PDA

View Full Version : Valve cover

TeKKnoTeKK
05-06-2002, 02:46 PM
I was just wondering....If I remove the vavle cover to paint it will I have to replace the gasket? If so how much are they?

OldSchoolSwap
05-06-2002, 02:57 PM
not really. Just inspect it for cracks and stiffness of the rubber. It shouldn't be more than $20 at the dealer.

POS carb
05-06-2002, 03:02 PM
the fel pro ones are like $12 the others are like $10 and yea Honda ones are probably like $20

dXsquared
05-08-2002, 06:06 AM
dont foget to drain the oil first!
Travis

OldSchoolSwap
05-08-2002, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
dont foget to drain the oil first!
Travis
huh?:confused:
For a valve cover gasket?

dXsquared
05-08-2002, 10:39 AM
at least in my car it did. oil spewed everywhere when i took it off.
Travis

locknload68
05-08-2002, 11:00 AM
Just make sure you give the oil time to drain down to the pan. ;)

TeKKnoTeKK
05-08-2002, 11:13 AM
Originally posted by locknload68
Just make sure you give the oil time to drain down to the pan. ;)

So what you sayin? I can't have the car runnin' when I do this?!?! DAMMIT :p

Don87LX
05-08-2002, 12:28 PM
Originally posted by DXHATCHBACK
at least in my car it did. oil spewed everywhere when i took it off.
Travis

What were you changing the gasket with car running or something?

CoAsTeR
05-08-2002, 12:43 PM
you shouldn't have to worry about oil draining oil.......

TeKKnoTeKK
05-08-2002, 12:51 PM
Originally posted by Don87LX

What were you changing the gasket with car running or something?

LMAO

accordboricua
05-08-2002, 07:16 PM
U dont have to drain the oil...well you do if you put oil on you r car till it pours out the cap...

CoAsTeR
05-08-2002, 07:36 PM
its funny you mention that, cuz a lady brought her car to our service centre last week with that problem. She absolutely rimmed the oil to the top of the oil filler cap. she only made it a block before it blew just about every seal on the motor. Its a complete write off.

CoAsTeR

AccordChemist
05-08-2002, 08:07 PM
LOL! :eek: :rolleyes:

88WhiteLX-i
05-08-2002, 08:44 PM
wow that's really stupid how does that lady cook anything, or just breathe????:huh: :eek:

Hoshizakido
05-08-2002, 11:56 PM
hey give the old lady a break she only was trying to build here oil pressure up and see if she could get more miles before her next oil change she couldnt be responsible for her non knowing of consiquinces for acting so dumb.

accordlx
05-09-2002, 01:41 AM
I am posting this response in two different places because I thought that this was that important.

When I read about the lady who filled her engine totally up with oil, I almost swallowed my cigarette beccause I laughed so hard. Im sorry but that is just too funny. It must have taken over 2 cases of oil to do achieve that one. That is almost as good as the guy who put 15 containers of fuel injector cleaner in his gas tank and destroyed his engine. His octane rating in his motor must have been somewhere in the range of JP-4 jet fuel.

If you don't know how to do something folks, BUY A MANUAL!! Im not pickin on the guy who just said to drain your oil before you change the valve cover gasket but this is entirely wrong!! The advice given on this board is right more times than not but if you are unusure about what you are saying, please say so. At the same time, it is every board members DUTY to correct anyone else when they see something that is posted incorrectly. Yasu is very good about nailing down bad advice because he knows his stuff. That is why he is the moderator on this board but he can't be here 24/7!!

I might seem a little crass here folks but the fact of the matter is that incorrect advice could get somebody hurt or KILLED!!

What if somebody gave incorrect advice about bleeding brakes or gave bad advice on how to wire a fuel pump? Air in brake lines or one spark from wiring a fuel pump CORRECTLY could spell the end of you my friend. This is why we disconnect the negative battery cable whenever we work on a vehicles electrical system.

Bad or incorrect advice could also do major mechanical damage to someones car. Case in point, the lady who filled her engine totally up with oil. Im sure that someone told her that this was ok.

There is no substitute for automotive knowledge like buying a manual. I have said time and time again that the best way to learn stuff is to read the directions. Either that or watch someone do what you are trying to do before you attempt it. This board is here primarily because we give good free advice. Please do not defeat the purpose of this board. I saw more bad advice on AF about our how to fix cars than I ever saw on EZboard.

If you do not have access to a manual, follow this link here (http://www.alldatadiy.com/index.html) and buy a subscription to ALLDATA. This is an online manual that tells you how to do most every automotive repair. There are printable pictures that include parts descriptions and wiring diagrams. Trust me, this will be the best $24.95 you'll ever spend. This is the same website that many professionals use to fix cars. I've seen more than one shop use this info. It woudnt be a bad idea for us to buy a subscription as a board and share this valuable online resource. Many libraries also have a subscription and will let you use it for free if you go into the library. I know Columbus Public Library here in Ohio has this.

In conclusion, I would like to say that I am not perfect either. I listened to a guy at an auto parts store tell me that it was ok to seal my leaking gas tank gasket with silicone sealant in a pinch when I was about 18. Needless to say, I clogged the SHIT out of my entire fuel delivery system and carb because I listened to this idiot. My car rode more than 50 miles home on a tow truck because a guy who was supposed to be a PROFESSIONAL gave me bad advice. This is embarrasing but taught me a lesson. Don't ever take anybodys word for granted. Don't think that I didnt compare the weight of a Prelude to an Accord before I did my front upper A arm conversion. This was very good advice that I got on this board and it worked out well. BUT I DID THE RESEARCH FIRST.

Ask Jim in the suspension forum about anything. He knows his stuff. I used to pick on him because he seems to know it all but the fact of the matter is, HE GIVES GOOD ADVICE BECAUSE HE DOES THE RESEARCH. If he doesnt get enough info from a website. He uses either the phone and calls them or emails the company. If Jim tells me that Tokico blues work well on my car, I can take that to the bank. I totally trust him with my suspension and my money.

Draining the oil to change a valve cover gasket is not neccessary. It not only wastes your time but wastes your money. Please again, if you don't know something, say you are unsure.

If you dont know something and are too embarrased to question somebody's advice, email a moderator or you can email me. I don't know everyting about an Accord but if I don't know the answer, I will look it up for you. There are also many people on this board who have factory repair manuals. They will also scan pages from their manuals an post it on this board.

Come on folks, we have done a pretty good job of giving advice and keeping each other safe so far. Let's not mess that up.

Sorry this became so long but I thought that this had to be said. I am very passionate about this topic.

Thank you for your attention.

OldSchoolSwap
05-09-2002, 04:05 AM
Well said AccordLx.

1988starter
05-09-2002, 02:48 PM
I painted mine black with many clear coats and did not drain the oil.

dXsquared
05-11-2002, 06:12 AM
when i took my valve cover off, the engine had just been run. i am sorry for the ill advice that i gave but that was my experience and i said that. dont be mad, i spoke from experience.
Travis

RyanLXi
05-13-2002, 08:05 AM
you dont need to drain the oil

POS carb
05-13-2002, 11:15 AM
I bet u that woman just wanted to collect the insurance money lol

Some people shouldn't be allowed to touch cars

TeKKnoTeKK
05-13-2002, 11:53 AM
oh and you think Ronald McDonald is more technical saavy as far as cars are concerned? I think that old lady may actually stand a chance :p