PDA

View Full Version : Napa Auto Parts HORROR

azazel_18_2
03-10-2006, 08:11 AM
I have an 89 accord LXI and at 119k my car blew a head gasket. I tore it down and took the head to napa to be resurfaced. At the time I did not know that all they do is stick it on a big BELT SANDER. I got it back, did a valve job, and had it P&P. The block didn't need to be surfaced. I bought new head bolts, pistons, rods, rod bearing, main bearings, and all gaskets and seals. It cost me a pretty penny but could have been higher if I had it done. I did everything to spec. Not 6k miles and the head gasket blew in 3 different places. I pulled the head back off and took it to NAPA. They cleaned the mating surface and checked if it was warped right down the center. They said it was fine and did not other measurements. I was pretty pissed. I went to a REAL machine shop in OKC. I told them my horro story and they said it is a normal complaint they get from Napa. When they surfaced the head it cut to much out of two corners and to much in an outer oil jacket. It was leaking oil and antifreeze like crazy. I have the head shaved for the second time. When they were done it had a mirror shine to it. They said my head can't be surfaced again or I may run into timing problems due to how much they had to remove from the head. I talked to Napa and they said to bad. I put everything back together and onece again replaced the head bolts and head gasket. Luckily the leaks I had leaked to the outside and not into the cylinders. I have now put about 20k miles on it and it doesn't leak a drop of anything. Just wanted to spread the word on how NAPA screwed me.

halxi
03-10-2006, 08:27 AM
napa is great for parts you need, but i thought everyone would know you dont take anything to their machine shop lol

that still sucks man, at least its all squared away and fixed the correct way now!

B16KILLA
03-10-2006, 06:15 PM
I'm not trying to be a dick but why would you take your head to be resurfaced at an autoparts store?

AccordEpicenter
03-10-2006, 06:47 PM
i always talk to locals and get reccomendations on machine shops. some really suck and some are good...

88Accord-DX
03-10-2006, 07:06 PM
Never knew Napa Auto Part stores even messed with machine work. Guess that is why, they do half ass work. Yeah, you can call about 4-5 local auto repair shops & they will clue you into where the better machine shops are.

Anyway, using a belt sander to mill a cylinder head. :wtf:

A20A1
03-10-2006, 07:42 PM
Anyway, using a belt sander to mill a cylinder head. :wtf:

I could see it happening
...well maybe if it was Norm Abram at the wheel. :)

AccordEpicenter
03-11-2006, 01:40 PM
I could see it happening
...well maybe if it was Norm Abram at the wheel. :)

i can just see it now-

Bob villa: we are gonna go to commercial while we kick norms ass

A20A1
03-11-2006, 02:02 PM
I like Norm more then Bob... haven't even seen Bob 'cept in SEARS Craftsman Commertials.

StressSolutions
03-11-2006, 02:18 PM
Bob is pretty much a NAPA moron. Norm is a cool sort of a get it done do it all guy. Not saying that he does it all on the show anymore, but he has the skills to do it and a lot more, I'm sure.

Thanks for the heads up RE NAPA.

smufguy
03-12-2006, 07:13 AM
NAPA was even worse on parts. I asked them for a 1990 honda accord alternator when my alternator went bad (since i run a 4g alt on my 3g) and they gave me this square clipped and 3 ribbed pulley alternator. I looked at it and i told them, its the wrong one, the guy fucking smirked at me like i was stupid. So i told him calmly that its a wrong alternator and the model was an LX, and he said all the alternators for the 4g accord was the same. SO go ahead and tell him that the ones with the AC used different pully setup which was 5 ribbed and the LX came with AC in the 4g accords. He said no, it should fit and that whoever had my car probably did something to it. and i proceed to tell him that the clip that connects to the alternator was a round 4 prong clip and not a rectangular one and he said i probably was looking at the wrong clip.

So i was like okay, lemme get a 4g alternator belt. He goes thru the procedure of asking me 'again' what kinda car it was and i tell him everything as usual for a 90 accord lx and he brings out the belt and what do you find? its a 5pk partnumber with 5 ribs. So i take it out of the sleeve and i take the alternator out of its box and i show him, and i 'tell' him "you tell me if the alternator you just gave me was the right one if i was to buy the 'right' belt from you. and he was like "oh" there must be a problem. i was like, yeah, thanks for your time and walked outta the store.

the story is to let people know that its better off at a place like Autozone cause i had nothing but just good reviews from that place for over 3 years, they have been my place of shopping for auto parts.

A20A1
03-12-2006, 10:27 AM
Good move... I like when you find a way to put them in check by having them bring out another part.

azazel_18_2
03-13-2006, 08:45 AM
Napa parts are JUNK. I went throught three NAPA alternators in two months. Yes I did fully charge the battery before I installed the new alternators. The third one went out when I was 400 miles out of town. The only parts store around was Orielly's so I bought one there. This alternator has lasted about a year so far! I took my old one back to Napa and got my money back. Lifetime warranty doesn't mean shit when you got to replace the part every month. Also, the second alternator that quit on me quit in the napa parking lot. It locked up and smoked my belt. Of course NAPA isn't liable for my belt. God I hate NAPA. The machining part, I've had other work done by them and MOST of the time it is pretty good other than the head resurfacing. Also, I took my flywheel up there for my accord to get it resurfaced. They told me it would cost me $51 for a new one. I told them to resurface mine ONLY if it would be cheaper than buying a new one. When I got the bill it was $53 plus tax. NAAAPPPPPAAA!!!

88LXi68
03-13-2006, 08:52 AM
Napa does not usually do the machine work in house, they tend to hire a local shop to do their work. In turn the shop becomes a "Napa" machine shop.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-13-2006, 10:23 AM
i work at advance auto parts, and i see where the guy is comming from. alot of times i bring parts to customers and before they even look at the part, they want to say it wrong or ask you stupid questions. alot of the shops who order parts will say that the trim level dosent matter, then they get mad when they get the wrong part. or if they come into the store they dont get all the car info before they come in, then they want to play the gussing game.

smufguy
03-14-2006, 07:16 AM
i work at advance auto parts, and i see where the guy is comming from. alot of times i bring parts to customers and before they even look at the part, they want to say it wrong or ask you stupid questions. alot of the shops who order parts will say that the trim level dosent matter, then they get mad when they get the wrong part. or if they come into the store they dont get all the car info before they come in, then they want to play the gussing game.

but some sales guys do think they know better than the person (customer) they are talking to. I dont smirk or anything, but i just hate when the guys tell me that what i am getting wont work and shit. When i go to a parts store, i know what i wanna get, but i guess they just look at everyone in the same manner.

azazel_18_2
03-14-2006, 07:32 AM
Hey 88LXI68, I'm not an idiot. I have walked back into their machine show. It is in their store. It's a pretty nice sized machine shop. I do like advanced auto parts though. I've had good luck with them.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-14-2006, 08:50 AM
well, they are giving you conventional warnings. they dont know your doing something custom or hacking something they may warn you that its not norm. i know some parts people who think they know it all but they dont know shit. it goes both ways