PDA

View Full Version : injector seals

gp02a0083
02-26-2006, 07:47 AM
ok so the injector seals are bad on my 87' and its bothering me that some fuel is leaking on the intake. does anyone know a good place to order or get them from autozone said there speical order , i looked on rockauto.com for the part on a 87 accord lx-i and theres 2 things there a nozzle O-ring kit and a injector seal kit , i dont know which one is right and also it says 4 per car does that mean i have to buy 4 of them?

Sabz5150
02-26-2006, 08:07 AM
Yes, that means four per car.

Sadly Advance auto no longer carries the full injector seal/tuneup kit. That's what I used when I replaced my injectors. Came with the four large O-rings (you'll see 'em when you take the injectors off), the four injector seals as well as a TB gasket.

The parts you are looking for are the injector seals. I'm assuming they are leaking from the rail, correct?

AZmike
02-26-2006, 08:08 AM
I'd assume one kit per injector so you would need 4. Each injector has an intake seal, cushion ring, and o-ring inside the fuel rail. Frequently it's the seam between the metal and plastic parts on the injector itself that leaks rather than the external seals. Take a close look--the injector may need to be replaced rather than the o-rings.

gp02a0083
02-26-2006, 09:33 AM
nah my father looked at the injectors, there fine , he said the o rings are bad and they are leaking from the fuel rail , on the rockauto site theres a pict for the nozzle O ring kit but im not shure if there the ones i need ( im away at school so i dont have the injectors here)

gp02a0083
02-26-2006, 09:47 AM
yah i remember that my father said that the o ring on the injectors looks liek dry cracked on the spare set i have from my 89 the ones on my car now are leaking from the rail if you touch them they leak, and i usually smell gas sometimes days after i get gas for my car , its probally the injectors

Hash_man_Se_i
02-26-2006, 12:23 PM
I;m guessing one or more of your injectors are cracked, thats the problem with mine. My bodyman has an 87 lude said he had the same problem, and replaced the seals twice before he realized it was the injectors causing the problem... Just go grab some from a wrecker...

And I just got the injector seals for mine, here is the neihoff part number. each kit comes with all 4 seals for one injector, so you need four kits. Cost me like $40 CDN, so not bad, Honda wanted almost $100 i said screw that.

Neihoff part#:
23-8059-0

or

vongiese
02-26-2006, 03:57 PM
Take a real close look - like others have said it could very well be the injector itself - right where the plastic portion of the injector meets the metal portion.
My 89 had same probelm - I too thought it was the seals. Replaced them all only to realize later that it was the injector leaking. So i bought some new/rebuilt injectors from a site off ebay i think - they came with new seals as well. maybea little flour or baby powder on the injector body then turn on the key to charge fuel system and a close look at where the wet is coming from....could save you a hassle and $$.
good luck

88Accord-DX
02-26-2006, 04:37 PM
Anyone need some injector seals? I have some that came with my rebuild kit. I'll never use them cause of my carbed motor.

gp02a0083
02-26-2006, 09:20 PM
my dad checked the other injectors today, he said the injectors are fine

hash man whats the website for that?

DBMaster
02-27-2006, 07:53 AM
It DOES look like the seals are at fault, but I can almost 100% guarantee that it is the injectors. I suppose you could waste time and about $50 of your money like I did years ago replacing the o-rings (the lower seals at the manifold WILL NOT leak liquid fuel), or just buck it up and replace the injectors - which come with new seals.
Your choice. If you replace the seals the manifold will stay dry for a little while because the injector leaks are very small, but sure enough you will be back to your original problem within a week and you will be $50 poorer.
Later!

Blkblurr
02-27-2006, 09:06 AM
It DOES look like the seals are at fault, but I can almost 100% guarantee that it is the injectors. I suppose you could waste time and about $50 of your money like I did years ago replacing the o-rings (the lower seals at the manifold WILL NOT leak liquid fuel), or just buck it up and replace the injectors - which come with new seals.
Your choice. If you replace the seals the manifold will stay dry for a little while because the injector leaks are very small, but sure enough you will be back to your original problem within a week and you will be $50 poorer.
Later!
Same thing I went through

DBMaster
02-27-2006, 09:11 AM
This issue comes up a lot. I thought there was an FAQ on it. It is useful to know that you only need to replace the injectors that are leaking. It took five years for me to end up replacing all four of mine as they developed leaks at different times. If money is not an issue I would just replace all four of them and get it done.

