PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Won't disengage

dillirk
03-13-2006, 09:31 AM
Everything feels normal when you step on the clutch except it doesn't disengage. I thought I had snapped the cable but it is fine. Is it possable that something broke off and is jammed in the clutch?

Oldblueaccord
03-13-2006, 02:17 PM
One of the fingers on the pressure plate could have broke,

Has the car sat a long time? The clutch may be stuck on the splines from rust or just stuck to the pressure plate.

Only thing is to try and drive it and hope it breaks apart or the transmission needs to come out.

wp

dillirk
03-13-2006, 03:19 PM
Thats what I was afrade of. It hasnt sat at all, my wife was driving it home last night and when we got off our exit it wouldn't work. I don't have time for this. But thats what I get for going to autozone for a clutch.

white ricer
03-13-2006, 03:31 PM
yeah is the clutch stiff/loose? does it return after you push it down? like blueaccord said the fingers on the pressre plate could be effed up, the throwout bearing/clutch fork.. probably the best thing wouldbe drop the tranny on a weekend and inspect the clutch. my .02

dillirk
03-13-2006, 03:35 PM
Every thing works the way it should as far as stiffness and the fork arm on the outside it just doesnt disengage. I hadn't thought of the fingers falling off but thats how its acting.

Oldblueaccord
03-13-2006, 11:00 PM
Double check the clutch cable as well. Maybe it slipped somehow down by the tranny.

Mine got fubared and I just thought the clutch was bad and went with it. Finally the old lady couldnt drive it so I decided to look at it and the clutch cable was not in its holder right somehow it popped out.

wp

sjsjbb
03-14-2006, 06:25 AM
i had the same thing happen the spring on the throw out bearing has broken and when u pushed in only 1 side of spring is pulling back an binding on shaft hte spring is shaped in a u with fingers on top of u to go into throw out bearing reachin to where cable goes to shifting arm on moter and see if arm will move try to push down or pull up if it is stuck it will probely be pulled up and there will be slack in cable

sjsjbb
03-14-2006, 06:27 AM
also as far as auto zone clutchand pressure plates theyyyyy really stink im on my 4th one with my 89lxi. pressure plate keeps sticking. since 10 of 05 up till now

dillirk
03-21-2006, 03:29 PM
Problem solved. New NAPA clutch (not rebuilt) installed sunday. One of the springs on the clutch hub had broken out and was jammed between the clutch and pressure plate.

Down with Auto Zone.:rant:

Oldblueaccord
03-21-2006, 07:29 PM
well kewl you got it fixed sucks that it was the clutch.

wp