PDA

View Full Version : BFG Traction T/A

halxi
03-10-2006, 06:49 PM
http://www.discounttire.com/dtcs/findTireByBrandDetail.do?rc=CODINT&cs=205&pc=38362&typ=Passenger%2FPerformance&rcc=Thornton&rd=16&ar=60&tc=MTAPT9

So i bought some General Exclaim UHP's last time around, this was in october, 10k miles ago. Well here i am, early march, 10k miles later, and my tires are at half tread and starting to piss me off with their traction issues. Nothin like hydroplaining at 30mph...

So i was looking at a BFG Traction T/A, mainly for the treadwear... But i thought id get other peoples advice on them this time around.

So im here asking, who has ran these on their 3g? How did they do (traction wise, rain, snow, dry, gravel), and how did they do mileage wise (how long did you have them)?

EDIT - yes i know that is a 205/60 R16... id be buying either a 215/50 R16 or a 205/45 R16... undecided yet. But that was just the 1st link i grabbed

AZmike
03-10-2006, 07:01 PM
I've had a set for most of 2 years on my sedan. It looks like they'll go to 30-35k with mostly highway driving and no autocrosses. The steering response and cornering grip is better than the Dunlop Sport A2s I had before. They have worked well for me the few times it's rained. They did take a lot of weight to balance--almost 4 oz on one of the wheels. Overall they perform reasonably well for an all-season.

I'd say you should go with a 205/45 R16, whichever tire you end up selecting.

MessyHonda
03-10-2006, 07:28 PM
yeah i have some 17 inch rims...but i want to geting working first insted of paying to have a good set of rims on my car with engine problems well man you should get your tires online they are way cheaper this is a good sitehttp://www.vulcantire.com/ze512_t.htm
thoes are Falken tires...nothing but the best they will last like 30k tho but it says Ultra-High Performance - All Season

halxi
03-10-2006, 07:57 PM
30k daily driving

i push my car alot on a local road, which semi relates to a "canyon run"

my tires had a higher treadwear rating then that (380), and a factory warranty for 40k... 10k into it, 3 rotations, and im half way through my tread life.

Time for something different with more mileage, somewhat less performance... leaning more towards a yoko now...

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2006, 08:25 PM
Tread wears like 620 :chainsaw: Id leave those on my moms honda maybe but not mine. I like the tread pattern.

I'm running the KDW right now and I like them pretty well.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+T%2FA+KDW+2

I run 205/50/15.

wp

3gn86lxi
03-10-2006, 08:45 PM
30k daily driving
my tires had a higher treadwear rating then that (380), and a factory warranty for 40k... 10k into it, 3 rotations, and im half way through my tread life.
Time for something different with more mileage, somewhat less performance... leaning more towards a yoko now...
Yeah, I would say with your weather conditions, you would be better of with more of a all seasons tire. Less performance orientaded.(sp?)
Anyway, I have the Falcon Zexius Xi326. Supposed to be performance all season, and they handle rain very good, and grip like a mofo.....BUT the one time I drove in heavy ice/snow.........they SUCK.
edit......treadwaer on my tires is 360. Traction is A, temperature is A also.

MessyHonda
03-10-2006, 09:45 PM
30k daily driving

Treadwear:
Treadwear receives a comparative rating based on wear rate of the the tire in field testing following a goverment specified course. For example, a tire grade of 150 wears 1.5 times longer than a tire graded 100. Actual performance of the tire can vary significantly depending on conditions, driving habits, care, road characteristics, and climate... and they are not universal.... when i went to pepboys i wanted to get some tires with 340 and he said that its only compared to the company's base tire...and from a performance tire they dont warranty the 40k miles since its a high performance tire... they just lie its happen to my friend with some sears tires

Oldblueaccord
03-10-2006, 11:46 PM
Your right about tread wear but its a pretty good indicator how a tire is going to handle. I would hazzard a guess my old falkens with a tread wear of 200 handle better that those BFG at 620. I would also guess that they would not last as long mileage wise.

wp

onehotaccord
03-11-2006, 08:46 PM
BFG Traction T/A will wear on one side, ruining the tire before the rest of the tread is used. I work at a tire store and it happens to every Traction T/A. Its a shame cause it's a good lookin tire. michelin is the best tire if you can afford it. It doesn't matter if it a sporty michelin or not, any michelin will do. you will never hydroplane. they ride perfect, no vibrations. they have long treadlife. but they are expensive. you get what you pay for. you cant spend $50-90 a tire and expect to get great ride, traction, and life. there are four qualities to a tire. Ride(vibration), Traction, Life(treadwear), and of course Price. Mercedes' sports cars come from the factory with Michelins as do BMW. It's better to save the money for the michelins, cause they will last at least twice as long as anything half as cheap and the ride and traction will be much much better.
Also, ROTATE YOUR TIRES EVERY 3000 MILES WITH YOUR OIL CHANGE. THIS IS GARUANTEED TO EXTEND THE LIFE OF YOUR TIRES. not every 5k miles. I have taken off tires that lasted 150k miles cause only highway miles and ROTATED ALL THE TIME. and they were michelin LTX.

