PDA

View Full Version : A/C Compressor Is Dead...

TechnoGecko
03-04-2006, 03:51 PM
Pulled the connector to the a/c compressor clutch and checked it, almost a dead short. So I guess I need to replace the clutch. So my question is has anyone replaced the clutch without replacing the entire compressor?

I can pickup a compressor for fairly inexpensive on eBay, but the system was charged not too long ago and if it is at all possible to swap the clutches without removing the entire compressor that would be amazing. Perhaps a long shot, but worth asking.

Has anyone done this or have any suggestions?

DBMaster
03-04-2006, 04:59 PM
It is possible to do it, but clearance is the issue. I think the Keihin compressor allows just enough clearance to pull it, however, chances are very good that you may end up with a shaft seal leak after doing it. That's why I ended up with a brand new Sanden compressor seven years ago.

TechnoGecko
03-04-2006, 07:45 PM
I see the compressors for $80-120 on eBay which isnt terrible, but i'd hate to buy another used one and see the clutch go out. Checker has new clutches for $40'ish, and since this A/C has been good for the past year I'd rather not gamble on an entirely new compressor.

Not sure what to do...