PDA

View Full Version : Wideband 02

w00tw00t111
03-08-2006, 09:44 PM
Alright guys, I'm super super confused. I have a Autometer a/f guage. I'm wanting to be able to see my *accurate* a/f ratios on the guage. Now, I know I need to upgrade my 02 sensor to a wideband sensor. What I'm confused about is if I "pop" in the new sensor and then connect it to the af guage will everything work properly? If so, what's the reason for the Innovative LC-1? Also, when connecting the Ostrich RTP to my ecu can I just splice the wire going to the guage and make the 2nd go to Ostrich, so that I can get the datalogging feature to record the af ratios? Sorry if this sounds super n00bish but, I'm about to pull my hair out because I don't know what exactly I need.

A20A1
03-08-2006, 09:53 PM
I think you need a wide band gauge as well if you want to use the wideband to run the gauge alone.
I had the Autometer hooked up to a stock sensor.
The wideband gauge may read in A/F ratios ex. "14:1" ... vs "RICH" "LEAN" that the Autometer basic unit does.

Everytime I spliced into the A/F ratio wire with another wire it threw off the gauge reading.

As for Data logging with a O2 sensor, you may need to find an output port from the ECU/Stand Alone/Etc that allows data logging instead of making your own input for a direct connection with a splice. That way the input to the ecu isnt effected and the output for your datalogging is simply what the ECU has already read and is stored in the ecu till you plug in the computer or is read in real time via the ecu's output port.. assuming you are using an ECU that is cabable of that.

Then again I'm no ECU expert.

w00tw00t111
03-08-2006, 09:57 PM
Is it a "wideband guage" that I need b/c the auto meter one lean/stoich/rich. Or is it that little "harness" persay that goes inbetween the sensor and the guage that I need. And yeah that output idea was a good one. Like you said that way the signal won't get screwed up any.

A20A1
03-08-2006, 09:59 PM
If worse comes to worse you can weld in another O2 sensor bung and use that ... but then having so many different sensors may throw some things off.

bobafett
03-08-2006, 10:06 PM
for a wideband setup, you need wideband sensor, which can connect to a gauge if you would like it to, but that is not necessary, if you are connecting it to a datalogging function, then it never needs to see the ecu anyway... the pj0 has no idea how to adjust fuel levels based on the signal from a wb02.

if you plan to datalog, just run the output of the guage directly into your datalogging software, and you can view the precise numbers without a gauge. :)

if you want the number while you drive, get a gauge too, but they are by no means required..
unless you are running a tunable ecu setup, your car will never 'run' using the wideband, you will need your stock o2 sensor to do that.

since u have a 89 accord you already have 2 o2 sensors... i have 86, which only has one, so i am assuming if you unplug one of yours, the car doesnt run properly. if you can get away with running just one o2 sensor, plug the wb into the extra spot on your header/manifold. if you MUST run both sensors, then u can always have exhaust shop add a bung to your manifold to allow you *GASP* 3 oxygen sensors!

A20A1
03-08-2006, 10:13 PM
I've seen 1 per cylinder on a 6 cylinder motor... I guess it was for tuning. :)

b8er
03-09-2006, 06:40 AM
I've seen 1 per cylinder on a 6 cylinder motor... I guess it was for tuning.

yea those are called pyrometers, they measure exhaust gases and heat and all that fun stuff, there used on racecars all the time

if you plan to datalog, just run the output of the guage directly into your datalogging software, and you can view the precise numbers without a gauge

i found this a little strange if you run the output of the gauge to the datalogging software then your gonna need to have a gauge, other wise where is the 'output' coming from

i am by no means a computre god, i am having a hard time follow this thread as it is, aha but that last one just struck me off gaurd and im curious, thanks

bobafett
03-09-2006, 07:13 AM
the gauge is sending output via a wire (or two?) as long as it is powered... whether that output is recieved by a gauge, which translates that information into a needle moving or an LCD number refreshing, or if it gets dumped into a USB or serial port on a computer....

the gauge is merely reading the output that is already being sent. :) it doesnt cause the output to be sent or affect output in any way.

w00tw00t111
03-09-2006, 02:11 PM
Alright boba thanks for the help but, I'm still confused :( I'm converting to OBD-1 I have the p75 that's been converted to accept IC's and whatnot and I'm planning to add Ostrich into the setup so I have the RTP function. But, the main problem I'm having is understanding if I need this:
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=94
only and just plug that into ostrich/guage
or do I need this:
http://www.moates.net/product_info.php?cPath=48&products_id=88
??

bobafett
03-09-2006, 02:32 PM
you will need the LC-1 kit. you still need whats called a wideband 'controller' to get the proper output. the black box u see in the picture of the LC-1 is the controller, that controls the different outputs (like it says, analog in, and 1 digital and 2 programmable analog outputs)

sorry i wasnt clear about the controller, they are needed. i was just focusing on the fact that you would not need a wideband 'display' (gauge)

Are you going to be usings crome with ostrich? that is what i was going to run when i was planning on going obd1 :) also, how have you solved the dizzy issue?

w00tw00t111
03-09-2006, 06:20 PM
No, I'll be using uberdata. And for the dizzy I'm going to have a cnc bracket made to hold it in place. But, the plan is to convert to efi and while converting to efi convert to obd-1 and while doing that install my new head and while doing that install my ITB's.