PDA

View Full Version : ignition starter switch to push button

brianc85
08-21-2002, 09:39 PM
Ok my ignition starter switch broke. The little tab broke off of the switch so it won't stay against the lock and tumbler to start. A new one is almost a hundred dollars and im not really into the junk yard thing. Heres a pic of it:
http://www.partsamerica.com/product_images/img/BAR/BAR2011647.jpg[/IMG]

The switch sits in the back of the lock and tumbler and when you turn the key it turns the switch. Well with that said I was wondering if there was any way that I could just get rid of that and add a push button start switch. Right now as it is I have the switch pulled off of the back of the lock and tumbler and hanging under my dash. When i have to start the car I turn it on by sticking my key in the switch and turning it till it starts. Then I have to put my key in the igniton and turn it so the steering wheel doesnt lock up. I was reading about the push button start button and was wondering how I could do it to work with my situation. Im guessing I will have to have a toggle switch that I will somehow have to connect so that when I flip the switch, the car will then be in the on or acc position. Then I will have to wire the push button to make it start? Is this correct. Thats about as far as I know so I guess what i need is how to wire everything up. I know this is alot to ask but I thank you in advance for the help.

POS carb
08-21-2002, 10:01 PM
yea you can do that, check out places like JEG's or Summit Racing, they sell a lot of racing products including momentary switches for starters.

A20A1
08-21-2002, 10:04 PM
Radio Shack?

brianc85
08-21-2002, 10:36 PM
i was thinking about putting both of them somewhere in my dash so in order to start my car i will flip the switch and then push the start button... That would be cool. So does anyone know how to wire this up? (which wires go to the toggle switch and which to the start button) If i did this would i need a relay or anything?

smufguy
08-23-2002, 04:23 AM
yes you would need a cut of relay so that u dont keep cranking when ur engine picks up and u know what happenes if u keep pressing that. anyways, its a fun thing to do. Check the faq it shoudl be there or i will ask the dudes in my SAE, the electircal guys who made a pushbutton starter for our f1 car.

mbclark
02-26-2004, 09:18 PM
Just finished all the wiring for my custom push-start button, just need to find a big 'industrial' red button. How-To will be up in a few days. Project cost: ~ $15 cdn

Mac
02-27-2004, 06:02 PM
The way I see it, to do this you will need a double pole switch and a momentary switch. Make sure that the switches are heavy duty able to handle 40 amps.

On one pole attach White/Black wire to the wiper. Then attach White/Red and Blue/White wires to the other contact.

On the second pole attach White wire to the wiper. Then attach Yellow and Black/Yellow wires to the other contact.

The momentary switch: Run a wire from the White wire (on the double pole switch) to one contact of the momentary switch. Then attach Black/White wire to other side of momentary switch.

The double pole switch will have to be turned on before using the momentary switch to start. Then after start the double pole switch will have to remain on.

I would suggest that you use the existing connector. Cut wires close to old ignition switch and attach that end to the new switches.

mbclark
03-03-2004, 01:58 PM
finito. works awsome... pics VERY soon