PDA

View Full Version : 92 prelude springs

white ricer
03-07-2006, 05:06 PM
ok i have a set of stock springs off of a 1992 prelude. i was wondering if these are compatible with the ones on my accord. they are interchangable with 90-92 accords just have a higher spring rate. the reason i got these (which were for free) is because i dont want a extremely stiff suspension just something i can have fun with.

89AccordResto
03-07-2006, 06:03 PM
If you put stiff springs on stock struts you'll get the mexi bounce.

white ricer
03-08-2006, 02:42 PM
actually the "mexi-bounce" is caused by blown struts, which is usually caused by people running super-stiff springs on stock struts. my struts have been replaced and these different springs shouldn't be that stiff.

89AccordResto
03-08-2006, 06:13 PM
actually the "mexi-bounce" is caused by blown struts, which is usually caused by people running super-stiff springs on stock struts. my struts have been replaced and these different springs shouldn't be that stiff.

Blown struts= no resistence to movement, which allows the spring to oscillate. A stock strut on a stiff spring will do the exact same thing. Struts and shocks are only there to control the spring. A bouncing car is a car where the strut is too weak to control it.

white ricer
03-09-2006, 04:47 PM
ok.. im just tryin to find out if these springs will fit on the existing struts, and remember these springs are stock prelude springs, which probably doesnt pose much of a risk to the struts.

Vector
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
i was at a local wrecking yard looking at the same thing (well actually from a 91) and they look like they will fit as i had 2 of the back springs next to each other, look like same height and width, probably wont know unless you fit one on. dont be like me and remove them without a spring compressor it, bad things happen.

AccordRacing21
03-13-2006, 10:41 AM
Blown struts= no resistence to movement, which allows the spring to oscillate. A stock strut on a stiff spring will do the exact same thing. Struts and shocks are only there to control the spring. A bouncing car is a car where the strut is too weak to control it.

Actually struts and shocks are there to keep the tire on the ground.

89AccordResto
03-13-2006, 10:49 AM
Nope. Springs support the car. Struts and shocks do nothing. You could remove the struts from your car, and if you were to assemble it without a strut or spring, it would still sit at the same height. The spring is there to support the car. The strut or shock is there to control the spring, and to prevent it from oscillating and controlling how fast it can compress/rebound.

white ricer
03-13-2006, 03:48 PM
im in the process of fitting them i just hafta find a spring compressor to disassemble/assemble the struts, from what im seeing now they look like they will fit.

white ricer
03-13-2006, 04:14 PM
The strut or shock is there to control the spring, and to prevent it from oscillating and controlling how fast it can compress/rebound.
the strut does both support the vehicle and keep the tire to the ground. accordresto your comments are extremely negative in this and other threads. your posts do nothing for this post other then make yourself sound like a smart ass. :slap:

89AccordResto
03-13-2006, 04:24 PM
the strut does both support the vehicle and keep the tire to the ground. accordresto your comments are extremely negative in this and other threads. your posts do nothing for this post other then make yourself sound like a smart ass. :slap:

Um. Sorry. You are wrong. I might be a smart ass, but stating that the strut helps support the vehicle is making you look like a normal ass, the kind that doesn't understand what they are talking about. A strut/shock is there PURELY to control the spring, to limit it's compression and rebound speeds, and to stop the spring from oscillating.

2drSE-i
03-13-2006, 07:52 PM
i really hate to agree with resto....but i must do just that. the strut, aka "damper" controls the movement, ie oscillation, of the spring. without the strut, the car would still move and everything, your car would just bounce like crazy. it would eventually stop, but it would take a while. jump on a trampoline and you will learn the physics of it. jump once, and dont resist the movements. once youve stopped, jump again, but this time resist. youll find you will stop much sooner the second time. you are acting as a human damper, basically.

edit: oh yea the topic at hand. if i remember correctly, 90-93 accords springs are too tall to run in our cars. If preludes are the same as those, then id say no go. sry guys. always worth the research tho, my memory may not serve me as well as id like it to. Use the search, lots of threads on this one if you can dig em up.

white ricer
03-13-2006, 09:17 PM
well im about to find out whether they do fit or not, i got one side of the car taken apart just waitin for my spring compressor to get the bastard apart..