PDA

View Full Version : Crv B20 Vtec

EducatedFool
02-28-2006, 11:58 AM
I've been pondering building up a B20 VTEC engine to put in my 86 DX Hatchback. I know that pretty much everything will need to be changed. Do they have mounts available to swap a CRV B20 in? Also, I will be using a B16 head and a B16 tranny w/ LSD. Would I need a cable or hydro tranny? And how hard would it be to put the B16 tranny in? Any help would be much appreciated.

As for my final plans, my car will be painted gloss black (it's red now), rolling on some black wheels w/ polished lip, lowered about 1-1.5", B20 VTEC N/A

ghettogeddy
02-28-2006, 12:15 PM
from what i understand u cannot us a crv b20 u have to get a jdm b20 out of an accord also if u use the search function u will find alot of usful info

Hash_man_Se_i
02-28-2006, 01:40 PM
SEARCH... is your friend... it will all have to be custom, as you cannot get placeracing mounts anymore.
There have been many, many threads on this!

A20A1
02-28-2006, 02:01 PM
Assuming you had Place racing mounts and axles. They were for the B16... maybe B18 as well. I'm not sure if the B20 from the CRV will fit.

You'll need custom mounts and axles to fit.

Firts things first. You need the engine and everything to run the motor.

I don't know why you are trying to hybrid the motor straight out... why not get the motor to fit in the bay first then you can swap the head... and maybe the trans afterwards.

All those hybrid swaps will just complicate things

SteveDX89
02-28-2006, 03:32 PM
The B20B/Z uses the same mounts as the B16 and B18. However, there's no kit available for our car anymore. You will have to custom make your mounts, then find axles that fit and then mod your shift linkage. You can use either hydro or cable tranny but the hydro complicates things even further. Please search this board along with the internet about B-series swaps and Frankensteins.

Accordtheory
02-28-2006, 05:45 PM
why do people always seem to choose the b16 head over the gsr head?

EducatedFool
02-28-2006, 05:56 PM
^ what he said.

Accordtheory
02-28-2006, 06:11 PM
but anyways.
You trying to steer me back on topic? I suppose this guy could read my thread 'how to swap in a b series without a kit', but I doubt he wants to put 2 days into making the mounts..

Accordtheory
02-28-2006, 06:16 PM
I still haven't done shit with the axles yet either..I'm leaving that one up to legend master, so I can buy whatever axles he says fit, and then get butthurt when I break them with my forced induction..instead of getting custom axles from the driveshaftshop.com..lol

A20A1
02-28-2006, 08:01 PM
Oldschool did his first swap without the placeracing kit.

gfrg88
02-28-2006, 08:57 PM
he did???? i thought he had used the placeracing kit. does he still have it?? i havent seen that guy on here in foverever.....

A20A1
02-28-2006, 10:04 PM
after the accident he decided to buy the kit and redo everything.

SteveDX89
03-01-2006, 02:57 AM
why do people always seem to choose the b16 head over the gsr head?

Because the B16 head flows better than the GSR.

EducatedFool
03-01-2006, 06:53 PM
right now i'm actually talking to the owner of a performance shop (and also a full time honda dragster). He wants to go ahead and put an H22 in. I suggested maybe a hybrid swap because it might be cheaper and he suggested a boosted LS/VTEC mildly built.

Accordtheory
03-01-2006, 09:26 PM
Because the B16 head flows better than the GSR.

what evidence do you have to support that?

What are the differences between the 2 heads anyway?
and what about the type r head?
...I have my own opinion on what head I'll be using...

Accordtheory
03-01-2006, 09:29 PM
He wants to go ahead and put an H22 in. I suggested maybe a hybrid swap because it might be cheaper and he suggested a boosted LS/VTEC mildly built.

h22 powa!

I want to see someone do the h22..but obviously the turbo b series will beat it, even a stock ls with a small turbo will do like 270whp..

EducatedFool
03-01-2006, 10:15 PM
I would love to have an H22.... It just seems more expensive than an LS/VTEC. Later on when I have some more money to dish out, I'm definitly gonna be working on some major projects of my own, seeing how I'm really serious about learning as much as I can about modding and tuning so that I can get into import racing of all kinds.

A20A1
03-01-2006, 10:46 PM
Ever seen the article with one of the top racing honda or spoon engineers, the B18C5 was his pick. They asked him for an opinion on frakenstine engines and I don't think he commented.

This was a few years back though, before the K20 Teg/rsx

SteveDX89
03-02-2006, 09:23 AM
what evidence do you have to support that?
What are the differences between the 2 heads anyway?
and what about the type r head?
...I have my own opinion on what head I'll be using...

It's all over the place. Check out honda-tech and other Honda boards. The top flowing head is the Type R head which is just a factory ported B16 head. The B16 is next and then the GSR. The GSR head has a dual stage runner system like the 88-89 A20A3 while the other 2 do not. That plus the cam profile is why the VTEC crossover on B16's and B18C5's is 5500 and the VTEC point on a GSR is 4400.

Accordtheory
03-02-2006, 10:20 AM
It's all over the place. Check out honda-tech and other Honda boards. The top flowing head is the Type R head which is just a factory ported B16 head. The B16 is next and then the GSR. The GSR head has a dual stage runner system like the 88-89 A20A3 while the other 2 do not. That plus the cam profile is why the VTEC crossover on B16's and B18C5's is 5500 and the VTEC point on a GSR is 4400.

Why are you talking about intake manifolds and vtec crossover points..? I thought we were discussing flow..
Are you trying to imply the 2 stage intake is the reason the gsr head flows less? Also, the b16 and b18c5 may have the same vtec engagement point, but the cam profiles are quite different.. I don't believe there are any significant differences between the heads port wise except the type r's undercut valve stems and factory clean up port job. However, the chambers are a little different.

my combo is going to be this: gsr head, probably victor x or bbk IM, and type r cams. If you want to know why I choose the gsr head, look at the chamber, part of it is flat with the sealing surface. The b16 head is recessed. So in addition to providing a slightly higher CR, the gsr head also provides more quench..

SteveDX89
03-03-2006, 04:02 AM
Why are you talking about intake manifolds and vtec crossover points..? I thought we were discussing flow..
Are you trying to imply the 2 stage intake is the reason the gsr head flows less?

No, I simply stated what flows best with some extra babble in there. I won't deny your point about a higher CR with the GSR head. That's well known as well. Either way you go, you're still making a good choice.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-04-2006, 06:28 PM
cant wait til it gets warm. i am gonna start fitting my b18a in the hatch to prep everythnig for the b20b

A18A
08-16-2010, 07:57 PM
lol okay

Mak_ABNOKY
12-16-2010, 03:04 PM
Ive heard of people going "CRVTEC" with the newer B20-block swaps, and Im wondering if the same thing or something similar could be done to the JDM B20A. What kind of performance gain can you expect and whats an approximate neighborhood of the cost for the headwork? Could the stock head be used or would you need a head from a VTEC B-series engine like they do with the CRV conversion?

Legend_master
12-17-2010, 10:24 AM
Ive heard of people going "CRVTEC" with the newer B20-block swaps, and Im wondering if the same thing or something similar could be done to the JDM B20A. What kind of performance gain can you expect and whats an approximate neighborhood of the cost for the headwork? Could the stock head be used or would you need a head from a VTEC B-series engine like they do with the CRV conversion?

It has never been done, and I would have to say that's not a very likely possibility that will work. It would be cheaper to buy the innovative mounts, and put an actual B20(CRV)vtec in the car. Also you cannot add Vtec to a no Vtec head, you would have to buy a complete head.