PDA

View Full Version : too low !!!

Vector
03-10-2006, 09:55 AM
so now i need to bring it back up if i want to continue using these rims/tires
any simple ideas, i dont want to get new spings, can i fab up a spacer for the top of the shock mounts. i was thinking maybe about .5-1" would do the trick.
tire spec is 205/55/16
http://www.kelownaimports.com/images/tmp/01.jpg
http://www.kelownaimports.com/images/tmp/02.jpg

AZmike
03-10-2006, 10:40 AM
I think a better question might be why are you using tires that are over 1.5" larger diameter than stock. You might have luck the the rubber bumpers that fits between the spring coils. They will get you some clearance, but will make the car ride even worse.

Vector
03-10-2006, 10:47 AM
I think a better question might be why are you using tires that are over 1.5" larger diameter than stock. You might have luck the the rubber bumpers that fits between the spring coils. They will get you some clearance, but will make the car ride even worse.

cuz the rims i already owned, and the rubber was free, i dont know if my tire guy will trade me 45 or 50 serires without having to pay extra.

A20A1
03-10-2006, 11:03 AM
I got a 65 or 60 on my 15's, but that was when the car was stock height. I went down to a 55 afterward.

Vector
03-10-2006, 11:11 AM
You might have luck the the rubber bumpers that fits between the spring coils. They will get you some clearance

sorry, can you elaborate alittle more on that.

maybe i'm just alittle retarded at the moment.

AZmike
03-10-2006, 11:18 AM
This is not the kind I had in mind at first, but look like they would work.

http://www.seffects.com/parts/MRG1287.htm

You could probably get stock springs for about the same price.

Acid X
03-10-2006, 11:21 AM
Those tires are making your car run an inch higher above the ground than if you were running the correct size tires. See if your tire guy will trade you for some 45 series.. They're the correct size tire, and will also look a lot better. If he doesnt want to trade you without any cash exchange, just see how much more he would want..

THEN, if worse comes to worse, just get the spacers. But that's probably more than your tire guy would charge you to swap for 45's.

EDIT: OR, you could roll your fenders.

spnrx
03-10-2006, 11:28 AM
Yeah dude I suggest just swapping for 45s and clean rims by the way. ^_^ Lucky bastard Hubs is what I'm rollin' on stock shocks even.

Vector
03-10-2006, 12:37 PM
haha ya, alright i will give the tire swap a shot first, i had 40s on those rims before and they were pretty nice looking, but i ran them down to the point where the steel belt started comming through on the sides, only reason i stuck these on is because it was all pretty much free.

thanks for the link on the spacers, i'm alittle worried about them being made out of rubber for the fact i know that to much pressure or abuse or just prolong use may cause them to flatten or split, not that i'm a bad driver, i'm just trying to prevent anything bad from happening.

thanks for all the responses.

btw, if i do stay with these, tho far out you think my speedo will be :toilet:

AZmike
03-10-2006, 03:16 PM
23.21/24.88=0.933
Your speedometer will read about 7% lower than it would with stock size tires.

Vector
03-10-2006, 03:37 PM
thanks for all your help, turns out i have no cars as somthing to do with my cooling system in my 325i just exploded and theres coolant everywhere, looks like waterpump. week keeps gettin better, take care all i will repost with new pics on the honda once ifigure out which vehicle i'm gonna fix.

:wtf:

Toneloc5145
03-10-2006, 03:40 PM
If those rims are made by cragar then i have the exact same rims:cheers: . except mine are 15's. Thats crazy......i never thought somebody would have these old rims besides me:rockon:

Vector
03-10-2006, 03:46 PM
they had a logo in the middle of them, almost looked like a wave type it was blue, i didn't know who they were made by at the time i bought them i didnt care because they are a good strong rim. oh and i never hit a curb with them, and never lent my car out lol

halxi
03-10-2006, 03:50 PM
im thinkin about gettin that size in a BFG Traction T/A for my car...

whats your drop setup?

jonrichert
03-10-2006, 04:07 PM
hey vector, they actually stock those rubber spring spacers at Canadian Tire, it is a ghetto fix but it might work until you figure something else out.

Vector
03-12-2006, 04:37 PM
well, i found some spacers, from lordco. i made shims for my strut tower, they brought the car back up about 1"-1.2"s unfortunatly the springs are to soft, so the wheel still rubs the fender under hard cornering and speedbumps.

i found a set of h&r springs that i'm going to pick up new from wyatt auto parts, 400 bucks canadian shipped. they drop 1-1.5 from stock and are more stuff than the stock springs.

this car does not have stock springs in it, nor were they cut. the have ARO604712 stamped on one of them and they are just black, any ideas ?

carotman
03-12-2006, 05:03 PM
Why pay 400 bucks on springs that will not get rid of the problem? Just get the correct size of tires and te correct rim offset.

jonrichert
03-12-2006, 05:07 PM
i have a set of h&r's i could probably part with for cheaper than that. let me know if you're interested. i've got a set of tokico's too - fronts slightly used, backs are brand new.

Vector
03-12-2006, 10:02 PM
Why pay 400 bucks on springs that will not get rid of the problem? Just get the correct size of tires and te correct rim offset.

yea tell me about it, that does include freight(not taxes:chainsaw:), but yea, comming to think of it, wtf am i doing.

i will make it work....................eventually.:)

i kinda like the way the car feels with these bigass tires, dont know why. maybe i should consider doing a rear swaybar as well, i went looking but the one main wrecking yard here dont have alot of l/s/ex-i's and the local part shops arent much help either.

Vector
03-15-2006, 08:38 PM
well, wouldnt you know it, i went to replace my break hoses, and to my surprise after cleaning the dust and dirt from the front shocks i discover that i have tokico HU2782's on the front of the car, i go look at the back and i have HU2783's on the back. Someone was thinkin of me before i bought the car lol :)

went down to 195/45/r16's and the car drives nice, doesnt pull to either direction when accelerating or breaking anymore, and somehow the wheels dont hit the fenders around cornering and breaking considering they are still about 1-1.2" from fender. i'm pretty happy with it now.

thx guys fer yer help i will get more pics as i do more work to the car.

AZmike
03-15-2006, 09:55 PM
It's nice to hear that you fixed it the right way.

Vector
03-15-2006, 10:46 PM
they arent the best thread, but they will carry me over till i can afford some nice bfg's or somthing. sure stick nice to the road tho for worn tires.

after today i will learn to check, recheck all my lugs as i drove around for about an hour with the front passenger wheel not torqued and started to come loose.:Owned2:

also forgot to mention, my car has a rear swaybar, i thought DX's didnt come with rear sway bar (or anti roll bar). someone else must have done this before i got the car also if this is the case.