PDA

View Full Version : 3 12's

onehotaccord
03-01-2006, 06:30 PM
:wave: hey, im new to the forum. but ive been interested in car electronics since i found a crutchfield catalog back in 2000. i was hooked. since, ive done installs into five different vehicles. i really enjoy everything about car audio, but mainly i enjoy finishing and listening to the fruits of my labor. i've gotten pretty good, i installed 3 12's in my brothers corolla in about 45 minutes. then i built this custom box for them. two of em are pioneer's (125w rms) and one is JL12w0(125w rms). the box is built about 18" high 30"wide and 20"deep. something like that. Its as big as it could be and still able to get it in and out of the trunk. just barely. its a box design never before been built. and i feel kinda stupid braggin about it. and now on with the bragging. one box that has the benefits of a sealed box, a ported box, and a bandpass box. i designed a box for two subs with a divider(which is really a baffle to mount the third sub) in the middle. one side is sealed and the other is ported(tuned to 35 hz). the two pioneers show cone while the JL is inside the box mounted on the divider, and cannot be seen. although having them all in a sealed enclosure hit harder, now the high bass is clearer , it has a better range. it hits at average of 120 db(i bought a sound level tester at radio shock. it works to 126 db.useless). i have a kenwood 300W amp pushing them. the pioneers are 4ohm and the JL is 8ohm. the pioneers are wired in series(one had to be wired out of phase as well) and the JL in parallel (the final load of all three subs is 4ohm) the the kenwood is bridged, so each gets 100w. i would really like to get a kicker L7 and a class d amp, then i would be happy. if anyone has any questions feel free to ask:hs:

Sabz5150
03-01-2006, 07:27 PM
Welcome :)

ghettogeddy
03-01-2006, 07:44 PM
bring on the pics

mkymonkey
03-01-2006, 08:38 PM
uh....ok!

welcome to the board

87accordHB
03-01-2006, 09:39 PM
Um, yes..i got a question....what on Gods green earth does that have anything to do with 3geez.com? Now if you made it in a 3g, totally different story, but you just wasted a min. of my life reading a story that didnt at all...help me out at all. Grats on building the box and the knowledge, but.....
your post just now....was totally random....

ivanfbi
03-01-2006, 10:26 PM
whats up with that?
3 entry level subs in a small car, and small amp pushing them. You are talking about quantity, definately far from any sound quality. I swear it distorts badly, and i am sure, since you are no pro, your gains are not properly set as well. I would sell all that garbage, and get one sub that counts, at least a JL 12W3v2 or IDQ12v2. that way you would save about 50 pounds of weight, maybe even more, sound better and maybe even louder.

86-accord-lxi
03-02-2006, 12:27 AM
Go easy on him inavfbi, I remember when I was about 7 when I got into electronics, mainly audio. I learned some stuff the hard way, I was blowing up amps and speakers, But I did learn from my mistakes, and know now why
I made them. If you are truly passionate about car audio, I suggest studying
basic electronics, electronics theory, ohms law, ac/dc current, etc... Get a
strong background knowledge, Maybe even take some college courses on basic electronics. get a strong foundation to build on. That's what I am doing, soon after high school I plan to get MECP certified. How old are you anyway ? It sounds like your on the right path, Good luck. Go buy a 3g !

MrBen
03-02-2006, 12:32 AM
whats up with that?
3 entry level subs in a small car, and small amp pushing them. You are talking about quantity, definately far from any sound quality. I swear it distorts badly, and i am sure, since you are no pro, your gains are not properly set as well. I would sell all that garbage, and get one sub that counts, at least a JL 12W3v2 or IDQ12v2. that way you would save about 50 pounds of weight, maybe even more, sound better and maybe even louder.

Agreed. Even a JL 10W6 with a quality amp will get the job done and sound GREAT. I fell in love with JL subs.

Welcome to 3geez... I hope you find it useful!