I just get so tired of seeing people steered in the wrong direction, re: replacing the seals only.

AC439
02-27-2006, 06:05 PM
I just noticed today that one of my injectors also has a little leak around the metal body / plastic junction too. These are the 2nd set of injectors I put in but not leaking as bad at the first time. I'm thinking about using some JB welds to see if I can patch it and stop the leak. Anybody has tried this fix before?

88Accord-DX
02-27-2006, 07:25 PM
I just noticed today that one of my injectors also has a little leak around the metal body / plastic junction too. These are the 2nd set of injectors I put in but not leaking as bad at the first time. I'm thinking about using some JB welds to see if I can patch it and stop the leak. Anybody has tried this fix before?
If you use JB Weld on the injector, you will have problems removing the injector if you ever need to. You would have to chip away the JB Weld to get the injector out, & more than likely break the injector & having to pry & pick the rest of the injector out.
That isn't a bad idea, but look for a headache if & when you need to replace the fuel injector if it goes bad.

Side note- I never said the injector seals was the problem in this thread, so I wasn't leading anyone in the wrong direction. I just offered some injector seals for almost nothing.

AC439
02-27-2006, 08:56 PM
If you use JB Weld on the injector, you will have problems removing the injector if you ever need to. You would have to chip away the JB Weld to get the injector out, & more than likely break the injector & having to pry & pick the rest of the injector out.
That isn't a bad idea, but look for a headache if & when you need to replace the fuel injector if it goes bad.
Side note- I never said the injector seals was the problem in this thread, so I wasn't leading anyone in the wrong direction. I just offered some injector seals for almost nothing.

I think I just want to apply just enough JB weld on the body of the injector where the metal housing meets with the plastic. I won't put all JB welds on the whole injector to glue up everything including the seals. So everyone think this can be done?

Hash_man_Se_i
02-27-2006, 09:44 PM
hash man whats the website for that?

Ummm, I got them at a local parts shop... partsource... But you should be able to find them through a local parts shop in your area... most places should be able to get neihoff somehow.

shepherd79
02-28-2006, 06:53 AM
You can still buy them at Advance Auto Parts. Part Number 1580308 or 274621 (cheaper One).
I am not sure if the links will work or not.
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=NIE&mfrpartnumber=274621&parttype=752&ptset=A
http://www.partsamerica.com/ProductDetail.aspx?mfrcode=BAR&mfrpartnumber=1580308&parttype=752&ptset=A

I hope that helps. If you still can't find it. PM me and i can help yeah. I work at Advance Auto parts as Assistant Store Manager.

DBMaster
02-28-2006, 07:49 AM
JB Weld won't work. You are going to need NEW injectors. There is not really an el-cheapo way out of this one.

vongiese
02-28-2006, 05:11 PM
That is pretty funny - I did that exact thing - removed my bad injector (with the new seal) and JB welded the area that was leaking (plastic/metal area). Thinking, as you are, that i could fix it. NOPE! Still leaked. i imagine the pressure in the injector was too much for some suface glue.
i like the way you think, but save your time.
Look on ebay - I found my new ones there at a good price.
good luck - aren't you glad you're using this board? What a pain in the $#&@# & $ saver, eh?

86-accord-lxi
02-28-2006, 06:54 PM
I just replaced all the cushion rings, o rings, and manifold rings today.
In my case, only 1 injector was leaking at the rail, But I like to do stuff like that at the same time, saves you time and money. It's really not that hard to replace them, You just relieve the fuel system pressure by removing the gas filler cap, loosen the service bolt on the fuel filter, disconnect the vacum hose from the fpr, pull the return line off the fpr, disconnect the fuel line from the rail, remove the 4 10mm bolts on the rail, and pull that sucker off. All my o rings at the top of the injectors were toast. I was lucky because I had the
injector seal set that came with my top end gasket set. The top end engine gasket set is only like $64 from gasketpro.com. Glad I didn't have to pay that much for just the injector seals ! :) Make sure to caot the seals with a little
motor oil before you put them on. Installation is pretty much revers of removal.

