PDA

View Full Version : Drilled, slotted, dimpled?????????

Chrome_thangs
08-21-2002, 08:42 PM
what is the advantage of getting the drilled or slotted rotors? My stock rotors are warped and old and need relacing soon. Should i get bigger rotors? if so what size? I'm looking for optimal stopping power. Any suggestions?

TeKKnoTeKK
08-21-2002, 08:48 PM
I believe the advantage of them is to keep the rotor cooler during allowing it to breathe, I could be wrong tho :D

POS carb
08-21-2002, 10:23 PM
yea, it's to allow for gasses and debris to have a path of escape. Larger rotors have a larger surface area and therefore offer better stopping power and their larger overall surface area allows them to disipitate heat at a faster rate so you don't get the dreaded overheated rotors (once the temperature gets too high you loose the friction between the pads and rotors)

anchovies
08-22-2002, 12:29 AM
drilled rotors tend to crack
slotted rotors are better
but both are definitely better than stock or just air cooled rotors
for dissipating heat

to get bigger rotors u'll need to the upgrade kit which is not cheap
oldswapschool has done it...and there's none for our cars afaik

TeKKnoTeKK
08-22-2002, 01:43 AM
I think the drilled/slotted rotors are less likely to warp also because of less heat.

AZmike
08-22-2002, 04:13 PM
They'll still get just as hot during braking. The energy of the moving car has to go somewhere. The holes give the rotor more surface area and promote turbulent airflow. This makes the rotor cool faster (less fade after repeated hard stops), but doesn't prevent them from reaching the same high temperatures. I've also heard that cross-drilled rotors frequently crack, but I don't have any experience with it myself.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-22-2002, 07:19 PM
I was the slotted/dimpled rotor runner (:huh: man that sound weird). They were dimpled for 2 reasons. They avoid the cracking issue my not being drilled all the way through. And I've heard that cross drilling effect the balance of the rotor because some of the material that the manufacture has in place for balance gets removed during the drilling process. Find my post in this thread to hear how I felt about their performance and to get an idea of how I tested mine.:D

http://www.3geez.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4715

Jims 86LXI HB
08-26-2002, 02:33 AM
And price wise I can't complain, I got them for $100 for the pair.

POS carb
08-26-2002, 11:30 AM
lol I thought "dimpled" was a joke, I didn't know they made those

Jims 86LXI HB
08-26-2002, 12:45 PM
:lol yep sure do, he's a closeup of them on my car

ACCORD EX
08-26-2002, 01:19 PM
looks nice ! :super:

MIKE