86-accord-lxi
03-02-2006, 12:42 AM
Anybody else here a Kicker comp fan ? JL's do sound nice :)

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-02-2006, 06:26 AM
Um, yes..i got a question....what on Gods green earth does that have anything to do with 3geez.com? Now if you made it in a 3g, totally different story, but you just wasted a min. of my life reading a story that didnt at all...help me out at all. Grats on building the box and the knowledge, but.....
your post just now....was totally random....
I was thinking the same thing. Not just that you dont need 3 12" subs in a small car, you could have gotten just as sound if not better from just 2 JL's or another top company. I dont doubt that you know a lot about audio and im not trying to be ignorant but too many subs is a bad thing especially when you only have 100 watts to each. You might be able to get better sound if you did one 300watt sub to one 300 watt amp and get all its power instead of 3 subs putting out 375 watts rms with 1 300watt amp bridged. I have 2 12" boston rally series subs and a 1000w amp and I cant even sit in the car with it all the way up for more that 5 mins without getting a headache. But thats just my opinion

onehotaccord
03-02-2006, 01:37 PM
:beat: hey, did i say i was going down to compete at the iasca. im sorry i dont have a grand to throw into my sound system or im not seeking it professionally and getting a degree to install a stereo in my driveway. i was just excited that there is an audio section here. so if you would like to show me some trophies of drag competitions that ya'll have won then i will give you props:flip: . and listen to what you have to say, cause i know all you need is one really good 10 or 12 and a good amp, but im not spending 2 grand on my system, and im making the best with what ive acquired over the years. anyways nobody that replied could even tell me how to wire 2 4ohm and 1 8ohm into 4ohm bridged, and ive never blown an amp or blew my speakers, and im not rich and just ask my mommy to buy my something and she gets it for me, i have to get out and bust my ass 50 hours a week just to get by. so when someone i work with says hey i got 2 jl 12w0 in a box for 100 dollars, i will buy them, so kiss my ass if you say they are cheap and not worth listening to. cause i listen to them and dont have to worry about turning it down when i pull up next to a cop like some puss. and i do own a 3g. and audio is audio it doesnt matter what car it goes in unless your talking about stereo imaging and how many of you know where the precise speaker location and aim is in a 3g. just throw them in and start bangin. i just put a set of soundstream component 6.5's in my 87 accord and soon will change them to some infinity 6.5 with the plus one cone and edge driven tweeter cause there only 150 on ebay. components are the way to go up front coaxles suck and how many of you are pushin coaxles or three-ways, you suck. JBL amps are the best. im out biach

oh, and by the way, you dont need an aftermarket ignition system in your car, the stock system is plenty for most any setup, but people think having a beefier coil or wires or plugs is gonna make them go faster, but you get no horsepower gains from an upgraded ignition system. it the simple truth. just a difference between what you need and what you have to work with. what i have is working fine, so im not gonna but some big expensive shit just to impress you guys.

and to 87accordhb, im sorry i wasted a minute of your life, i guess you could've been tossin the neighbors dogs salad for that minute, and since its my fault how about you let me know when your done frenchin your sister so i can make another post you tenessee hillbilly:chainsaw:

ivanfbi - so i have three subs and you have two, i think your just jealous, oh btw, pay up. cus it doesnt distort. and i only have one gain, and how friggin hard is it to set a gain, like i dont know how to set volume, i swear your just scared of loud speakers and like to make others feel stupid, i feel sorry for you. i'll pray for you. Lord, oh Lord, i know you know brother ivanfbi, you probably look down on him everyday and wonder when, LOrd when, is ivanfbi gonna get his act together, Lord i ask that you help ivanfbi get laid so he wont have to expel his frustrations on me. thank you Lord for this time together. AMen. theres still hope for you ivanfbi, i believe in you. and i feel stupid for it.

87accordHB
03-02-2006, 02:13 PM
Lol, wow. in 3 post you just demostrated how imature you are. You cant take a little heat. You installed a system in a damn Toyota, not a 3g. So there for, your orginal post NEVER helped anyone here at this website with their cars. As far as spending money goes. NO ONE said to spend 2grand on a system. Anyone that does that and puts it in a daily driver is an idiot. As far as you working 50 hrs a week to make it by and buying a system for $100 bucks. More power to you. Im not going to brag about what I make and how many hours I got to work to collect that check, its none of your buisness, but even still...I buy systems at a cheap price so, so dont try to cling on to that sob story. And your still adding info to the thread that doesnt make any sense, a new ignition system? :wtf: anyways, as far as your last post, if i had it my way, you just bought yourself a ban from this website. But im not the mod of this section. Just know you made youself look like a total idiot and ass of yourself infront of everyone else at the site..not a good way to start off when just walking through the door. Take some time and try to come up with some more educated insults you dumbass...you seriously need :help:

