PDA

View Full Version : 89 LX Auto Trans Service

gorilla
03-01-2006, 02:42 PM
when i go do a trans service on my 89 lx 4door auto, is there a band adjustment that needs to be done also ???

i still am getting a little slip-rpm increase at 55 -60mph in o/d.

i changed out the fuild (2 quarts) via the drain plug.

i need some wisdom for you.
this accord runs killer, but the trans has me a little worried.

maybe it's time to replace the torque converter ???

gorilla

DBMaster
03-01-2006, 02:58 PM
No band adjustment. Take out the drain plug, clean the magnet on the end, put it back in and fill 'er up. It should take 3 quarts after draining. Maybe you are short on fluid and that is causing the slipping.

Of course, as old as these cars are you never know when the transmission will give up on you.

Hondaisok
03-01-2006, 04:16 PM
My 87 LX was doing the same. A tranny flush didn't help, but an additive gained me about a year. Finally had a rebuild-one of the clutch drums was cracked. Hope the fluid cures yours.(I know additives are a no-no to most mechanics, but after 20 years, it was worth a try and gave me a year or so to save for a rebuild)

B16KILLA
03-01-2006, 04:34 PM
Does anyone know if its safe to put in B&M "Trick Shift" ATF in our auto trannies .I want to try that......Oh back on subject my car was doing the same thing i put in another quart in and voala.

DBMaster
03-01-2006, 05:45 PM
The only additive I had any success with was Trans X. But, my problem was reluctance to shift into fourth gear when cold.

86-accord-lxi
03-02-2006, 12:01 AM
As many of you know, I had terrible transmisssion problems when I first purchased my 86 lxi. It turns out there was a TSB on the 86-87 accord automatic transmissions, I won't get into that since yours is an 89, and should not have the problems mentioned in the TSB. In my case the trans wouldn't shift from 1st to 2nd on its own, Even shifting manually, It slipped
all the time. I solved the problem by getting an 89 tranny at the J/Y . If you want to hear the whole story let me know, Although you should be able to find it doing a search for "automatic transmission" or something similar. I tried numerous fluid changes with dexron III and additives like lucas, trans x, slick 50, sea foam, They all seemed to make it worse. The additives have certain
kinds of alcohol in them that swell up seals and stop leaks, But If you use it once, you have to continue with every fluid change, Or you'll be leaking again.
You shouldn't have to use those additives, and If you feel that you do, It may be time for a rebuild or replacement. I learned the hard way to ONLY USE
HONDA A.T.F Z-1, It's worth the extra dollar or two per quart to save your transmission from being toast. I have been running Honda a.t.f z-1 In my "new" tranny since I Installed it, and so far, it shifts like brand new .
Proper adjustment of the throttle valve cable is critical for proper operation,
However this can be tailored to the drivers expectations. Refer to your haynes , or chiltons manual for instructions on adjustment. Or download the service manual here : http://www.pauldesign.ru/honda/shopmanual.html
Or use this : http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=40885
If you need any help, just e mail me at : [email protected], Or
PM me.

gorilla
03-03-2006, 07:52 PM
got the trans x oil today.

will drain and refill with the trans x + mobil1 oil.

thanks for the wisdom !!!

gorilla

gorilla
03-06-2006, 09:22 AM
put 2 quarts of mobil1 tranny fuild + and can of transx in sunday.
still having that slipping in passing mode problem at 55 -60 mph. all other shifts work fine.

the transx additive takes time to work it's magic ???

thanks to all for your help + wisdom.

gorilla

Hondaisok
03-07-2006, 12:42 PM
I used Lucas. Thick as heck. The tranny and torque converter hold almost 6 1/2 quarts. Service manual calls for 5 drain and fills after running for a while to change it all, unless you do a flush.

DBMaster
03-07-2006, 01:08 PM
Slipping probably indicates an issue that an additive will not solve so it probably won't hurt to try something like Lucas as well.

HondaBoy
03-07-2006, 01:38 PM
mine slips some times, but not really, just when going into gear until it catches. i've been told its a solenoid of some sort. one place told me it was at the top of the tranny? putting new fluid in mine didnt help a bit. i just know how to drive it so it works for me. but yeah, a tranny rebuild would be great. i'm trying to look for a parts place that sells a rebuilt honda transmission. i might just get it rebuilt at school in the transmission class. only thing is i have to wait for them to do it because they only have a few hours of class time and only meet like one day a week.

richardlarrios
04-29-2011, 04:03 PM
Hello everyone just came here thru refferal and i apologize for putting this thread up. Just badly need some assistance and i hope you'll not gonna mind it.So, here's my story. I have a 2005 Mazda 3 with 140k miles on it and I never serviced the transmission (automatic). The reason I didn't is because the owner's manual doesn't specify any service that fits for the auto. So I thought it might be a sealed transmission? But it has a dipstick so I'm confused.Am I pretty much screwed as far as transmission life goes now? I don't even check the fluid because I'm afraid. What are your suggestions? I don't understand why the owner's manual wouldn't say ANYTHING about servicing the transmission....on the other hand, im looking for a shop near nashville. Excuse me for the disturbance but im completely idiot to cars...help please. Thanks a lot and sorry for the long post.

TotaledTL
04-29-2011, 06:34 PM
Why would you be afraid to check the fluid? Consult a service manual or your dealer's service dept. to learn the correct way to do it. Have you tried searching for a forum that deals with your car?

Dr_Snooz
04-29-2011, 08:37 PM
Take the car to the dealer and ask them to look it over.

gp02a0083
04-30-2011, 05:04 AM
Does anyone know if its safe to put in B&M "Trick Shift" ATF in our auto trannies .I want to try that......Oh back on subject my car was doing the same thing i put in another quart in and voala.

i put trick shift in my 87 hatchback , didn't like it , shifted like garbage , i put th AZ-1 in never could be better

DBMaster
04-30-2011, 07:18 AM
Wow, this post if five years old! In June of 2009 my transmission left me stranded on the way to work. It started slipping just a bit a year or two prior and it finally couldn't keep the car moving. I spent some bucks on a rebuilt unit from Howard Engineering. They specialize in Honda/Acura transmissions and are the only rebuilt unit my mechanic will install. There are tons of transmission shops around here, by the way. This unit felt really good from the day of install two years ago. The rebuilder requires you to use ONLY Honda Z1 fluid during the warranty period and it is to be changed every 30K miles. I have rethought my statement about additives. If your tranny is old and high-mileage and you are having some problems, maybe it won't hurt to try the additives. I got 305,000 miles out of my original using only synthetic fluid from both Mobil and B&M (synthetic Trick Shift). I am going to stick with Honda Z1 at this point. It is a friction modified fluid and good stuff.