PDA

View Full Version : What Should I Do?

oldschool3g
03-05-2006, 12:15 AM
Ok Guys This Is My 1989 Honda Accord Lxi Hatch...i Love This Car..ive Had It For A Year Now And Ive Put Some Work Into It...only I Havent Put Much Work To The Engine..just A Custom Cold Air Intake...the Only Think I Dont Like Is That Its Automatic...i Mean Its Cool...but I Would Prefer Manual....what Do You Guys Think?...it Has Over 20000 Miles On It...its Taken Me Everywhere...lol..do You Guys Think If I Do The 5-speed Manual Swap...it Would Run Better Than It Is Now...or Should I Just Rebuild My Automatic?
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f37/twhonza/101_0751.jpg
http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f37/twhonza/101_0753.jpg

87accordHB
03-05-2006, 12:24 AM
Do a 5sp tranny swap and rebuild that engine man, your car is sexy as hell.

mkymonkey
03-05-2006, 12:33 AM
dude what you have to do is first, do the 5sp swap, and second, come to our track meet so you can test it :D:D

ill tell the you the only thing i hate about owning a manual car in socal. (either the OC or LA conty) is how tiring it is to have to shift in and out of first in rush hour traffic. i mean by the time youre home you have to have at least 3 surgeries for carpetunel (sp?)

lol other than that, its hell as fun to drive a 3g with a 5sp....i say do it

oldschool3g
03-05-2006, 12:36 AM
sounds like fun...but how much do you think it would cost me to do the swap?...i cant do it myself so i have to take it to a shop?

getready
03-05-2006, 06:59 AM
one of the nicest hatches ever

5speed and turbo!

A20A1
03-05-2006, 10:35 AM
I always had the 5-Speed swap as backup... I used to rev and downshift in the auto playing with the TV cable and figured when the trans died I would do the swap... thing is the trans is still going, of course I have the oil cooled with 2 oil coolers, one fan assisted, so that could be a factor. Anyways now my colllection of 5-speed components has dwindled. So no swap for me.

I say go for the 5-speed.

And stop showing off your hatch...

You make me Jealous

...I mean sick... yes thats it...

j/p :lol:

:)

oldschool3g
03-05-2006, 01:19 PM
lol...thanks guys but does anybody have an estimate of how much that swap would cost me?...ant thanks for the coments on my hatch...ill try not to show it off too much;)...lol

87accordHB
03-05-2006, 04:35 PM
Your best bet would be to just get another hatch LXI 5sp and switch everythig over and get a painjob so your body kit matches...thats what id do if i were you. makes more sense. IF you dont know how to do a 5sp conversion, youll spend alot doing the conversion...labor and PARTS. get another 3g hatch and swap it all over....thats the cheaper and easiest way to do if your not mechainacally (sp chk) inclined

kaltenacht
03-05-2006, 04:45 PM
that is one HOT hatch. I hope it runs as good as it looks. If i were you, and had enough $$$, I would either A) Get a JDM A20 and swap it, or B) get a B18 and swap that. Or if your wanting to keep the stock engine, rebuild it, and bore out the pistons, get a bigger intake manifold, and port match the head, and go w/some headers and turbo it...

Cheeseburger
03-05-2006, 04:50 PM
swap swap swap!!!! 5 speed :Owned: automatics

that is one HOT hatch. I hope it runs as good as it looks. If i were you, and had enough $$$, I would either A) Get a JDM A20 and swap it, or B) get a B18 and swap that. Or if your wanting to keep the stock engine, rebuild it, and bore out the pistons, get a bigger intake manifold, and port match the head, and go w/some headers and turbo it...
why would he get a JDM A20:ugh2: :nuts: considering that he lives in California and there are smog laws :toilet:

MessyHonda
03-05-2006, 05:05 PM
yeah you would have to find a "donor car" that has a 5 speed then then u have to take your time and swap it.you still have to pay for stuff like if you want a better clutch and other stuff like that...hope you have fun

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-05-2006, 07:01 PM
Do a 5-speed swap and re-build the motor and add some performance parts.

B16KILLA
03-05-2006, 07:12 PM
swap swap swap!!!! 5 speed :Owned: automatics
why would he get a JDM A20:ugh2: :nuts: considering that he lives in California and there are smog laws :toilet:

The JDM engine wont affect smog aslong as it has all the equipment.The place I bought my engine from said that they import all their used engines from japan.So I guess you can say i got a jdm motor yo LOL...

oldschool3g
03-05-2006, 08:52 PM
wow thanks for all your replies guys...you guys are a bigg help....ive only got about 2500 to spend on it so i think im just gonna keep it the way it is and rebuild the engine...and add some mods...you guys think it will run like new if i do this?

TheWatcher
03-06-2006, 03:07 AM
wow thanks for all your replies guys...you guys are a bigg help....ive only got about 2500 to spend on it so i think im just gonna keep it the way it is and rebuild the engine...and add some mods...you guys think it will run like new if i do this?
You finished one half of the equation w/ the CAI, why not get the other half done w/ a header and custom exhaust? A new header and custom exhaust system will add some hp.

It breathes better (w/ the CAI), but the stock header and exhaust pipe is smothering it's potential. You can get a new header and custom exhaust done, and still have money left over to add some other engine mod.

Peace.

oldschool3g
03-06-2006, 08:23 AM
yeah...i am planning on getting some headers, custom exhaust, maybe dual, optima batterie, msd ignition coil...but the thing is im afraid if i do these mods my engine would go out on me...i mean its taken a beating over the past year or so...its still running decent...but not like before...and sometimes i feel its getting worst....so would you guys recommend i do the rebuild first...or mods?

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-06-2006, 08:31 AM
Im doing almost the same thing. I am gathering up all the re-build parts and performance parts and doing it all at once. I don't fell like ripping apart the motor twice. Im feeling my motor is starting to go too so i don't want to put performance parts on it and beat it up even worse.

oldschool3g
03-06-2006, 08:56 AM
oh so your rebuilding it yourself?....what mods are you putting in?

LiTtLe xOx BitT
03-06-2006, 09:24 AM
Complete re-build, Koyo radiator, 90-93 integra CAI, Cam (probably delta), Header, hi-flow cat, custom dual exhaust, optima yellow top battery, 5-speed swap with racing clutch, New alt/starter/water pump, Small shot of n2o (dry shot).I think thats it, i might be forgetting something though.

A20A1
03-07-2006, 01:01 AM
The JDM engine wont affect smog aslong as it has all the equipment.The place I bought my engine from said that they import all their used engines from japan.So I guess you can say i got a jdm motor yo LOL...

The block and head don't control the emissions anyways... its the ECU and such that are still on the car when you replace the motor... so unless you pull everything, from a JDM car, you'll just end up with a basic A20 motor. or A18 or A16.