PDA

View Full Version : Slow clutch pedal, whats wrong?

newaccorddriver
02-28-2006, 11:28 PM
i finished my 5 speed swap a couple months ago and i havent really driven the car at all. i tried moving the car today and like it did a couple months ago it still has the clutch pedal problem. it engages/disengages the clutch like it should, but the problem is its slowly moves the pedal back up. it actually stops part way through, and then continues moving back up quickly. im not sure whats wrong with it. its perfectly drivable, but its definetely got something wrong with it.

for those of you that dont really get what im trying to say its pretty much me with my foot on the clutch, then taking my foot off and the pedal not instantly rising back up and engaging the clutch. theres a momentary lag which is like 1 second or so at worst.

voiceinurhead05
03-01-2006, 11:09 AM
Check your clutch cable and linkage. Something may be gunked up. If not, it's possibly the pressure plate.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-01-2006, 12:42 PM
There is also a return spring attached to the pedal itself. Check that it is still attached/present. Just my $.02

newaccorddriver
03-01-2006, 05:47 PM
return spring is still attached so i doubt thats the problem

clutch cable and linkage is fine like it should be. the pressure plate is new since i installed everything including a brand new clutch kit

halxi
03-01-2006, 05:56 PM
spray some chain and cable lube on the end of the cable and the pivot arm on the tranny, make sure its something that wont gunk up and make the problem worse after a month (cough wd40 cough)

88Accord-DX
03-01-2006, 08:47 PM
Sounds like you need a new clutch cable.

Edit- If you want to try WD-40, pull it off & hold it up so the lube goes through the cable from gravity so it gets all the way in there.

Tecknixia
03-02-2006, 12:24 AM
EDIT: oops, CABLE clutch, mine's hydrolic, nevermind...

One of my preludes does this too... except it's at the very top of the pedal travel so clutch engages like normal with no delay, but after leaving my foot off the pedal for a second or two I hear a "thunk" when the pedal finally unsticks.

It eventually started happing a while after replacing the clutch master cylinder. Since in both situations the line was opened up, I'm guessing it maybe could be a little bit of air in the line??? I don't know.

I suppose the line being gunked is possible since my old fluid was quite dirty.

newaccorddriver
03-02-2006, 03:30 PM
Sounds like you need a new clutch cable.
Edit- If you want to try WD-40, pull it off & hold it up so the lube goes through the cable from gravity so it gets all the way in there.

how does the clutch cable make the pedal move slowly back up? i thought its just there to hook up the pedal to the tranny.

88Accord-DX
03-02-2006, 04:22 PM
how does the clutch cable make the pedal move slowly back up? i thought its just there to hook up the pedal to the tranny.
Well, there is a plastic sleeve the cable rides in. It might be hanging up in there, if your sure the pressure plate is good. Then again without looking at it, hard to say what is going on.

newaccorddriver
03-03-2006, 10:42 PM
just out of curiosity, is there supposed to be a spring that pulls the pedal back in place or is the pressure plate supposed to do that? i saw on hondaautomotiveparts that there was a spring behind the clutch pedal, but it doesnt list the part on the site or anything

just on another note, the pedal only sticks and slowly releases itself when its being pushed completely down to the floor. when its raising up, itll pop back up immediately because of the spring on the pedal assembly, but only when its up past a certain point

88Accord-DX
03-03-2006, 10:54 PM
There is a return spring on the pedal. The pivot point on the fulcrum part of the pedal might need some WD-40.

newaccorddriver
03-04-2006, 09:54 AM
http://www.hondaautomotiveparts.com/auto/jsp/mws/prddisplay.jsp?inputstate=5&catcgry1=Accord&catcgry2=1986&catcgry3=4DR+LXI&catcgry4=KA5MT&catcgry5=BRAKE+%26+CLUTCH+PEDAL

its part number 8 right? cause thats the part im missing and cant really order in.

Accordtheory
03-04-2006, 10:22 AM
if you need a clutch cable, pm me with an offer..I have the integra one, and don't need my old one anymore..it's still in good condition