PDA

View Full Version : Stereo speaker wiring on 84

offthahook
03-10-2006, 04:47 PM
This is kinda silly and I really don't care, but I'm curious. My 84 has two door speakers. That's it. I have an AM radio and there is no balance button to fade to the left or right. Now, I know why. The wires are the same color in both doors. Like there is a single output and it goes to two speakers. I am not going to run a set of wires to one door (or both doors) to get that fade effect. But I am running wires to the rear strut covers so I will have 2 speakers in the rear. I have an Alpine CD deck and a changer I'm putting in. I'm not worried about bumping in this car. I got some 4" Kenwoods for the doors and some 6.5" PokAudios for the rears. Will the wiring be funny or anything since I'm doing this "three" speaker setup? I'm counting the two front speakers as one. Anything I need to do different when running the separate wires for the rears? I'm not using an amp, just the head unit, changer, and speakers. Thanks. Oh yeah, I got the aftermarket harness so I won't have to cut the factory stereo harness.

ghettogeddy
03-10-2006, 04:53 PM
well i would just run a new set of wires to the doors its not that hard u know
also when running new speaker wirs u dont hook the up to the harness u hook them directly to the stereo if u have any questions just pm me i can walk u through it

2ndGenGuy
03-11-2006, 10:35 PM
I would agree with ghettogeddy. You should run new wires. Your deck has outputs for two front speakers. You may run in to some issues if you run both front speakers off of one channel, or if you run the two channels into one channel then back out to both speakers.

If you run both off of one channel, you'll be running them in parallel and dropping the resistance. Doing this may overheat or burnout that channel on your deck.

If you run the two front channels together into the single set of wires, then run it back out to the speakers, you'll be shorting the two amplified signals together and who knows what that will do. Whatever it is, it won't be good.

Oh and when you're running the speaker wires to the rear, try to keep them away from any kind of power wires, or else you may pick up noise from the engine, and that would just be freakin' annoying.

MessyHonda
03-11-2006, 10:48 PM
yeah it would be better to get a new set of good wire.... i went to the audio shop like 4 blocks from my house and they guy said that he has been in the business for 40 years and that if you run 2 speakers from one channel it will burn out your deck....dont get me wrong but its going to work for like the first weeks and then its going to get lower and you will seem to trun it up and it wont sound as good.... i think its already hapening to me....i had 4 speakers in the back and he said i was creating a load on the deck and now it does not sound as loud...i just told him to put me an amp to run the speakers and it sounds fine but my front speakers dont since i did not have money to wire the whole car

ghettogeddy
03-12-2006, 12:02 AM
well ruuning two speakers into one will drop the ohm's from 4 to 8 it wont mess anything up but it wont sound right its just that mutch easyer to run two brand new wires

AZmike
03-12-2006, 07:13 AM
well ruuning two speakers into one will drop the ohm's from 4 to 8 it wont mess anything up but it wont sound right its just that mutch easyer to run two brand new wires

Running two speakers off once channel puts the speakers in parallel, reducing the impedance. Two 4-ohm speakers in parallel have a combined impedance of 2 ohms. The lower impedance will draw more current from the channel.

ghettogeddy
03-12-2006, 08:52 AM
well there is a way to run one channel to two 4 ohm spekers to get and 8 ohm load i was pritty drunk when i wrote that last night so

AZmike
03-12-2006, 12:11 PM
If you put them in series you can get an impedance of 8 ohms. You'd already be rewiring the car at that point so why not do it right?

offthahook
03-12-2006, 01:43 PM
Yeah, you guys win... It would be easier to do the passenger side right? Since there isn't so much stuff in the way (wiring, pedals, steering rack, etc.) when I run the wires. I would just have to run a set of wires to one side, right? Just cut the factory set of wires that I won't be using...

ghettogeddy
03-12-2006, 02:44 PM
no way easyer to run new wires to bith side trust in me i have all new wire running in my 3g

offthahook
03-15-2006, 02:41 PM
Any good ways to get the door speaker wires through the rubber boots? I don't want to do it any other way that would look janky. I have my door panels off, but it looks tricky to push a couple wires through...

Also, if I am running all new wires to all 4 speakers (doors, rear shelf), should I even use the factory harness? Would it better just to run a power wire to the fusebox or even use the yellow/red one in there? I have no wires to the rear now and that single setup to the fronts. I'm putting in an Alpine head unit and a 6 stack in the hatch area. Kenwood 4"'s in the front and polkaudio 6.5"'s in the rear. I know, no bass whatsoever... Not looking to bump at all!

ghettogeddy
03-15-2006, 03:22 PM
well to get the wirs through the boot id use a coat hanger. first stick the coat hanger through the attach the wire and pull it through the other way is to cut it open then tape it with black tape but the first way should work, as far as using the factory harness i would it's easy'r and quicker then tryin to splice into the other ones