PDA

View Full Version : Oil Light Slow to Go Off

swiftymorgan
03-02-2006, 03:48 PM
87 Accord LX - With cold start and restarts after 30 min or longer, the oil light stays on for a heart stopping second or two. The light goes off instantly with restart after 10-15 minutes or less. I’m pretty sure it’s caused by oil draining from the filter because the problem comes and goes with different filters and I’ve noticed when I park with the nose pointing down hill the problem is worse and better/nonexistent pointing up hill. Also I took the filter off and it contained almost no oil. I’ve owned this car since Ronald Reagan was President and the problem has always been there but happened least with Fram 3593’s (I know I know! Fram sucks) until lately and now the 3593’s are draining. I looked up the filter review on the Prelude group and got a Mobil 1 M1-104, same problem, official Honda filter from dealer worst of all.
Questions:
Any one else notice this problem? Is filter drainage the problem? Is there a filter that won’t drain? Has the filter design changed over the years making them less compatible with 3G’s? Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

LUX88LXI
03-02-2006, 03:58 PM
I had a '94 Integra that would do the same thing and it only had 100K... I wouldn't worry about it if its only a second. Im sure that its just taking longer to go off because the engine is getting older and it has less oil pressure than it used to... a thicker oil might help, too...

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-02-2006, 04:13 PM
Do not use Fram filters. They tend to suffer from drain back problems. This, according to many sources, is because a cheap plastic anti-drain back valve is used in the filter. It has a poor seal and does not hold oil. My personal favorite is Purolator. Based on various test results I've seen, Purolator seems to provide great quality at a reasonable price.

P.S.: Official Honda filters are also manufactured by Fram. Hence the problem is also present in the OEM filters. I believe US and Canada are subject to the poorly-made OEM filters.

Hope this helps.

swiftymorgan
03-02-2006, 04:20 PM
I should have mentioned it has 139,000 miles but I don’t think it’s engine wear because there was no problem until I changed the oil/filter (10w40) a few weeks ago plus I noticed it when the miles were low. I’d be willing to bet it’s something to do with the oil filter.