PDA

View Full Version : reverse grinding up, and water pump prob?

mkymonkey
03-11-2006, 09:19 AM
1st problem
ok so for the past few weeks my freaking reverse gear has been grinding up every time i try to back out of my driveay. it mostly happens when i first turn on the car. what i do to fix it is put it in first move the car a bit then put it back into reverse. no grinding then. what could be my prob? any suggestions? i have actually not changed my tranny fluid uh...ever. but i have only had the thing 6 mos. i know i know i should have done an overhaul on the damn fluids but...eh it slipped my mind. well actually i did almost everything else besides the tranny.

2nd problem
ok i think my damn water pump is going out. :( that sucks man. anyway here are the "symptoms" maybe its something else. ok so when i bought the car it would overheat like a freaking female rabbit's vagina. so i changed the radiator, because of a crack by the neck of the cap, as well as changed all the hoses. well i dont overheat (except once at one of our meets lol) anymore and the problem was gone. after the overheating problem at the meet, i keep getting the same burnt coolant smell you get when you have a leak. i had the cars hoses pressure tested and well no leaks. so i looked in my engine bay today after work (6am) and noticed a drop of burnt coolant on top of the tranny towards the top. it was right under one of the hoses that were changed. i touched it and looked with my ultrabright and handy $300 dollar flashlight (provided by work):D and nothing. so is this my water pump? or am completely off? is my water pump even on that side of the engine? lol

A20A1
03-11-2006, 10:28 AM
Well. :)

Your water pump is on the pully side of the motor (driverside)

The most usual leak by the trans is the heater core hoses.
Other then that there is the thermostat right above the trans.
After the engine overheats I will replace the thermostat just to be safe, it's a cheap part.

Anyways is the problem all fixed? or do you still overheat?

AccordRacing21
03-11-2006, 10:33 AM
I'm having the same reverse grinding problem as you....

shepherd79
03-11-2006, 10:36 AM
1st. your tranny. you can put the car into 2nd gear before you shift it in reverse. this will help. you can't do anything about it. change the oil, you may want to use lucal oil tranny additive to help a little, but i don't think it will.
2nd. check the hoses again, make sure they are tight. check the thermostat for leaking. you can use black light to find the leak.

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-11-2006, 02:18 PM
These transmissions do not have a synchronized reverse gear. The grinding is a result of that. When you let the car sit in neutral, the input shaft is spinning at the same speed as the engine. Then you shift into reverse, but the reverse gear cogs are stationary. So without the synchro you grind the stationary reverse gear into the corresponding rotating input gear. Hence the noise. If you shift into a forward gear first (I prefer 1st gear), you effectively stop the input shaft. Then you can quietly engage reverse gear. Hope this helps.

StressSolutions
03-11-2006, 02:26 PM
Put it in reverse before starting, assuming you don't have to wait for warm up like us with defective chokes in the cold northland.

mkymonkey
03-11-2006, 05:45 PM
well i dont have a carburated accord :D and actually i normally let my car warm up anyway. i turn it on and let it run for the ten minutes it takes me to get ready in my house. most of the time its just getting some coffee. so i cant leave it in gear because my car will roll out of my driveway lol

and thanks for all the comments guys. I actually already do the "shift into another gear first then into reverse" thing. i guess my real question is: is there no way to fix the damn grinding? i mean am i stuck with that horrible sound everytime i try to do it without synchronizing my gears first?

oh and A20A1 thanks! lol i knew it wasnt there. anyway i had the thermostat changed, the radiator and all the hoses when the heating problem was fixed. i had not had an overheating problem since i fixed the damn thing. but at the last meet, i did. adding some water fixed it, i guess it was just low or something. so since i fixed most of the stuff except i guess the heater core (dont really know where it is) and had the hoses preassure tested...what do you think my prob is?

'89AccordLX(Rus)
03-11-2006, 06:13 PM
No, there is no way for you to eliminate the grinding. Its a result of how the transmission is designed. Just make it a habit to engage a forward gear first (or if coming to a stop and shifting into reverse, come to a stop in gear with clutch pushed in, this way you can quietly engage reverse once you are stopped). Also, if you are moving and try to do the forward-then-reverse gear trick, you'll get grinding. I believe this is even mentioned in the owner manual for these cars. I never get any grinding since I've pretty much automatically plug in first gear before reverse. Just my $.02

mkymonkey
03-12-2006, 03:28 AM
yeah well i have been putting in another gear. mostly first and second before i shift. thanks for the comment

Oldblueaccord
03-13-2006, 02:22 PM
Mine doesnt grind 90% of the time.

I would look at the folowing

High idle, it will make it grind

Shifter bushing, the one hooked to the transmission esp. its a junk design. I made one outta nylon that fits tight not like the stock loose one.

clutch adjustment

new clutch, all my hondas the pressure plate losses if spring and it hard to go into reverse and first. I never completely worn the disk out before the pressure plate goes.

wp

JFreddy
04-16-2006, 11:57 AM
I used Lucas Oil treatment additive that we have at work in my tranny and it seemed to solve the problem 98% of the time, its thick like syrup and made my tranny seem to shift smoother (its a 5 spd), and I also use synthetic oil in my transmission too (after going through two, this one being my third) I'm tryin to keep as best care of it as possible