PDA

View Full Version : my ghetto idea about my rust problem

newaccorddriver
03-05-2006, 04:51 PM
well, i started off by buying an 86 accord last year and right now, i can safely say that its either i fix the rust, or scrap and buy another one. the doors are just about the only part of the car that hasnt seen rust asides from the frame.

now, for the question... since ive been wanting to paint the car a different color anyways and i see so many 3G's in the junkyard with good bodys, is it possible to swap over the panels from another 3G. i know the fenders, the doors, the trunk, and the hood are possible, but what about the side skirts and rear quarters? i know its really ghetto, but its alot more rust then i really wanna sand down, bondo and paint over. and to top it off, i can finally get the car the color i want without having to repaing the entire car.

well, its just a though, what do you guys think of the idea? im just asking for a straight opinion and not something like 'if you dont wanna spend money then dont do it' sorta thing. keep it clean and keep it nice:hs:

ghettogeddy
03-05-2006, 05:03 PM
well id rather do the work instead of spending the money but thats me it just seema like it would be about the same amount of effort to change parts as it is to fix parts

halxi
03-05-2006, 05:12 PM
youd be better off finding a different 3g with minimal/no rust... its possible, look harder.

MessyHonda
03-05-2006, 05:16 PM
well i dont really understand your question but what i got was that you want to just trade the body and still keep your fenders..hood. and all that good stuff. well the risk in doing that is that you dont know if the body your geting has been in a accident and some stuff may not line up... im taking auto body classes in my high school and everytime some one wants to change like a fender or door they have to be extra carefull and check the the clearence...like my trunk it got rear ended in like 92 by a Benz and the guy paid to get my turnk fixed but its never the same because my turnk leaks water when it rains. i can tell that one side is higher than the other side...and the bit is that the paint job they did sucked the clear coat started to peel off and the rest of the car does not have that problem thus making original paint better. if you want to take that risk and if you have the time i say go ahead

newaccorddriver
03-05-2006, 05:53 PM
youd be better off finding a different 3g with minimal/no rust... its possible, look harder.

i live in alberta, so id be able to consider my car one with minimal rust. but finding another one for sale with minimal rust or even no rust and in good condition and such is rare considering how much we salt the roads... it was just an idea anyways cause ive noticed alot of those cars going in there recently all with good bodys

thanks for keeping it flame free guys:wave: :)

halxi
03-05-2006, 06:01 PM
i live in colorado, where roadsalt/mag chloride is everywhere in the winter... my cars been daily driven, everyday, for the past 17 years now. Rain/snow/sun.

My point being, i have one minimal rust spot, and thats only kuz my car was backed into a few montsh after my parents bought it in december of 87, you can easily find one. Look for one in the states even, if you have to.

newaccorddriver
03-05-2006, 07:29 PM
you should know that price is also a concern. people want roughly $3000 for one in good shape here when i think its really worth $1500-$2000 at the very most for one thats bone stock. i was fortunate enough to get one for $700, and in good running condition. what id really like though is an SE-i coupe or sedan, but the chances of me finding one here is slim to nil. regardless, id just like to find a coupe that isnt rusted to hell yet though, but i hate the $3000 asking price cause their 'so reliable' and all the BS the owner shoves in your face...

halxi
03-05-2006, 08:14 PM
i just did a nationwide search on autotrader and i was CONSISTANTLY finding MINT 3g's all over the northern parts of the states for under $2000, cheapest one i found that was nice, was like $1000 straight across

Gemini2003
03-05-2006, 11:07 PM
:-) lol You want to talk about rust? Take a look at my thread http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48367 I'm dealing with rust all over the place. I'm teaching my self as I go and if you have patience and a a little time to dedicate then you can save a lot of money. I'f said it before... I'm only in to my entire project for less then $1000 and under $300 for materials and stuff to work on it... I'd say my investment if paying off :-) ... but to be fair I do have lots of time to spend on this :-)

newaccorddriver
03-05-2006, 11:33 PM
:-) lol You want to talk about rust? Take a look at my thread http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=48367 I'm dealing with rust all over the place. I'm teaching my self as I go and if you have patience and a a little time to dedicate then you can save a lot of money. I'f said it before... I'm only in to my entire project for less then $1000 and under $300 for materials and stuff to work on it... I'd say my investment if paying off :-) ... but to be fair I do have lots of time to spend on this :-)

seems like quite the project. i just dont have the time to do it all within a year and i definetely dont have the patience as i finished the 5 speed swap back in november and im anxious to drive my car in july. i really like how you organized the bolts and everything though, wish i did that on my 5 speed swap so i wouldnt have to go back to the junkyard 3-6 times for bolts and misc parts... i think i spent roughly $700 on the 5 speed swap, that was for the cost of the materials and swap parts which i needed. its semi worth it cause i grown attached to the car though and i didnt wanna see it get scrapped. overall im still debating on wether i want to swap body panels(if possible) or fix the rust on my own which shouldnt take too long, but painting it in my garage without space or anything is gonna be a challenge.

newaccorddriver
03-05-2006, 11:36 PM
tell me about it
I saw a f'ing beautiful 86 DX (Chalked with Great on gas!) down the road from my girl's house for $2500

FUCK THAT!

ya, anything with a 'great on gas!' thing on it or a honda badge automatically costs more. i bet you could easily pick up a 2000 sunfire or something with $2500 cash. i just love how people think that a car thats good on gas and such is gonna fetch them more money when in reality people still see it at a 20 year old car that ISNT worth that much regardless of how reliable it is. if it was an 89 SE-i that was in good condition $2500 would be reasonable for it, but not an 86 DX

Pimpinaccordlx
03-07-2006, 08:22 AM
well, i started off by buying an 86 accord last year and right now, i can safely say that its either i fix the rust, or scrap and buy another one. the doors are just about the only part of the car that hasnt seen rust asides from the frame.

now, for the question... since ive been wanting to paint the car a different color anyways and i see so many 3G's in the junkyard with good bodys, is it possible to swap over the panels from another 3G. i know the fenders, the doors, the trunk, and the hood are possible, but what about the side skirts and rear quarters? i know its really ghetto, but its alot more rust then i really wanna sand down, bondo and paint over. and to top it off, i can finally get the car the color i want without having to repaing the entire car.

well, its just a though, what do you guys think of the idea? im just asking for a straight opinion and not something like 'if you dont wanna spend money then dont do it' sorta thing. keep it clean and keep it nice:hs:
The rear quarter go all the way up to the roof so its more time and effort to replace them than its worth so bondo it or scrap it

Pimpinaccordlx
03-07-2006, 08:24 AM
the rear quarter go al the way to the roof so its not worth cutting them off and fitting the new ones