PDA

View Full Version : adding a neutral safety switch

newaccorddriver
03-06-2006, 10:06 PM
does anybody know how to add on a neutral safety switch? the only drag strip in this city wont let you go on if you dont have one...

SteveDX89
03-07-2006, 02:56 AM
Your car was originally an automatic, right? If so, you already have one. You just have to figure out how to use it with the manual.

newaccorddriver
03-07-2006, 10:21 AM
Your car was originally an automatic, right? If so, you already have one. You just have to figure out how to use it with the manual.

ya, it was originally an automatic. i remember making another thread about wether or not currrent passes through it. i believe somebody says they adapted a brake llight switch to work with it. i get the idea of how it works and such and thats probably how im gonna have to do it, but one question still baffles me. when i swapped the pedals in, there was already a plug for the clutch pedal for the cruise control switch. what im wondering is if honda used the exact same harness for both manual and automatic cars they built.

newaccorddriver
03-07-2006, 10:35 AM
like i said, the clutch switch breaks the circuit when you push the clutch in so if you hook them up to the clutch switch thee car will only start when the clutch is not pressed. You need a relay to fix this or adapt a brake switch to the clutch pedal.
When I had the auto I modified a Prelude pistol grip with the "S3" switch to fit and I used the S3 button as the safety switch

that was one of the old posts from my other thread. apparently by pushing the clutch in ill break the circuit. i had cruise control working when it was still an automatic, but what i was curious is, if pushing in the clutch meant breaking the circuit, wouldnt it mean the circuit is broken if the switch is gone?

JFreddy
03-07-2006, 12:03 PM
hey ya if someone could figure this out my track has the same rules about that and I been lookin into how to do it for a while.

PhydeauX
03-07-2006, 12:38 PM
I'm pulling this from memory since I can't find my wireing diagrams right now. The purpose of the neutral safety switch is to cut power from the starter solenoid when the car is most likely in gear (ie the m/t cars have no way of knowing what gear the trans is in, but its definitely not in gear if the clutch is down). In the a/t cars this is done with a high current switch on the gear selector on the side of the transmisson, there is no relay. In the m/t cars the switch on the clutch pedal switch can't handle the current so a relay is used. The circut is very simple. You need a relay on the smaller wire that leads to the starter (connected to the solenoid, not the main power to the battery) and then use the clutch switch to activate it (just power from somewhere, prefereably switched by the ignition key).

Remember that the neutral safety switch and the cruise control switch are not the same switch. The cruise control switch is on the front of the pedal assembly next to the brake switch. It's activated as soon as you start to press the clutch pedal to kill the cruise. The neutral safety switch is on the back of the assembly and the clutch pedal doesn't press it untill its made it all the way to the bottom. Not all 3g 5 speed accords were equiped with one. I believe 86 and 87 don't have them (so if you used a pedal assembly from one of these cars it probalby doesn't even have the mounts point for the switch). I wonder how your tracks rules handle cars that were nevre equipped with a safety switch from the factory?

andy

I found the diagrams and it looks like the accord doesn't use a relay, the power goes directly through the safety switch, it was the toyota wiring that has the relay (I've read too many wireing diagrams). Anyway the wire in question is the Black wire with the white stripe that runs from the ignition switch. You should be able to see it in the main steering column harness. It should have +12v only when the key is in the start position. If you have the right spot to install the clutch swich on your pedals you should be able to cut this wire and splice the safety switch into it.

newaccorddriver
03-07-2006, 03:10 PM
hey ya if someone could figure this out my track has the same rules about that and I been lookin into how to do it for a while.

you go to bud park or race city? or does airdrie have a track as well?

newaccorddriver
03-07-2006, 03:21 PM
I wonder how your tracks rules handle cars that were nevre equipped with a safety switch from the factory?

andy

I found the diagrams and it looks like the accord doesn't use a relay, the power goes directly through the safety switch, it was the toyota wiring that has the relay (I've read too many wireing diagrams). Anyway the wire in question is the Black wire with the white stripe that runs from the ignition switch. You should be able to see it in the main steering column harness. It should have +12v only when the key is in the start position. If you have the right spot to install the clutch swich on your pedals you should be able to cut this wire and splice the safety switch into it.

i dont think they would actually let us go on the track if we never had one. still dont know why though, its not like were gonna stop somewhere in the middle of the track anyways.

well, somewhat get what your diagram is saying, but i think ive got an even easier way to do it. before i did my 5 speed swap, my cruise control worked flawlessly. when i did my 5 speed swap, i noticed that i had an extra plug that was meant for the cruise switch. if my cruise control worked without that switch plugged in, chances are i can hook up a brake light switch in the place of a cruise/clutch switch. after doing that, id just run the cruise control lines from the brake light switch over to my new brake light swtich i just put on my clutch pedal. from there i can wire up the neutral safety lines from my auto tranny.

the way it works is, the actual brake light switch completes a circuit to light up the brakes and to kill the cruise control at the same time. by hooking up the cruise control part of it to another brake light switch(the one which replaces the clutch switch), id be able to complete the circuit and kill off the cruise control if i pushed in the clutch. since the brake light switch has 2 functions built into it, i dont see why i cant hook up the neutral safety switch to the other 2 leads that arent being used.

seems complicated, but not if you see how it works in real life. the only question is how much current can those switches handle and how long would they really last being used like that

newaccorddriver
03-08-2006, 06:28 PM
my idea got shot down somewhat cause the brake switch is weirdly put together. only 2 of the points would have continuity in it if the pedal is pushed down. the other 2 have nothing all together. so im back to square one...

anyone have any idea how to put one in?

JFreddy
04-12-2006, 12:45 PM
you go to bud park or race city? or does airdrie have a track as well?

I go to race city on friday nights at secret street... dont kno if thats continuing this year or not but hopefully it does or else the streets will be bad on sat. nights.