onehotaccord
03-02-2006, 02:39 PM
yes, 87accordhb, but you raggin about how what i said doesnt help people with there cars cause it was about speakers i put in a toyota. If someone wants to know how to wire their amplifer and asks a question. are you gonna make sure that amp is goin into a 3g. how is every thread in the audio and security forum goin to be 100% 3g related questions, its not possible. cause speakers and amps and decks are not vehicle specific, they are wattage and ampreage specific. and stuff like that. anyways i sorry i pist you off to the point that you are requesting that i get banned from this site, i just dont take getting burned lightly, if i waste your time with a random post and you get offended by it; is the mature thing to do to tell that person ," hey you idiot you wasted my time! and by the way, your system is no good!" that is real mature. and im sorry i called you a sister kissin, doggie browneye lickin hillbilly. ~lets be friends~:slap: ~

2drSE-i
03-02-2006, 02:46 PM
keep it civil please. Everyone on the site knows that aftermarket ignition doesnt help much. In many cases it smooths out the idle. 87accord your going to quickly find yourself in trouble, i suggest you read the "Ill treatment of new members" thread. onehotaccord, i have a thread for you also. http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16068

A20A1
03-02-2006, 03:01 PM
We know there are those out there that buy a coil to say "I have a coil"
but not everyone is like that, some people take the time reap the benifits of a stronger coil, they adjust the spark gap and the air/fuel mix, etc. to get the most out of the part.

Keep it clean guys.

onehotaccord
87accordHB

Consider yourselves warned

http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=16068

onehotaccord
03-02-2006, 03:05 PM
in trouble, need to escape, no windows, i hope this works... :toilet:

i'll post pics soon. and the same thing could be done with one speaker and passive radiators. im telling you, the sound from this box is kickin. some audio research and development of my own. everyone is coming up with different ways to make their 3G better and working on it mechanically, im sure there were people asking "why are you fixing up that piece of sh*t!?" well?, that's what everyone just did to me. if i was all about having what everyone else says is the best, then i would have to trade in my accord and get a suv.

A20A1
03-02-2006, 03:20 PM
All I own is a pioneer deck and two three way? pioneer speakers. My audio is pimp, untill I turn up the volume. I used to have an Amp, but who knows, I think my friend has it along with my pioneer 10" or 12" sub in a wal-mart box.
It's the sub with the diamond plate look to it.

Anyways back in the day I tried to take the bose surround sound system sub and hook it into my car but I soon realized I didn't have an house power outlet to plug the box into. I think if my dad found out I messed with his expensive toys I would have been shot.

ghettogeddy
03-02-2006, 03:29 PM
[QUOTE=onehotaccord] anyways nobody that replied could even tell me how to wire 2 4ohm and 1 8ohm into 4ohm bridged, and ive never blown an amp or blew my speakers, QUOTE]
well personally i can make it happen but i dont think i could tell u how to do it but i can show u how to get massive stomp for under like $800 http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0666.jpg thats 3 10's 2700watts and 2.5fared worth of caps, and my first amp rack(it still has to be perfected)and all that cost about $600 http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0679.jpg thats my panasonic cq-c7301 head unit and i also have 4 polk audio db5 1/4 all for that $600 price range,but ya i was just like u when i started i had two like 1980's mtx tens and a jensen 300watt 2ch that hit but nothing like what i have know but thats how u start with nothing u know

86-accord-lxi
03-02-2006, 04:15 PM
I missed that, But it's easy, Wire the two 4ohm speakers in series to make 8 ohms, Then wire the 8 ohm speaker in parallel with that to make 4 ohms. And If you are reffering to my previous post when I mentioned blowing amps and speakers, I was 7 years old. Farad caps are pointless in a car audio setup,
the least they do is protect your amp, Do an upgrade like the big 3, and get an H.O alt, Caps are not worth it.

onehotaccord
03-02-2006, 05:37 PM
The amp i have is a kenwood. It says 600W on the front of it, but as everyone knows those numbers are usually the 1ohm output. Most amps cant handle 1ohm and can never achieve produce those watts. I have had this amp for about 5 years and it has been flawless. I have had good experience with a JBL amp too. I once checked their website and found some wild amps that cost around 4grand. JBL is deep in this business. They've outdone everyone. afaik. I cannot say anything good about Jenson though. I believe they are crap.

