PDA

View Full Version : Did the flip top trunk thing.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Well I finally decided to give it a whirl. A trip to the hardware store and $5 later I was ready to start. Took me about 3 minutes to be 100% sure which way to bend the hinges, but it was really easy.

I finished it in about 20 minutes.

Looks cool and will look even cooler when I get my new stereo equipment in the mail.

I really need to find my camera b/c I've done some major changes to the car and I can't even show them. I think I might just buy a $150 kodak digi cam. Probably end up being better than the one I had gotten 2 years ago.

Well just thought I would share the news. Not sure if anyone has really done this mod to their accord so I want to just say it looks pretty cool.

-Mike

87accordHB
03-11-2006, 10:00 PM
Yeh thats been done already, Right now I got mine done. "sucided" is the actually term for the "flip flop" trunk. The only problem really is the trunk lining up to look factory I think, But I just made some adjustments to make it work.

3gn86lxi
03-11-2006, 11:34 PM
So Mike with the trunk closed it still looks the same? I mean I can imagine doing this and then my trunk wont close right.
You know, I have wanted to do this but I'm reluctant to because I can see my trunk getting all f''''ed up and not closing right.

ghettogeddy
03-11-2006, 11:55 PM
I did mine
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0667.jpg

and it closes perfect u just have to put some slid locks in and it holds it down i dident even bend the brackets
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0815.jpg

3gn86lxi
03-12-2006, 12:08 AM
Did you use a kit ghetto, or hardware store parts??
Hey......where is your window trim???

ghettogeddy
03-12-2006, 08:55 AM
hard ware parts and my window trim fell o f in the car wash just to lazy to get new ones/havent seen then on ebay

Mike's89AccordLX
03-12-2006, 10:16 AM
Yeah it closes fine. I thought it would be cool to do for when my newer stereo gets installed.

Cool to see pics of other trunks, didn't know very many people did it to their car.

87accordHB
03-12-2006, 11:27 AM
well hurry and get pics!! lol.

2drSE-i
03-12-2006, 02:15 PM
i had heard alot of people saying that their trunks didnt close right so the rear of the trunk would leak water, but a quick, easy fix was to put screen door locks (ie the ones with the hook that goes into the circle) so that you can make it close normally when you want it to, and when you want it to "flip" you can unhook the...hook and it will. just throwin an idea at ya.

ghettogeddy
03-12-2006, 02:41 PM
i had heard alot of people saying that their trunks didnt close right so the rear of the trunk would leak water, but a quick, easy fix was to put screen door locks (ie the ones with the hook that goes into the circle) so that you can make it close normally when you want it to, and when you want it to "flip" you can unhook the...hook and it will. just throwin an idea at ya.
these are the instructions i have but insted of using screws i used rivits

Flip-Flop Trunk Lid Instructions
These are the instructions on how to modify your trunk to flip down. This will allow you to open your trunk in two ways: the normal way and the flip down way.

Materials:

2 - 2" Slide Bolts (Latches)

2 - 3” Strap Hinges

Drill with small bit (1/16” to 1/8” depending on the size of the screws) to pre-drill screw holes and a large bit (5/16” or 3/8”) to drill for the latches in Step #6
Phillips screwdriver (the screws should come with the hardware)
Instructions:

1. Remove your trunk lid by unbolting 4 bolts. Do not remove the stock brackets, only the trunk lid. You may have to remove some wiring also. Just remember where everything plugs back in. This part will take 2 people.

2. Attach one side of the hinge to the side of the bracket that was connected to the trunk with the hinge facing away from the trunk. Repeat on the other side. Make sure to pre-drill your holes.

3. With help reconnect the trunk to the brackets using only the bottom bolts (the top ones won’t go in because the hinge is covering the hole for them).

4. With the trunk in place, pre-drill and screw in the screws for the other side of the hinges. You may have to bend the hinges slightly to get them to fit right. A little pressure or a small hammer will do the trick.

5. Connect the latches about 2 inches from the bottom of where the brackets touch the trunk lid. Be sure they are mounted on the inside of the brackets.

6. Mark a spot on the stock bracket to drill a hole to allow the latches to latch (this is where the big drill bit comes in). You may have to remove the bottom bolts to drill so you don’t damage them if you ever want to put it back to stock. Be sure the latches will close tightly. If they don't you may have to replace the bottom bolts each time you want to fold down your trunk lid. (If you don’t plan on using this trick too often, you can skip the latches and just replace the bottom bolt anyway. This will keep it very secure but still let you use it when you really want to.)

7. Once you have the latches on, you can remove the bottom bolts if you haven’t already and flip the trunk down. The hinges will let the trunk fold down to level, but not any farther. To close the trunk flip it up, slide the latches into the holes you drilled in step #6, and close the trunk normally.

8. If you have some subwoofers in the trunk, you might want to put some foam tape along the stock brackets to keep the trunk from rattling against them.

9. If at any time you want to put it back to stock, you can just remove the hardware and replace the bolts. There will only be a few small holes showing.

And that’s it!

ghettogeddy
03-12-2006, 02:41 PM
dp

A18A
03-12-2006, 11:48 PM
well i did it (the worst thing i hav eva done) looks like shit on my car:
http://i34.photobucket.com/albums/d106/89accord/722bec1d.jpg
this was not being serious

87accordHB
03-13-2006, 12:02 AM
why did you use microsoft paint to cover something on the top portion of your trunk? WHAT ARE YOU HIDING?!?!? lol j.j.

w00tw00t111
03-13-2006, 01:52 AM
When I did it several months ago, I had major major problems. When I would open the trunk it would move around and shake and end up bending the hinges. But, I was trying to open it without having installed the slide latches. So basically are you supposed to open it w/ the slide latches "latched" so it comes up normally and then when you want to show-off you just "unbolt" the latches and it flip-flops, then when you're done you "rebolt" the latches and close it? Is that the procedure?

A18A
03-13-2006, 03:35 AM
No offense, but your car looked like shit to begin with! :slap:

yeah i know, poor thing, i put it out of its misery after 4 years of suffering

spnrx
03-13-2006, 03:35 AM
I did mine
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0667.jpg
and it closes perfect u just have to put some slid locks in and it holds it down i dident even bend the brackets
http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0815.jpg
Wow your alt powers all that music in your trunk!? no prob...or do you have aftermarket!?

I can't wait til I start workin' I'm gonna show you boys somethin'

ghettogeddy
03-13-2006, 07:08 AM
no ive also got a 2.5-farad Capacitor well its 2 capacitors 1 1.5 and 1 1.0 faredhttp://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b397/ghettogeddy/DSCF0676.jpg

Mike's89AccordLX
03-13-2006, 07:24 AM
Yeah you open it with the latches latched and then undo them when its opened. And that's how you get it to close normal and be flush with the rear panels of the car still.

Mike's89AccordLX
03-13-2006, 07:25 AM
Oh and I found my camera but I got hit with about 6" of snow last night. Worst part is, its been so nice for like 3 weeks I put my rims on after I lowered the car :( Oh well got to snow blow the driveway and put the winter wheels back on.....

89AccordResto
03-13-2006, 08:59 AM
No offense, but your car looked like shit to begin with! :slap:

Funny how people aren't jumping all over your sack for saying something positive.

ghettogeddy
03-13-2006, 09:26 AM
well he said something negitve for one but i understand what your talking about

87accordHB
03-13-2006, 09:27 AM
i never saw it before he got the new one so....