PDA

View Full Version : Alternator assembly Q

Soundy
03-03-2006, 06:34 PM
Okay, put new brushes in my alt, slapped it back together... seems to be working now, but there's a kinda buzzing sound, like you'd get if, say, the end of the rotor shaft was rubbing on the back cover. Now I'm trying to remember if maybe there are supposed to be three nuts locking down the diode pack first, then three more holding the cover on, providing a litte space under the cover, instead of just slipping the cover over the pack and then bolting them down together?

There wasn't an extra set of nuts when I took this one apart, but I'm thinking now there might have been when I did so the last time it died, about 8 months ago, and thinking the alternator shop that rebuilt it may have forgot something (I know he forgot the rubber insulator that fits over the brush assembly).

Anyone disassembled 3G's alt lately that can confirm or deny?

carotman
03-04-2006, 08:32 AM
The diodes are bolted to the alternator with phillips screws.

The 3 8mm nuts are then securing the cover and the diodes in place.

Soundy
03-04-2006, 09:23 AM
Thank you, that's all I needed to know: I bolted (or nutted) the cover on directly over the diode pack because that's the way it came off, but it seemed to ride really low and leave a LOT of the studs sticking out, so I wasn't sure if there was supposed to be another set of nuts between the diodes and cover.

Whatever the "rubbing" noise was before, it's gone now, so I guess it's all good.

Thanks again.

88Accord-DX
03-04-2006, 10:26 AM
Funny that my post got deleted. I'm little to old for name calling. Thank you.

I just warned him not to be name calling.