AZmike
03-12-2006, 07:01 AM
After 20k mine are worn very evenly. I've rotated them once so far.

onehotaccord
03-13-2006, 05:24 PM
It's a miracle.

halxi
03-13-2006, 05:28 PM
ive noticed 95% of people at tire stores are biased towards one tire, when in reality, there are several out there (brands, and model lines) that will out perform that tire.

Ive NEVER heard from any of my friends (i have 3 now, that are workin at tire stores) at tire stores that the BFG Traction T/A wears faster on one side then the other... plus that just plain doesnt make sense, unless the car has its weight unevenly distributed.

Anyways, im currently looking at some Yokohama's, undecided though.

I checked into it, my General Exclaim UHP's have 12k miles on them right now, and are about half tread, 2 of them are soon to be new. I picked up a nail on the sidewall in one, warrantied it for a new one. Im gonna intentionally pickup a nail on the other side and have that tire replaced too, so i can have 2 new tires on the front. Fraud, kind of. But $17 for a new warranty is a hell of alot cheaper then $80 for a new tire.

EDIT:
my dads 01 Ram Cummins came from the factory with michelins... worst tire ever IMHO. We had his 8000lbs truck, with dirtbikes and camping gear, hydroplaning at 70mph the first time we took it over i70 (through eisenhower tunnel, here in colorado) when the tires had a good 85% tread left. 8% grades + hydroplaning = crap.
Not to mention the faulty sidewalls on every tire.

89AccordResto
03-13-2006, 05:55 PM
Traction T/As are okay... but honestly I prefer the imported rubber from Yokohama... or Falkens. Cheap and they perform well. :)

bobafett
03-13-2006, 09:16 PM
http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=BFGoodrich&tireModel=g-Force+Sport&partnum=15VR5GFSP&vehicleSearch=false&fromCompare1=yes&place=0

im going to be giving these a shot:
BFG g-Force Sport, should last 20-30k (1 year for me - i drive a lot)

Oldblueaccord
03-15-2006, 01:31 PM
Yeah they look like a good choice. im not that fond of tires with that solid strip down the middle on FWD cars they tend to want to follow road irregularites IMO. the AA A rating is good as well.

Let us know how they work.

wp

DBMaster
03-15-2006, 02:22 PM
How do y'all feel about speed ratings? The tires you are talking about are just T-rated. LXi factory specs call for H-rated. I tried some lower rated tires once and was not happy with the handling so I stick with H-ratings. T did not exist when our cars were new so they may be OK since they are basically between S's and H's. You can find H-rated tires for $84 or less, though. My favorites so far were the Michelin Pilots, but our size, 195/60 14 has gotten harder to find. Plus, they're $100 a pop. I have some Yokohoma's on mine right now, but they compromise handling for quietness and traction just a bit, even though they are H-rated. Honestly, the best tires I have had were the MXV's that came on the car. What makes tire buying a real pain is that models, tread patterns, and rubber compounds keep changing and you can almost never buy the same tire twice!

89AccordResto
03-15-2006, 02:50 PM
How do y'all feel about speed ratings? The tires you are talking about are just T-rated. LXi factory specs call for H-rated. I tried some lower rated tires once and was not happy with the handling so I stick with H-ratings. T did not exist when our cars were new so they may be OK since they are basically between S's and H's. You can find H-rated tires for $84 or less, though. My favorites so far were the Michelin Pilots, but our size, 195/60 14 has gotten harder to find. Plus, they're $100 a pop. I have some Yokohoma's on mine right now, but they compromise handling for quietness and traction just a bit, even though they are H-rated. Honestly, the best tires I have had were the MXV's that came on the car. What makes tire buying a real pain is that models, tread patterns, and rubber compounds keep changing and you can almost never buy the same tire twice!

Speed rating= BASICALLY the thickness of the sidewall of a tire. What it actually refers to is how long a tire can drive at extended speeds (constantly flexing) before it fails... a tire speed rated to 110mph can probably go 150-170 or maybe even faster for a short period, but not an extended length of time... becuase the thinner sidewall will get hot quicker, and fail sooner. The added benefit of installing tires that have a higher speed rating is that the thicker sidewalls usually give you better steering response... but at the cost of a slightly harsher ride.

halxi
03-15-2006, 03:06 PM
How do y'all feel about speed ratings? The tires you are talking about are just T-rated. LXi factory specs call for H-rated. I tried some lower rated tires once and was not happy with the handling so I stick with H-ratings. T did not exist when our cars were new so they may be OK since they are basically between S's and H's. You can find H-rated tires for $84 or less, though. My favorites so far were the Michelin Pilots, but our size, 195/60 14 has gotten harder to find. Plus, they're $100 a pop. I have some Yokohoma's on mine right now, but they compromise handling for quietness and traction just a bit, even though they are H-rated. Honestly, the best tires I have had were the MXV's that came on the car. What makes tire buying a real pain is that models, tread patterns, and rubber compounds keep changing and you can almost never buy the same tire twice!\

Factory size isnt an issue to me.

I need at least a 205/45/16 tire, a 225/50/16 tire would be nice, but clearence issues arise with that size.