vongiese
02-28-2006, 09:23 PM
here's where I got mine a couple years ago - rebuilt ones. Noticable difference in performance (smoother idle and accelleration, more responsive). not sure how prices compare.... see he's even buying the cores back.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7998818329&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

DBMaster
03-01-2006, 11:54 AM
The main reason JB Weld will not hold is that there are just about no glues, epoxy or otherwise that can stand the chemical assault from modern gasoline. Also, the source of the leak is not the surface joint of the plastic and metal pieces, but a deteriorated O-ring type seal on the plastic part that is inserted INTO the metal body.

Reformulated gasoline was not in use here until January 1995 here. My first injector leak was later that year. I wonder if the additional alcohol, MTBE, or whatever deteriorates the internal injector seals.

It would be interesting to know if anyone here lives in an area that does not have RFG and has seen fewer injector leaks.

DBMaster
03-01-2006, 11:59 AM
here's where I got mine a couple years ago - rebuilt ones. Noticable difference in performance (smoother idle and accelleration, more responsive). not sure how prices compare.... see he's even buying the cores back.

My injectors were super clean - even the leaky ones - so the only noticeable difference I had after replacing them was no more gas smell in the garage. I am very reluctant to buy remanufactured injectors, especially if they reuse the same plastic upper body as that stuff becomes pretty brittle. I paid about $90 for each of the first two I bought and $42 for the last two from RC Engineering. They said that they were "gently used" test parts that they ran for Honda North America.

How long have you had the rebuilt ones on your car? If they hold up for at least a few years with no leaks I might consider them for next time.

vongiese
03-02-2006, 08:31 AM
I've had the rebuilt for a little over a year now and no problems. I think i paid about $175 for all 4 injectors. I'll let you know if they do develop problems....

AC439
03-02-2006, 06:44 PM
That is pretty funny - I did that exact thing - removed my bad injector (with the new seal) and JB welded the area that was leaking (plastic/metal area). Thinking, as you are, that i could fix it. NOPE! Still leaked. i imagine the pressure in the injector was too much for some suface glue.
i like the way you think, but save your time.
Look on ebay - I found my new ones there at a good price.
good luck - aren't you glad you're using this board? What a pain in the $#&@# & $ saver, eh?

Thanks for sharing. I think I'd go get some injectors. I believe the fuel pressure at the rail is about 30psi so it may be strong enough to break out the JB.

chainz
03-13-2006, 02:33 PM
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=7998818329&ssPageName=MERC_VI_RSCC_Pr4_PcY_BIN_Stores_IT

One of my injectors is leaking (BAD; can actually see liquid fuel coming out of the seams) and I'm looking at these ones on eBay but i'm confused. He is offering 2 different sets that both indicate fitment for our cars:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Honda-Accord-Civic-4cyl-Fuel-Injector-SET_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQitemZ8002259 994
These say they fit 86-97 Accord and 86-92 Civic

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HONDA-ACCORD-4cyl-Fuel-Injector-Set-4_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33554QQitemZ799881832 9
These say they fit 86-92 Accord and 85-87 Prelude

Any ideas which one I should get?

chainz
03-17-2006, 01:55 PM
Bump... anyone got any ideas on this? I emailed the seller but he hasn't responded.

vongiese
03-20-2006, 01:22 PM
NO clue - but the seller will respond...or buy which ever ones you want and if they don't fit - send them back as "not as advertised"..... But i think you'll hear back from seller.

88Accord-DX
05-25-2007, 11:08 PM
Me!
I totally miss this reply. I beleive I still have them. I'll shoot some pics tomm. after I find them in the geezrage.

88Accord-DX
05-26-2007, 08:32 PM
Well, I seem to only have 3 injector seals, 4 cushion seals & 2 other 0-rings for the injector. I got some other stuff too, there is a freeze plug, looks to be intake gasket, carb base gasket & o-rings. I'm not sure what all the O-rings are for. Here is a pic, send a pm if you need anything. You pay for shipping.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/ddude2uc/o-rings2.jpg