86accord is right. I knew someone would answer that question, i just didnt think it would be someone in highschool, when i was in high school I couldnt have guessed at the answer, I didn't know what an ohm was. I am 26 years old. And I used to take my Nintendo apart for fun when I was bored. I forgot to unplug it one time. Opps, no more Mario. And just so you know, I have an 87 Accord LXi, It has an A20A3 12V SOHC with PGMFI. It makes 110HP@5500RPM (stock) and 114FtLb@4500(stock); 8.8:1 CR; I got the car Nov. 05 and have drove it everyday since. It has 225,000 mi and a new water pump and alt. (which i put on myself) The timing belt looked new. I like the car alot. I think its the pop up headlights. And I plan on doing work to the bottom half of the engine and transmission this summer, cause then i can drive my other hoopty -79 Chrysler Cordoba(which has a bad heater core) The only reason i bought the honda was cause it has good heat, hence oneHOTaccord. I've gone too many winters in my life in a car without heat. I wasn't going to do it again, and that Honda has been a Godsend and I think I'm gonna keep it for a while. It is somewhat trashed, but I believe I can make it a descent car. I think a House of Kolor paint upgrade will be a nice start.

Hey ghetto, do you ever catch your feet on those wires?

And as far as prices go. Just the wires and fuses for a descent system is gonna run about $100. A descent deck that has GOOD eq setting(not just bass and treble) and good pre-amp voltage(all panasonic have 5V preout which is very good) is gonna be $150 @ verry least. A better alt. or two optima batteries, i don't know cost, you do the math, and on top of that an amp -say 300Watt class D 1 ohm stable will run about $400 and just one kick ass sub with 2ohm dvc about $350 and that's cheap, upgrade the cabin speakers will be about $150 just for the front -and thats for cheap mids, good mids will cost $350. You get what you pay for, or what the msrp is. I'm all for the quality of sound(I'm always tweaking the eq), but I had 4 12's in the back of my hooptie, and i don't care if anyone says that's too much, the girls loved it. and that's all that counts.

86-accord-lxi
03-02-2006, 06:21 PM
The amp i have is a kenwood. It says 600W on the front of it, but as everyone knows those numbers are usually the 1ohm output. Most amps cant handle 1ohm and can never achieve produce those watts. I have had this amp for about 5 years and it has been flawless. I have had good experience with a JBL amp too. I once checked their website and found some wild amps that cost around 4grand. JBL is deep in this business. They've outdone everyone. afaik.

That's why I like vintage audio, atleast for home audio anyway. Back then
the power ratings were actual true rms ratings, Not peak ratings. However
today you can still get good amps with true ratings, They will say "cea compliant". I absolutely love almost every L series speaker JBL ever made,
Especially the l-100's. The marantz receiver I have is rated at 35 watts rms
per channel into 8 ohms, I recently had it bench tested and it tested out
to just that, 35 watts rms per channel @ 8 ohms . It was HiFi for it's day,
and to get a receiver with the SQ, and guts that the marantz has nowadays
would cost at least $1,000 or more, And that's just entry level. The marantz
was $480 back in 1978, Which was a little expensive for it's time. You are better of buying a name brand amp with a good reputation, and cea compliance rating of 35 watts rms per channel like marantz, or alpine, Rather than buying a cheap amp with a rating of 200 watts per channel like a crappy
legacy, rockwood, pyramid, etc... The cheaper higher powered amp may be a little louder, But your SQ will suffer tremendously. Go for quality, not quantity. That's just my 2 cents. All the guys on here that know anything about true HiFi would agree.

87accordHB
03-02-2006, 08:17 PM
I relieze i made a mistake because after i wrote a reply to your eariler comment, i reliezed that it was under the audio section. For some reason i forgot we had that section, and its only because I never chk that part of the site out. So my mistake by saying it was totally random. I was in the wrong there. I made my self look like a dumbass there. But, i never said your system was a POS. I even said congrats. nevertheless, my bad. as far as calling me a sister kissing, dog salad tossing hillbilly, that really pissed me off, but I was having a bad day at work to begin with and i vented on you. feel lucky! lol, nah im playing man. Its funny because you and me are alike, i got hooked from a crutchfield mag as well back in 2000 i believe and started ghetto riggin systems in my civic hatch I had. And i cant talk shit because I just threw a system into my 91 Dodge Caravan. :wtf: right? yeh i know, and my daughter is due to be born in 13 days. Ive learned to read the directory of the post so i wont make that mistake again. Sorry to get off on the bad foot. i smoked my cig and im better now. Do you have pictures of this box because im soon going to be making a custom box enclosure for my 4door accord. Im taking the backseats out and rear deck and making a full box running into half of my truck with a floating amp rack in the trunk. Your the box builder...got any ideas on how to do this good yet easy?

