PDA

View Full Version : The steering Wheel vibrates when the car reaches 60MPH

Mario Calero
03-10-2006, 09:27 AM
Simple like that, when speedo reaches 60mph the steering wheel begins to shake or vibrate, If I want to stop this, I have to slow down to 55 or 50mph.

When I'm up to 50 mph and I want to brake, the car vibrates a lot from the front wheels, If I brake at low speed this doesn't happen.

Sometimes when parked, the cars moves formard or backward even thoug the Parking brake is set, I have to let her shifted into firts or reverse to make sure it won't move, parking brake is not enough.

Any advice.

Thanks

Mario Calero

azazel_18_2
03-10-2006, 09:35 AM
There are many things that need to be checked. The simplest is the tires. Are the tires fine? If so then check the drive axles. Are the boots ripped? If so, replace the drive axles. After that you have the fun of checking ball joints and the such. I have never messed with mine. Mine vibrated real bad for a while and then I noticed one of the boots on a drive axle was busted open. I replaced the axle and it went away. Hope this helps!

Patrick88Lxi200K
03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
The shaking from the front wheels is most likely the front control arm bushings. I had the same problem that continued through new brakes, springs, and struts(was doing these anyway). Replaced the bushings and was amazed at the difference. No vibration, better handling and braking.

Parking brake cable either needs adjusted, or you need new brake pads on the rear. If you have drum in the rear, the self adjustment mechanism can get stuck from buildup of brake dust and other crud, causing the parking brake to get looser as the pads wear down.

spnrx
03-10-2006, 11:30 AM
I had the exact same problem, just go to wal - mart and pay $14 to get your front tires balanced. Simple and easy

FyreDaug
03-10-2006, 12:16 PM
I had the exact same problem, just go to wal - mart and pay $14 to get your front tires balanced. Simple and easy

:werd:

spnrx
03-10-2006, 12:30 PM
*shrugs* no joke it was weird but it worked. I still have the same prob where my front wheel well squeaks. I've been told by the awesome 3geezers that Either my bearing needs changed...or something else. But Now I can hit 60+ no prob. Back then 55 was a challenge.

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2006, 02:50 PM
Wish you two learn to read. He lives in Nicaragua.

Mario here is some things you can check for. Let us know if you dont understand.

Standard front end check,

1: jack up one side of the car until the one tire is off the ground. The other tire must be on the ground still. I use the jacking point under the doors.

2: grab the tire in the air at the 3 and 9 o clock postion and shake/rock back and forth. slow at first. You might need someone to help look underneath. This checks tie-rods,steering rack etc. start kinda slow and work your way up a little harder. Your looking for loosness. Use common sense of course the steering wheel will move or the other tire may move if you shake the shit outta it.

3: Grab the tire 12 and 6 o clock. Rock back and fourth.This checks the wheel bearing and ball joints and upper links.

4: this check might show ball joints/upper link a little better. Use a pry bar under the tire at the 6 o clock pos. pry up look for slop looseness while prying.

This is your basic "front end check" any good mechanic should know. It works for all makes and models of cars

wp

88Accord-DX
03-11-2006, 11:11 PM
^^^ previous post is the standard practice in front end checks. Some other things to look for is to grab your tie rod ends & see if you detect any play. It sometimes can't be felt with tire movement. See if you need the rim balanced again. Sometimes weights don't stay on from cheap tire shops cause they re-use them. Another thing it can be from. is an alighment issue with irregular tire wear. Last but not least, your rotors could be a little warped.

Edit- front suspension needs bushings checked out also, on the lower control arm & top control arm. With the parking brake, you might need new brake shoes or to adjust & or make sure that it is tight and working properly. Some rear brake shoes need for your to go in reverse with the brake on to tighten the loading spring.