PDA

View Full Version : Paint color opinion

JFreddy
03-02-2006, 02:06 PM
Alright, So I finally got some time off from sports and school for a little while, time to bring the Accord in the garage and do some body work. Question time
Shave or not to Shave?
Emblems?
Plastic Door Moldings?
Handles?

Should I get a lip and paint it the same color as the car or get a lip and keep it a flat black so if I scrape I wont get mad for wrecking paint.?

Last but not least... Need a good color black,
Whats in our stock black that makes it glisten almost a rainbowy color when its wet?
Should I try to hunt down our stock black color or is there another black that someone can suggest? (im looking for a black with some kind of fleck preferabbly a subtle blue but looking for suggestions, maybe candy black looks better I donno. Also New rims on their way Tenzo R Black 5 spoke with Chrome lip) just so u get an idea of what to look at.

3rdgenhatchDX
03-02-2006, 02:14 PM
...so your looking for black metallic?
http://www.paintscratch.com/

Hash_man_Se_i
03-02-2006, 03:26 PM
Get the black from the 03 Acura tl-s... i think its nighthawk black or something like that... it has a bit of a blueish flake to it and looks really nice. Also, with the sort of look you are going for do this...
lip - yes and painted to match
do not shave mouldings but paint them to match
shave emblems except the honda one in the middle on the back.

Then your car will look awesome, and I like the wheel choice, should look good. The lip on tenzo wheels is awesome

2drSE-i
03-03-2006, 09:30 AM
i would keep the H emblem and EX-i, but remove honda and accord.

dont shave the side moldings, car looks goofy without them. the doors just suddenly change angles, but with moldings you dont really see that.

TheWatcher
03-04-2006, 10:48 AM
i would keep the H emblem and EX-i, but remove honda and accord.
dont shave the side moldings, car looks goofy without them. the doors just suddenly change angles, but with moldings you dont really see that.
If you do the doors right, they look fantastic.

Here's AOM October - 88' Accord Ltd's shaved doors.
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/290000-290999/290159_88_full.jpg

88' Accord Ltd welded metal into the doors, which is the right way to shave the doors. :thumbup:

If you're gonna be cheap, and just fill the whole thing w/ bondo, then don't shave the doors. :lol:

Otherwise, shave the doors if you want. :)

Peace.

2drSE-i
03-04-2006, 11:00 AM
http://memimage.cardomain.net/member_images/2/web/290000-290999/290159_85_full.jpg

heres what im talking about, the angle of the door just suddenly drops off. personally i think he did an excellent job, but to me, it kinda changes the whole look of the body, in a negative fashion. Not bashing his work, because i think thats a beatufil car.

edit: wow, spelling good? beautiful.

89AccordResto
03-04-2006, 11:25 AM
My suggestion is to not shave anything, and keep the trim. Go with a black pearl, subaru used to have a pretty neat color in the mid 90s that had REALLY tiny flecks of red metallic in it, I love that color. And yeah, keep the lip flat black for easy touchups. Also, the side moldings help tie the front end of the car to the back end. It's a continuous line. Removing that line would result in a kinda funny 'unfinished' look.

JFreddy
03-04-2006, 03:54 PM
thanks for all the information, everyone has really good points, and just for information if I was to shave anything it would not be bondo, I got a dad that is do it right do it once kinda guy, its welding in metal or no shaving at all. Still thinking of what the final plan is going to be, I like the Acura Knighthawk black, and the subaru color... those sound most appealing to me, and for what to shave and what not to... haent decided yet. so if u have more opinions I'm happy to read them.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-04-2006, 06:33 PM
even if he welds metal, he will still have to use a nice abount of bondo to get the door to shape right, i know, ive been there

2drSE-i
03-04-2006, 09:58 PM
done right, bondo is a good thing, even a large amount of it. you just gotta do it right, which is insanely hard.

JFreddy
03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
YEah, I kno I would still have to use bondo to make it smooth, and just for my own information, in a nutshell what is the way wrong way to use bondo and the way right way to use it? I got ideas but not in detail they are just kinda a blur.