now sign this treaty X____________________

Welcome to the board.

yes, 87accordhb, but you raggin about how what i said doesnt help people with there cars cause it was about speakers i put in a toyota. If someone wants to know how to wire their amplifer and asks a question. are you gonna make sure that amp is goin into a 3g. how is every thread in the audio and security forum goin to be 100% 3g related questions, its not possible. cause speakers and amps and decks are not vehicle specific, they are wattage and ampreage specific. and stuff like that. anyways i sorry i pist you off to the point that you are requesting that i get banned from this site, i just dont take getting burned lightly, if i waste your time with a random post and you get offended by it; is the mature thing to do to tell that person ," hey you idiot you wasted my time! and by the way, your system is no good!" that is real mature. and im sorry i called you a sister kissin, doggie browneye lickin hillbilly. ~lets be friends~:slap: ~

Sabz5150
03-02-2006, 09:01 PM
anyways nobody that replied could even tell me how to wire 2 4ohm and 1 8ohm into 4ohm bridged

EDIT: Beaten to the punch!!!!

onehotaccord
03-03-2006, 04:49 PM
i accept your apology 87accordhb and i also apologize about my remarks. i really cant say anything about you being a hillbilly cause i live in knoxville. congratulations on the baby girl.
as for ideas on an easy box, i would really need to get a grasp on what your trying to do? are you wanting the box to go from just behind the front seats into the trunk, are you gettin a pair of 24" speakers to need a box that big. explain a little better and i will throw some ideas at you and help if i can. i am honored that you would even ask. i been wanting to get into making fiberglass enclosures for some creative custom work. but the idea i have for my accord is gettin a set of 8"s and building a small box for each. i dont have any clue wether to use sealed or ported. but i was gonna mount the speaker from the inside, you know instead of seeing the mounting ring it will be on the inside, so i can mount the box flush to where the back speakers go, inside the trunk, screwed to the back deck. speaker pointing up through the factory speaker holes and maybe a 12" in there too in between facing through the fold down armrest in the back. i dont know if i will , but its just an idea. you know some people will disagree about using three subs, but i really enjoy experimenting.
right now im sound deadening the front doors, too much vibration from the 6.5's. dynomat is too expensive, im gonna have to check into something that will work the same but cheaper.
here is the dynomat around the speaker cutout, i used a utility knife to cut it. this is the front driver door
http://img161.imageshack.us/img161/9166/leftspeaker12sv.jpg
i decided to construct some kind of box for the speaker out of dynamax
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/leftspeaker2.jpg
this used two and a half 10"X10" pieces of dynamat or 1 1/2 speaker kits.
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/leftspeaker3.jpg
i stuffed soo much polyfill in here to get it to sound like it did without the so-called box. i just kept stuffing it in there and screw the speaker up and listen and unscrew and stuff some more untill the bass filled out and didnt distort. this also happens to be when i thought i wasted my time with this box idea.
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/leftspeaker4.jpg
if you look closely at the left side of the speaker you can see a gap. the so called box is not sealed.
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/leftspeaker5.jpg
so i sealed it.
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/leftspeaker8.jpg
overall, it sounds better than the passenger side, which has no dynomat. but dynamat is too expesive, i'll do the passenger speaker area, but find a cheaper method to cover the inside of the whole door to cut down the vibration in the middle of the door panel. i cant roll my window all the way down cause it'll hit the dynamat, but i couldnt with those speakers in there anyway cause theyre not shallow mount.:uh:

TheWatcher
03-04-2006, 11:12 AM
this is the front driver door
i stuffed soo much polyfill in here to get it to sound like it did without the so-called box. i just kept stuffing it in there and screw the speaker up and listen and unscrew and stuff some more untill the bass filled out and didnt distort. this also happens to be when i thought i wasted my time with this box idea.
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/leftspeaker4.jpg
so i sealed it.
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/leftspeaker8.jpg
overall, it sounds better than the passenger side, which has no dynomat. vibration in the middle of the door panel. i cant roll my window all the way down cause it'll hit the dynamat, but i couldnt with those speakers in there anyway cause theyre not shallow mount.:uh:
I would back off on the polyfill, it's gonna get into the voice coils, and you don't want that. :( Also, water will get into the doors and soak the polyfill, keeping the moisture inside the door panel, which is not good for the door panel (rust) or the speakers (deterioration if it's treated paper). I would just get rid of the polyfill and use something else.

