PDA

View Full Version : This Wing Or No Wing

87_2LSi_au
08-21-2002, 05:43 PM
I am after your thoughts go to www.simota.com.au and then go to the SPOILER section and look at the STEALTH RACING SINGLE
Silversone Series should I buy this for my 87 Accord or not??

TeKKnoTeKK
08-21-2002, 05:46 PM
I have never been a fan of aluminum spoilers....guess that one is OK...I wouldn't put it on my car :D

88Ex-i
08-21-2002, 05:57 PM
its ok, I guess.........I'm not a fan of them on our accords.......

A20A1
08-21-2002, 06:08 PM
they all would look ok except for the double wings

89BlackH-Back
08-21-2002, 10:27 PM
no goofey wing, unless you plan on flying somewhere

89NinjaAccordLX
08-21-2002, 10:44 PM
Some people look for aerodynamics for performance purposes too you all know... its not all about looks. I say the wing looks phat. Wanna know why I think it's phat? Because its unique... On that page I would go with the G-Force or the Aero Max. They are low, but still large enough to cause some downforce. And for all of you that say downforce isn't needed on the rear or a FWD car then :flipa: They stabilize the rear of the car on turns and if you get up a certain speed the rear end DOES get a little squirly even on FWD cars. I would find it hard to believe that the Touring Civics and Integras have big ass spoilers "for looks". Lower your car, strengthen the shocks, and get yourself a big-ass spoiler. Then go spin out in a parking lot. What else is needed in life? Oh yeah, poontang. Gotta love that poontang.

A20A1
08-21-2002, 10:58 PM
GROUND ATTACK GTII SINGLE

I'd get that one but not as high

ninja2571
08-21-2002, 11:21 PM
I have the same wing on my 89 accord and it looks damn good, its the same design but mine is made by konig Vracing, so get it it will look good trust me

87_2LSi_au
08-21-2002, 11:55 PM
I think I will get it just to be different and I think they look better them any of the universal wings.

pimp86LX
08-22-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by 89NinjaAccordLX
Wanna know why I think it's phat? Because its unique... . [/B]

were do you live? Around here, every single car, import or domestic that has any modifications has a wing on it. its very played out and most of the cars are NOT fast enough to gain anything from the minimal downforce being produced because of their slow car. However i do agree that they improve traction, and can be usefull for fast cars. But ther eevery were..blaahh

87_2LSi_au
08-22-2002, 02:36 AM
They are unique around here there is only one car around here thet has an aluminium wing on it, it has two actually it is a Proton Satria with one above the rear window and one under the rear window, now thats rice

shepherd79
08-22-2002, 03:55 AM
i think it is ok.
i like G-force one. it looks nice. how much are they?

Site
08-22-2002, 05:01 AM
The G-Force wings are $165 here (http://www.caraddons.com/Catalog/subpages/APR_gforce.htm). I've had thoughts about putting one on my car someday. That's the cheapest price I could find for one anywhere.

markmdz89hatch
08-22-2002, 05:56 AM
...so... ...I'm gonna say that I want AirForce 1. What does that one cost? Why doesn't that damn site list any prices on their wings? That baby would look hella-cool on my hatch.

zerovisual
08-22-2002, 07:33 AM
There's no way in hell you're going to get fast enough around a turn in an accord to make use of what minimal downforce a DECORATIVE wing is going to cause.

Spoilers that are actually engineered to do something cost a lot effin more than ~$200. Furthermore, the company would not just sell it as ricer gear to bold wherever the hell you wanted. It would have to be custom engineered and installed for your particular vehicle and speed range.

Personally, I think they look absolutely absurd on anything that is not powerful enough to warrant one.

89NinjaAccordLX
08-22-2002, 09:17 AM
Ever thrown a paper airplane? 10 mph and that paper floats. So you're telling me that you have to be going fast for a spoiler to do its duty? That's a joke. Its sticking into the airstream of the car. Its going to affect it in a major way. I dont care how fast you're going. It affects it. Its just more noticable at high speeds. I have a big ass wing on my car but not one of the thin aluminum ones. My car used to ride really rough before -- like air was just smacking into my car -- but after I got the kit (which is actually kinda bulky) and the wing... my car DOES ride a little smoother. And its unique in the way that not many old skool accords have them. Screw the civics and such. The aluminum touring wings are square and boxy, much like our cars. I think it'd fit fine. And like I said you dont have to be going warp speed to create drag and downforce on a spoiler.

pimp86LX
08-22-2002, 09:21 AM
ok i hear were yur comin from, but a wing on an everyday driver doesn't seem realistic or needed. if you race it...all the better. It all comes down to personal preference. I myself Hate large wings. small ones are ok, but i'm basing solely on the "
cosmetic" wings that are so very common around here. my old hyundai had an oem, small wing and it handled very well in the back end because of it.

