PDA

View Full Version : Just spent $ on car stuff

leia
03-05-2006, 11:12 AM
So I did some shopping on Meguiars' website, $85 later......
Ordered the NXT liquid wax, NXT car wash, Qwik wax, Gold Class all wheel cleaner, Hot Shine tire foam, wheel brush, wash mit, a few applicator pads, microfiber towel and the Qwik Clay detailing kit.

I was gonna go Griots Garage, but the stuff I was looking at would have been like $250, so $85 isn't so shabby :)

I'm still gonna need a few things but that should be a very good start, and I can just pick up things here and there when I need them.

I CANNOT wait till its warm enough out to wash my RSX and get her all shiny and clean. She's all salty now but I can't wash it myself yet and I don't wanna carwash. I didn't really bother keeping my 3g all clean cuz it was the silver color, and really you can't tell a difference, so I don't have any products now.

I also used to Armoral the 3g, but I'm using Magic Blue vinyl and leather cleaner for the RSX, it's plastic would look bad all shiny.

I can't wait till that package comes in the mail!

AccordEpicenter
03-05-2006, 12:18 PM
sounds like you have a cleaning fetish

Cheeseburger
03-05-2006, 12:26 PM
sweet!! take pics when u wash it!! and wax it

leia
03-05-2006, 02:32 PM
sounds like you have a cleaning fetish

Nah its my first car not from the 80s....going from an 86 Accord to an 06 RSX, I'm not messing around.....this baby has to be perfect.

And I won't get to use all that stuff till it gets warm out :(

MessyHonda
03-05-2006, 03:35 PM
yeah sounds like a nice kit...im taking a auto body class and the teachers said not to use Armol all beacuse it has silicone and it will eat up your rubber if you use it too much...now if i dont put any on it looks all dull but since in my class we use Meguiars that is what i use...makes my car look good i cant wait till i paint it and wax it....wash the car and take some pics

DBMaster
03-05-2006, 03:57 PM
I have used the cheap Meguire's purple can wax since the car was new in 89. I saw guys using it on $3,000+ paint jobs for classic cars so I figured it was decent. I have waxed every 3-4 months since the car was new and the paint still looks glossy and beads water. I added detailing clay to my routine a few years ago because it yields a better result, but the paint still looks almost new!

bullard123
03-05-2006, 04:11 PM
I agree. I think that Meguires has the best wax and detail products out there. The cheapest place that I have found their products is at Walmart in the automotive section.

leia
03-05-2006, 04:34 PM
I was gonna try Zanio or the Griots paint sealant stuff, basically heavy duty once or twice a year protectant waxes, and just do a spray wax at each washing to maintain the shine. I'm hoping the NXT wax is the same kinda thing, prolly cuz its a synthetic.

Eventually I'll get a polish too, but since the car is new I'm thinking I shouldn't need it yet.

And as far as price, I ordered it from Meguiar's website. I like getting presents in the mail :) Plus screw walmart, I'd rather only suport the manufacturer. Maybe when I need to pick up one bottle here and there I'll do walmart....but if I bought all that stuff at walmart, you know I'd buy a whole lot of other junk too since I'm already spending a decent amount of money.

3gn86lxi
03-05-2006, 06:57 PM
My dad uses the Griots.........swears by it. He won't use anything else anymore.
It is a bit on the spendy side though.:sad2:

w00tw00t111
03-05-2006, 08:43 PM
Leia I think you'll really be pleased w/ the NXT wax. You didn't ask for it but, I'll give you another suggestion as well :p Inbetween your 3-4 "true" waxing I would suggest supplementing w/ the NXT spray detailer. It will give the paint a shinier "polished" look as though you just waxed it even though you didn't. I'm w/ you on the "obsesive car cleaning fetish" 3-4 times a week is a usual for me so, obviously I like my car clean. To me cleaning is like many other things, preventative "maintenence" will keep you from spending alot of time down the road. Just a thought though, take it w/ a grain of salt :) Good luck though!

TheWatcher
03-06-2006, 02:45 AM
I use the NXT car wash, good stuff. :thumbup:

I also use Meguiar's older ww mf towels, their foam applicators, interior brush, detail brush, and G-100A Dual Action polisher. :)

I'm kind of brand agnostic, so I just buy whatever works for me.

I try not to mail order, since postage to the 808 is killer. So most of my detailing products are "over the counter", or available locally.

You mentioned the Magic Blue vinyl and leather cleaner. If you have leather, make sure you apply a leather conditioner after using the leather cleaner. :)

Peace.

TheWatcher
03-06-2006, 02:56 AM
I'm w/ you on the "obsesive car cleaning fetish" 3-4 times a week is a usual for me so, obviously I like my car clean.
:omg:

I hope you don't wash your car 3-4 times a week, or you'll be stripping off the wax. :lol:

Peace.

w00tw00t111
03-06-2006, 04:10 PM
:omg:
I hope you don't wash your car 3-4 times a week, or you'll be stripping off the wax. :lol:
Peace.
Why would wax be coming off? No detergent is being used and usually not even soap. Like I said preventative maintanence. If you just spray water on it you can "wipe" the dirt off. And then you dry it off. And as you probably know, the best way to tell if you need a wax job is to feel your paint. If it isn't like glass then, you need to clean it or wax it.

l3aLLa
03-06-2006, 06:52 PM
Well think of it this way, as long as you use a form of soap that is non detergent, the wax will stay on as it would without washing it. If you have experience in waxing cars and know what the "good stuff is" you shouldnt even have to wash your car, a simple rinse will work. When I say good stuff I dont mean just the stuff I prefer, because many people prefer all kinds. Personally I would use meguars cleaner wax, then stage 3 with carnuba, I do my car once a month I only have to rinse my white car and the dirt coimes off.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-13-2006, 10:01 AM
since we are on the subject of wax, what otc wax can i get if i wanted to polish out my valve cover. i am currently working at advance auto parts so i get 20% off my cleaning products. next check i am really going to stock up, its starting to get warm