Since you already sealed it, I hope you took some polyfill out before you sealed it up, because (as you mentioned) dynamat extreme is expensive. :)

Too bad you picked the wrong speakers (too deep), now you have to warn the passenger not to roll the windows all the way down everytime you have a newbie passenger. :thumbdn: I would just sell the speakers on ebay, then use the money to buy something that fits. A shallow speaker in the front is okay, because the bass is gonna come from the rear speakers/subwoofer(s).

Good luck, I hope everything works out.

Peace.

onehotaccord
03-08-2006, 05:30 PM
so, i should take the polyfill out? thats a good idea. i didn't even think of moisture. I thought maybe i did a good job of sealing it all up, but i found a drop of water on the mounting ring at a bottom screw hole. I dont kknow if i care enough about getting shallow mount speakers. i am thinking of building little speaker pods in the pillars to mount the tweeters for better imaging. and if i get another pair of speakers for the rear, they'll be components and im toying with the idea of puting the tweeter for rear , up front. any feedback on that? pro's? con's? i cant really tell about something until i try it.

here's a pic of what front speakers look like now:
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/pass_speaker.jpg

and here's my destroyed center console:
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/centerconsole.jpg
It was like this when I got it. I have moved things around a bit. I am looking for a replacement. That's my Pioneer deck. It just plays CD's....and it picks up the mexican radio on A.M. ROCKIN'
That crome shift knob adds around 5 HP! The car was already modded when I got it.

86-accord-lxi
03-08-2006, 08:58 PM
That's a dangerous spot for those tweeters. Somebosy might step on them, or scuff them with their shoes. Why don't you go to the J/Y to pick up a center console and HVAC controls ? If it were me, I would not get components for the rear, I would get 2 way coaxials instead, And set the fade a little more towards the front. That's if you want a good soundstage, and image up front. The rears should only help the front image by creating ambience. For a good soundstage the rear speakers should not be equal to the front speakers, nor should the rear speakers "over power" the front speakers. If you choose to use components in the rear, I definetely would not
put the rear tweeters up front.

onehotaccord
03-14-2006, 05:16 PM
I just recently moved the tweeters. I heard that they could get kicked by soo many people. I put them in the front pillars (I dont' know if that is what they are called.) I had to cut a hole in the pillars themselves to get the tweeter to fit. I'll post pics.

Sabz5150
03-14-2006, 07:33 PM
That's a dangerous spot for those tweeters. Somebosy might step on them, or scuff them with their shoes. Why don't you go to the J/Y to pick up a center console and HVAC controls ? If it were me, I would not get components for the rear, I would get 2 way coaxials instead, And set the fade a little more towards the front. That's if you want a good soundstage, and image up front. The rears should only help the front image by creating ambience. For a good soundstage the rear speakers should not be equal to the front speakers, nor should the rear speakers "over power" the front speakers. If you choose to use components in the rear, I definetely would not
put the rear tweeters up front.

I run components in the rear, however I plan to complement them with front components as well. Also with the gain controls for my amp in the glovebox, I can set up the soundstage properly for normal audio and then back to equal for surround sound. The processor takes care of the center and sub volumes.

Anywho, I am not a fan of putting the tweets on the pillars. They need to be close enough so that a low to high frequency change doesn't send the sound from the bottom of the car to the top.

Just my twopence.

ivanfbi
03-15-2006, 01:14 AM
onehotaccord I don't have 2 subs, i have one. I am not afraid of loud systems, I have JL XR650-csi in front in custom made ( by me ) kick pods (i am not sure if you know what that is) pushed by PG Xenon 100.2. In reality, each side gets around 130W, meaning i have more power just in my front speakers than you have in your subs. And i have no rear speakers, because it has been proven handreds of times that rear speakers kill sound image (not sure if you know what this is either) and I have one Image Dynamics IDQ12V3D4 wired into 2ohm pushed by PG xenon 400.1 in reality it is 420W. And believe me, it gets loud, and enough power to shake your diapers off.

Also, you are a newbie, and i am older member, and until you do something actually helpfull to this forum, nobody is gonna respect you, so if i would be you, i would stop acting like a 7th grader

Wrayza
03-16-2006, 12:23 AM
Hang on, you wired one of the front pioneers out of phase so the third sub in the divider didn't create a vacuum in one of the enclosures.

