PDA

View Full Version : Part # for fan timer sensor in t-stat housing

vongiese
02-28-2006, 04:58 PM
I need to order the temp sensor that is located in the thermostat housing - the one that runs the fan for 15 minutes after car is off if it senses correct temp limit. But I can't for the life of me find that part on Majestic or Lute Riley Honda sites. Does anyone happen to know where this is located in the parts diagrams or better yet - the part number?
thanks!

vongiese
03-02-2006, 02:26 PM
anyone know what part this is? no luck yet...sure need to make an order!
thanks

A20A1
03-02-2006, 02:30 PM
I might have a spare one, I just needed the EFI T-Stat housing, but I'm carbed and I don't need the sensors.

Strugglebucket
03-02-2006, 07:19 PM
the coolant temp sensor on the thermostat housing doesn't control the fan when the car is off. it's controlled by a thermal switch mounted at the bottom of the radiator, #30 in the diagram:http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KL5MT&catcgry5=RADIATOR+HOSE

the odd thing is, i couldn't find the coolant temp sensor anywhere, either.

kaltenacht
03-02-2006, 07:35 PM
On an LXI you have a total of four sensors, that I have found. You have TU75 (Wells part#) Temperature Switch which controls the readings for your temp gauge in the car. You have the Cooling Temp Sensor (SU410 Wells part #) which sends the coolant temp to your ECU. That is in the sensor in your water neck. It has two wires, one is yellow/green. Then you have your Rad Fan Switch which is located in your rad at the bottom, on the pass side. Then you have another sensor located beside the Coolant Temp Sensor. I have yet to figure out what this sensor is, but it is similar to the CTS, in size and the connectors are exactly the same. This might be the one your looking for. Haynes manuals dont identify it, neither does our online shop manual. Hope that helps a little bit.

vongiese
03-02-2006, 08:15 PM
A20A1 I might have a spare one, I just needed the EFI T-Stat housing, but I'm carbed and I don't need the sensors.
Thanks for the offer - tell me what you want for it and I'll send you a check.
pm your address too.

vongiese
03-02-2006, 08:36 PM
Then you have your Rad Fan Switch which is located in your rad at the bottom, on the pass side. Then you have another sensor located beside the Coolant Temp Sensor. I have yet to figure out what this sensor is, but it is similar to the CTS, in size and the connectors are exactly the same. This might be the one your looking for.
kaltenacht
You are right - the sensor in the bottom of the radiator controls ONE fan when it senses temps above 190 F I believe. The sensor I'm looking for controls the other fan and kicks on the timer (when temps are > 160 F or something) that runs that fan for 15 minutes AFTER the car is shut off. This sensor is only on EFI vehicles; looks very similar to the Cooling Temp Sensor for ECU you mentioned, yet its on the passenger side of the thermostat housing and is green. (Cooling Temp Sensor for ECU is next to it -- closer to valve cover and is white on mine).
Short the wires on that green plug and your fan will come on for about 15 minutes.
I've read many posts about this - this is a great site for that! But just can't find that part at the dealer's site!!

vongiese
03-05-2006, 09:50 AM
the odd thing is, i couldn't find the coolant temp sensor anywhere, either.

Stumped?????? no one knows that part #?
Holy cow!!! :toilet:

A20A1
03-05-2006, 10:18 AM
Sorry dude, haven't gotten around to looking for the sensor... I hope I didn't toss it. :(

vongiese
03-05-2006, 10:21 AM
whenever you get a chance to take a look - let me know if you have it - that would be great!
thanks for your help.

Strugglebucket
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
maybe honda considers it as part of the wiring harness or something crazy like that.

at rockauto.com the ACDELCO part#213725 might be it.
http://www.rockauto.com/catalog/catalog.php?carcode=1167027&parttype=2188&partGroup=16&EPImodelID=2297&EPIengineID=2393

vongiese
03-20-2006, 01:07 PM
maybe honda considers it as part of the wiring harness or something crazy like that.

at rockauto.com the ACDELCO part#213725 might be it.

couldn't find it even under the wiring harness parts.....

THat one from Rock auto - COULD be the right one....but it's hard to confirm...and the recommendations I've gotten are to buy OEM.
thanks for the help tho!

DBMaster
03-21-2006, 07:22 AM
Here it is on the Majestic site. Don't feel bad. I had to call them to find out where it was diagrammed.

http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1989&catcgry3=2DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA4AT&catcgry5=ALTERNATOR+BRACKET

Who would have thought to look in the section called "Alternator Bracket!?"

Anyway, near as I can tell, the switch in the bottom of the rad controls the fan whens the engine is ON ONLY and the upper (green) one controls just the secondary fan when the engine is OFF ONLY.

vongiese
04-06-2006, 06:07 AM
you ARE the MASTER!
great job - thanks for your help!
yeah - alternator bracket....WTF?

DBMaster
04-06-2006, 06:57 AM
you ARE the MASTER!

Thank you for the kind words. I already hear that from the ladies on a regular basis. (LMAO)

See what my wife gave up?

FunLXI
05-16-2006, 08:15 PM
I need to order the temp sensor that is located in the thermostat housing - the one that runs the fan for 15 minutes after car is off if it senses correct temp limit. But I can't for the life of me find that part on Majestic or Lute Riley Honda sites. Does anyone happen to know where this is located in the parts diagrams or better yet - the part number?
thanks!
Check out San Leandro Honda here's the link: slhondaparts.com. You'll have to type in your vin # then go through the steps to get to either the engine or electrical and run through the drop down menus. Here you'll find genuine Honda part #'s. Good Luck!

I'm having a similar problem with an 88 Lxi sedan although, I bought 88 & 89 Honda Accord Svc. Manuals on ebay and they're very useful.
My radiator cooling fan doesn't come on after the car has been shut down for the 15 min. interval and this sounds like what you mentioned.
I'm going to jumper the sensors to 12Vdc and check the continuity on my relays-via the manuals and hopefully the fan will come on.
Gotta get these cooling problems fixed so the kiehin can be kicked to the curb for a retrofit to ND using R134a.

snoopyloopy
05-17-2006, 08:51 AM
well maybe you guys can help me with my predicament as well. my pass side fan won't come on at all, no matter what. so consequently, my car overheats if i idle it for awhile or if i sit in socal traffic. and on occasion, the cel light also comes on and i checked it and it's throwing the code for cts. so should i indulge in a new fan? because i noticed that the fan that's in there is already a replacement from the original or should i get new sensor or both?

A20A1
05-17-2006, 09:22 AM
Sorry I didn't get back to you... what color is the sensor, I found one missing on my EFI thermosat housing.

Just test the fan... either bypass the sensor to get two wires and hook it directly to the battery... then I guess it's either a fuse or the thermoswtich that activates the fan, that is in the radiator.

Check the coolant level

Also make sure your thermostat is good and that your water pump is pumping.

If not the hot coolant may never get to the sensor like it should.