Its all about what you think is good for your car. Some may call it horendous others may call it "tyte yo" its all in the eye of the beholder

Vanilla Sky
08-22-2002, 09:43 AM
i like the super-g, but it wouldn't look right on a car... maybe a razor...

Derick

zerovisual
08-22-2002, 01:13 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by 89NinjaAccordLX
Ever thrown a paper airplane? 10 mph and that paper floats.

You're trying to compare a 2,000lb car to a piece of paper that doesn't even weigh five grams? If you were to take the weight to speed ratio of your car with that cosmetic spoiler, and compare it to that airplane, you'd have to be going like 500mph to even think about the association.

Personally, I think it looks stupid. I think big ass wing type spoilers on any car on the road look pretty retarded. That's my opinion. You can't, however, argue that a cosmetic bolt on spoiler offers much of anything except funny looks. :huh:

There a reason the external components of F1 and other racecars cost so much -- they work. $200 trunk-park benches don't.

Mike's89AccordLX
08-22-2002, 01:20 PM
I'll have to agree with 89NinjaAccordLX, because even at slower speeds it will help. And i'm all about having things that are unique. Like our kick ass 3Geez. I am the only one around where I live with and 89 accord lx. I haven't put a wing on my car yet because my dad is going to do some bodywork and re paint my car. Metallic silver with a tinted red clear coat.

89NinjaAccordLX
08-22-2002, 02:03 PM
HAHAHAHAHA Ok... to whoever said that the paper airplane wasn't valid... first off its about the science of aerodynamics. Do you have to throw a paper airplane fast for it to float? I know of a few designs that you can just drop and they'll swoop and go straight and then crash -- No baseball throw needed... I know there is a big difference between the weight of a paper airplane and a car. But there is also a big difference in the function of a spoiler and the function of airplane wings. The airplane has to use its wings to keep its body afloat whereas the spoiler just has to create enough down force to keep the back-end stable. Its not gluing the car to the road. Ok, just for you, instead of a paper airplane... lets use a spinning fan. The bigger it is, the more air it pushes. The bigger the spoiler, the more force it can put down on the car. Speed is a factor too, but I'm telling you that big spoilers DO have an affect on the car. And cost is no object. Have we not learned anything from owning 3geez? Cost does not equal quality. If it looks like a touring spoiler, mounts like a touring spoiler, and gets laughs like touring spoilers then damnit its a touring spoiler and I dont see how it would function much worse than one bought for 3000 dollars made of spaceage schuttle metal. It doesn't really matter man. There is no convincing on either side. But lemme tell you that if you get into road racing or grand prix, guess what your spoiler will look like? Booya.

Vanilla Sky
08-22-2002, 02:40 PM
ya... ninja is right... the real pupose for a wing is to help push the car downward... now if you want to get technical, you are talking about spoilers, which are made to simple "spoil" the airflow so the car directly behind can't draft...

nowadays, the words spoiler and wing are interchangable... but if i had an english wheel, a welder, a blow torch and a few other things like nuts, bolts and washers, i could make a wing out of any kind of sheet metal for almost nothing, and it still have the same effect as the expensive wings and spoilers you are referring to... it's not about money, it's about the product itself

Derick

89NinjaAccordLX
08-22-2002, 08:08 PM
*bows

zerovisual
08-22-2002, 08:16 PM
Bow my ass. You totally missed my whole concept.

[elaboration] My point was you can't expect a random aftermarket spoiler to be as effective as having one specifically engineered for the car. That being said. A random huge spoiler on a randomly shaped car is pointless to begin with.

I know all about how air works. You can stick your arm out the window and create downforce on your car.. but not enough to do anything. Same with the wing. If it's not specifically engineered, it's going to be providing less downforce than it should, and it will slow you down also.

If you want to stick a big ass wing on your car, go right ahead. It's your car, props to you for doing it. Don't argue that it makes a huge difference on your daily driver though.

As for the person with the kit: the kit fixed most of your air problems, not the wing.

87_2LSi_au
08-22-2002, 11:08 PM
The only reason I want to get this wing is to be different and yes the boxy wing does fit our boxy cars. As I said before I will be individual with this wing around here because at the moment there is only one other car around here with an aluminium wing and that is a hath so I will be the only sedan with an aluminium wing. My reason for geting this wing is to be individual and for the look and if my car will ride a little smoother well thats just a bonus.