But if the two subs on the front baffle are out of phase they will cancel each other out a fair amount. Whats the story now? Not sure if its already been pointed out.

[EDIT] 86-accord, never thought I would run into a vintage jbl enthusiast on here. Can't say we've ever owned any of the L series though. We've had 4350's, 4344's many 4312's and 11's, some 4333A's and most recently some 4430's. Dad and I used to buy and restore them for a bit of cash on the side.

onehotaccord
03-19-2006, 08:37 PM
I know that this is not the most effiencent enclose. I'm gonna hook it all up differently tomorrow...to seee how different the sound is, since ive been listening to it soo much. and I'm gonna check it with the spl meter i got. to see the differences there, and im gonna get some pictures up of the box. but i must warn you, the box is still naked.

I think it provides vaccuum, but the out of phase point might have some solid ground. im gonna check it all out tomorrow.

I'm think i might buy some volphenhgen 12's. and a volphenhagen amp. a coworker is sellin em and i was with him when i bought the sound level tester, and the level meter stayed maxed out at 126db. they'll be loud enough, but i dont know about the quality. But im no audiophile. oh, and two jensen amps come with the deal, but i have not had good experience with jensen amps, but i might hook em up to my fronts anyways. and really get the headlights dimmin.

I'm also gonna design a new box for the three old subs. I'll post pictures if anyone wants to see how it goes.

onehotaccord
03-19-2006, 08:49 PM
onehotaccord I don't have 2 subs, i have one. I am not afraid of loud systems, I have JL XR650-csi in front in custom made ( by me ) kick pods (i am not sure if you know what that is) pushed by PG Xenon 100.2. In reality, each side gets around 130W, meaning i have more power just in my front speakers than you have in your subs. And i have no rear speakers, because it has been proven handreds of times that rear speakers kill sound image (not sure if you know what this is either) and I have one Image Dynamics IDQ12V3D4 wired into 2ohm pushed by PG xenon 400.1 in reality it is 420W. And believe me, it gets loud, and enough power to shake your diapers off.
Also, you are a newbie, and i am older member, and until you do something actually helpfull to this forum, nobody is gonna respect you, so if i would be you, i would stop acting like a 7th grader

yes i know what kick pods is. I seen em in a 87 accord too, custom made in a wooden enclosure. I just put mine in the doors and the tweeters in the things...uh , pillars. which i was told is not the best place. and i think you are strecting the numbers of your amp. phenix gold is a good brand. and i'm sure there numbers are accurate. they probably test the amps at 14.4V. So if it says 100.2, its probably 100 by 2, unless they rated there amps at 12V, then yes, it might be 130W. but i have a 300W kenwood pushin the subs, and in seventh grade i learned that 300 > 260. I am glad to hear that you have good components in your car, i have seen someone with 5 10" sony pentagonn speakers in the back of a taurus. that's just rediculas. but anyway,

86-accord-lxi
03-19-2006, 08:56 PM
[EDIT] 86-accord, never thought I would run into a vintage jbl enthusiast on here. Can't say we've ever owned any of the L series though. We've had 4350's, 4344's many 4312's and 11's, some 4333A's and most recently some 4430's. Dad and I used to buy and restore them for a bit of cash on the side

I started buying vintage receivers, restoring them and selling for extra money.
Since I got my 3g I have not been into it as much,Too busy with the 3g and other things. But I do love vintage equipment and will get back into when I am done with school and such. My favorite is marantz and mcintosh. My mom use to own a pair of l-150a's, They were one of the best L series.

onehotaccord
03-26-2006, 09:33 PM
Finally I got a chance to get a quick pic of the box described in the first post of this thread.
I beat the crap out of it to get the 3rd sub out, that's the trash you see in there and the port is barely visible - it's the white thing. It was the first box i ever made. I never even got it carpeted. anyways here's the pic. enjoy.
http://home.comcast.net/~terrystottler/firstboximade.jpg
those subs sounded better in that box than it does now. I know sound quality is what's important, but ghetto systems don't cost much. and dont sound great. but they sound good.

mkymonkey
03-26-2006, 11:55 PM
wow that is such a great big picture! i can see everything you mentioned!

onehotaccord
03-28-2006, 08:23 PM
yeah, haha, I know the picture sucks. I took it with my phone and when ever the battery gets low....the phone automatically changes all the settings to save power and picture quality is one of them. I never know until i download the pics. It was too late to take another one. I trashed the box.