PDA

View Full Version : brake "upgrade"

gp02a0083
03-01-2006, 11:33 PM
ok well my new 87' HB has the junk smaller disks in the front, i was smart enough to take the rotors and calpers and the drivers side knuckle off of my 89' lxi (didnt take the passenger side though it might have been bent from the accident) and the HB i have is allready a LXi so my question is all ill need is the other steering knuckle and ill be ok for the swap? ive searched a few things and the master cylender and brake booster keeps coming up , i just want to know if the brake booster is about the same for the 86-87 and the 88-89?

Strugglebucket
03-01-2006, 11:38 PM
as far as i know the brake booster is the same. the master cylinder is bigger though, 15/16" compared to 7/8".

gp02a0083
03-01-2006, 11:44 PM
they changed the size on the 86-87 and 88-89 lxi's

gp02a0083
08-06-2007, 06:15 PM
bump

ok so today i got my from 89 lxi brakes on my 87 lxi, only problem now i bled the system and i had some brake pedal , my father bled it and it has allmost no pedal

i got the 89 knuckles and calipers on im still using the 87 master cyclender and brake booster , i read somewhere on here that you have the change the MC but otehr people are saying it dont matter

so who is right ?

Legend_master
08-06-2007, 06:19 PM
bump
ok so today i got my from 89 lxi brakes on my 87 lxi, only problem now i bled the system and i had some brake pedal , my father bled it and it has allmost no pedal
i got the 89 knuckles and calipers on im still using the 87 master cyclender and brake booster , i read somewhere on here that you have the change the MC but otehr people are saying it dont matter
so who is right ?

I am running the factory hatchback Brake booster and Master cylinder, and it definitely feels dine with my 11" brake upgrade.

MessyHonda
08-06-2007, 06:29 PM
what type of fluid did you use?

dot 3 or dot 4?

russiankid
08-06-2007, 07:58 PM
bump
so who is right ?
You have air trapped somewhere.

gp02a0083
08-07-2007, 12:20 PM
i figured as much , i bled the lines last night again , im still running the 87 lxi master cylender and its still junk. i got a MC from autozone this morning and the 88-89 Mc is noticably bigger than the 87 MC i think im gonna swap that out b/c in a few weeks the rears will be swapped out. i thought like someone else mentioned that i got ait in the system , its possable i had the brakes sittin for a while so i should have bench blead them. one question i still have about bleeding the brakes i forgot the order you have to bleed them if ur changing MC's

MessyHonda
08-07-2007, 12:27 PM
i figured as much , i bled the lines last night again , im still running the 87 lxi master cylender and its still junk. i got a MC from autozone this morning and the 88-89 Mc is noticably bigger than the 87 MC i think im gonna swap that out b/c in a few weeks the rears will be swapped out. i thought like someone else mentioned that i got ait in the system , its possable i had the brakes sittin for a while so i should have bench blead them. one question i still have about bleeding the brakes i forgot the order you have to bleed them if ur changing MC's

always start with the longest line then work your self down to the shortest one. so rear right, rear left, front right, front left. its kinda easy with rear disks since the calipers have a bled nut.