PDA

View Full Version : 4 disc conversion

markmdz89hatch
08-22-2002, 07:16 AM
Ok, I finally got all the part in... ...or at least i think i do.

I currently have an '89 DX Hatch...
...so obviously that means small rotors up front with shit-drums in back. Now what I have to go into it in the front is Brembo c/d slotted rotors, calipers w/brackets, and some funky high$ pads. For the back all I have is the whole ass out of an SE-i, NOT including the e-brake cables. I just bought a set of stainless lines for front and rear.

What else do I need to make this happen? Do I need to replace the master with one out of an LX-i, or will mine do just fine? Do I need to replace the e-brake cables with ones from an SE-i? Will the stock control arms and bushings work from my DX in the back? What about the front? Do I need anything else for the front other then what I listed?

Let me know, I've never done this before, and I want to make sure it's done right. Thanks.

smufguy
08-22-2002, 01:03 PM
Yes, u need to get the master cylinder off of a Lx-i or an Se-i and also u need the e-brake cables as u mentioned from the Se-i too. You also need The Propotioning valves from the SEI ONLY. you dont need anything for the front, besides, do you have aftermarket rims? if u do, ur safe, if u have stock 13 inch rims, sorry man, the rear wont hold in the 13 inch dia.

markmdz89hatch
08-22-2002, 01:22 PM
hey smuf--> Thanks for getting back to me man! I'm thinking that instead of messin' with a used master from another LX-i, I should go new. What do you think? Also, where the hell do I find the proportioning valve? Should I be putting in a NEW one of those, or just salvage that from the junk too?

Oh yeah, about the wheels, I should be safe b/c I'm on 15's right now.

AZmike
08-22-2002, 03:24 PM
The proporting valve is a simple assembly. A used one will work fine and save you a lot of money if you can find it. I'd recommend getting a rebuld kit for an old master cylinder. You'll get new seals and bushings can reuse the parts that don't really wear out (save $$$).

smufguy
08-22-2002, 05:40 PM
yeah, to be real cheap get the whole master cylinder from the junk. but u want to have an ease of mind, do like what 89lxi4dr said. and the propotioning valves, get it from the junk. an du know where they are and how to take it. and not a prob man, i like to help ppl out :). Good luck bro.

Jims 86LXI HB
08-22-2002, 09:05 PM
When I'd asked about converting to the larger front rotor's I was told that the calipers would not bolt on unless I also swapped over everthing the calipers bolt onto. Meaning the hubs as well. And that come from someone I thought had done the swap, if not, then even he could be wrong.

89AccordHatch
11-24-2002, 11:28 PM
why wouldnt the disc brakes work on the rear if the rims are 13??the fronts are 13!

anchovies
11-24-2002, 11:37 PM
Lxi and Sei has bigger rotors.

guaynabo89
11-25-2002, 05:55 AM
Originally posted by Jims 86LXI HB
When I'd asked about converting to the larger front rotor's I was told that the calipers would not bolt on unless I also swapped over everthing the calipers bolt onto. Meaning the hubs as well.

Correct.

the 88-89 lxi sei calipers will not bolt on to the 86-87 lxi or 86-89 dx lx steering knuclke.

You will need the steering knuclke to convert to larger rotors up front.

I have done it by the way. I have a hatch.

StUpiD8000
12-03-2002, 12:13 AM
I have a 89' LX-i what all would need. And I can get it all new.

anchovies
12-03-2002, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by sTuPiD8001
I have a 89' LX-i what all would need. And I can get it all new.

Check faq.