87pimpsterdocious
08-23-2002, 12:16 AM
Dude, i totally support 89NinjaAccordLX because he fucking said BOOYA! that's what its all about right there.

zerovisual
08-23-2002, 01:04 AM
Originally posted by 87pimpsterdocious
Dude, i totally support 89NinjaAccordLX because he fucking said BOOYA! that's what its all about right there.

haha, actually, I was thinking the same thing. I read through that post and was like "wtf. whoa, he did not just say that." It was a nice laugh :)

2Fast_Fiero
08-23-2002, 01:10 AM
There are about 3 3Geez Accords in Albuquerque that are fixed up, one guy who is my friend used to have a touring wing, but he put some ugly ass GTR style drag wing on it, looks like shit, but, another guy has that same wing you want and he got it at pep boys and I admit, it looks nice, as long as its the same color as the car, and I don't mean to change the color of the wing, change the color of the car to make it the same as the wing, cus I just cannot think of a diff color accord with a silver wing without wanting to puke, GO WITH SILVER!!!! lol JP do whatever you want man, wing looks nice tho on our car, not my personal choice, and please explain "Booya" and what is soo great to hear it come from ninja????:wtf:

zerovisual
08-23-2002, 01:18 AM
Because I haven't heard/seen anyone say that since the early 90's :)

89NinjaAccordLX
08-23-2002, 07:10 AM
Yeah I'm takin it back to the old skool.

Cuz I'm an old fool

Who's so cool.

So if you wanna get a spoiler,

I'll show the way.

Touring on a three-gee

Das ok.

Whoomp there it is.

I can't possibly see how the kit would make my car more aerodynamic. LoL. Have you ever seen the Xenon kit? Its a big square! The front of my car is like a giant rectangle moving down the highway. I agree that a 200 dollar spoiler will not create the same great effects of a "specifically engineered" spoiler.. but 1. if it does its job, who cares? 2. Maybe the professional one has been tuned and tested and you know its most likely BETTER at what it does. Big deal. Are you saying that ALL spoilers should be scientifically tested before put on cars? Honestly I'd still get sleep at night even though I'm not getting maximum downforce from my spoiler. A little bit of stability for 200 bucks is not bad to me. Shit, ebay has em for 77.95. Sure they're crappy but I bet you still get SOMETHING out of it (besides laughs). I'm curious as to what you haters of the touring wing have on your car. Someone show me some pictures. I'm willing to bet some of us can have a field day with all your other aftermarket "mods".

89NinjaAccordLX
08-23-2002, 07:17 AM
Anyone have access to a wind tunnel and some rocket scientists? I want a touring wing but I dont want to be laughed at. HAHAHAHAHA. I'm selling my GT wing (the fiberglass one from www.spoiler2000.com in the Accord section) You can see it under my sig on the link that says "See it here". I'm going to get a cheap ass touring wing and actually test and tune it to my liking just because. Oh, and sometimes tuning doesn't need a calculator and computers... I take my car to the track and guess/check. That's the best way to tune.

zerovisual
08-23-2002, 08:55 AM
Originally posted by 89NinjaAccordLX
Someone show me some pictures. I'm willing to bet some of us can have a field day with all your other aftermarket "mods".

I'm currently converting my lxi to a rally style vehicle for use when I go cycling and kayaking. Hence, there aren't currently any pics. Nor will there be any silly looking aesthetic mods. With the exception of serious suspension modifications, big ass rims w/ a big brake kit, and my crazy rack on top, it'll be quite stock looking.

At least until I hit the gas ;)

pimp86LX
08-23-2002, 10:01 AM
bone stock baby, cept for sound

A20A1 power all the way!

markmdz89hatch
08-23-2002, 10:17 AM
i dunno... ...is it just me, or is this begining to become a haven for whore posts???????

:flip:

89NinjaAccordLX
08-23-2002, 06:53 PM
biatch i've been a member since jun. of 01 and have 200 posts. If anyone ISNT a post whore, its me.

You Joined 3geez in: Jul 2002

THATS ALMOST A YEAR AFTER ME! AND YOU STILL HAVE MORE POSTS! I post when I feel my opinion/input is worthy. And I can't remember the last time I racked up post counts by saying stupid stuff in the General Forum.

Red88Hatch
08-25-2002, 09:58 AM
this is true

Red88Hatch
08-25-2002, 10:00 AM
i just noticed that we had joined the same month......and yet you have like 300 more posts than me :lol

RedneckRicer
08-26-2002, 11:12 AM
living near portland i see a hell of a lot of cars with gigantic aluminum wings that pose a hazard to low flying planes. 90% of them look retarded, especially this one on an old Reliant K...but thats another story, i agree if you get a smaller one that fits the style of the cars, that its good, but the aluminum park benches... although they might work a little... i don't think they're worth the laughs