PDA

View Full Version : Just what is inside the pwr window controller in the left front door?

w261w261
03-10-2006, 04:20 PM
Today I replaced the window control relay box that sits behind the driver's door panel. Just for fun, I decided to break into the old relay box. Inside is a small circuit board with a lot of resistors, etc. There are also two small white boxes soldered to the board, and these are the relays. After desoldering the connections, I broke into one of the boxes, and there was the standard coil and points. I did this because I've rebuilt relays in my '67 Lincoln with no particular problem, and I wanted to see if it was possible to do it in our cars.

I did observe that there is a way to open (surgically) one of the little relay boxes, but you'd have to be *very* precise. In my Lincoln, you just pop off an aluminum cover and file down the points. Honda went a little....further.

Bottom line, don't bother. Everything is soldered, glued, epoxied and otherwise put together in such a way that it's easier to buy a new one or get a junkyard piece. The little relay boxes are too small to conveniently work on, and you have to almost smash them open.

I realize this is an answer to a question that no one has asked, but inquiring minds sometimes have to know.

Deadhead
03-10-2006, 05:36 PM
uhm.... you tried to fix a relay?

Sounds like a royal PITA. If you can solder a joint that small with a simple soldering iron, props. I can't keep my hands steady lol.

Interesting stuff though.