheap replacement to sell the car with.

Edit: oh and too bad you cut the ground wire, cause it'll probably work with the correct ECU. Different ECU's will have different pinouts (wires going into the ECU will be in a different order). Hopefully the correct ECU won't show any codes.