PDA

View Full Version : sylviana silver stars

SQ is the SQUAD
03-13-2006, 10:05 AM
so i wanted a nice bright headlight but dident feel like hacking the wires so that i could install real hids. i brought the sylviana silverstars. truthfullym you can save $20 and buy the sylviana ultravision. they are slightly brighter but not worth the money. they look nothing like hids. i dident want a crystal house headlight so i brough these, but i might have to mod the lense covers so they will be a lil brighter

kaltenacht
03-13-2006, 10:29 AM
I have used the sylviana silver stars before i think, or maybe it was the xtravision, but they were 20$ each. Either way my brother has used them also and they are great bulbs and worth the money in my opinion. But then again they were composite bulbs and not sealed beam like ours are.. But that shouldnt make alot of difference, I wouldnt think atleast...

SQ is the SQUAD
03-13-2006, 10:44 AM
i am going to get the hella 550 fog lights and put the silverstar bulbs in them to see if there is any difference

MessyHonda
03-13-2006, 10:25 PM
yeah thoes Sylviana Silverstars are worth it...my car was werid only the left side would burn out...and when my mom got the car the right side was still from the factory...hella old(17yr) and it keep going...but after i got my job i wanted to get something real nice and i picked up the SIlverstars from kragen...i installed them myself and then i found out that my wire on the left side was jammed and it geting striped from all the opening and closing of the light...so i took out my electrical tape and i fixed it ...well after it was all done it was geting dark and when i turned them on it was like i had High Beams...it was so F*****' clear it made me happy...i got to say best 43 bucks i ever spent. so pick them up

Busted_Blue
03-13-2006, 10:30 PM
i stil have hella housings laying around...they will be in the marketplace pretty soon :)

BDaccordguy
03-13-2006, 10:39 PM
I had silverstars, but I liked them. They were a nice improvement over stock.

89AccordResto
03-15-2006, 04:23 PM
Silverstars have a blue coating, which reduces light output by only filtering light of a certain wavelength to go through the glass. To overcome this, the filament burns extra bright (hot) so it produces MORE light than a normal bulb, even though from outside of the car = the same amount of light. Net result? Blueish white look.... with kinda horrid longevity. Since hte filament is burning so hot it just will not last as long as a normal bulb.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-15-2006, 06:05 PM
my lights are pretty clear. i dont see any blue in them at all

89AccordResto
03-15-2006, 07:51 PM
my lights are pretty clear. i dont see any blue in them at all

K. Well this guy does:

"The Sylvania Silver Stars have blue glass. Light output is of legal levels, but as with all blue-filtered bulbs, you do not get more light from them. The Sylvania SilverStar bulbs have a very short lifetime, because the filament is overdriven to get a legal amount of light despite the blue glass.

To get the best possible seeing performance at night, don't choose extra-white bulbs."

http://www.danielsternlighting.com/tech/bulbs/blue/good/good.html

SQ is the SQUAD
03-15-2006, 08:17 PM
i really cant see into the sealed housing to see if the bulb is tented, but the light rays are clear as can be

BDaccordguy
03-15-2006, 09:36 PM
i dont think the sealed beams are blue. The bulbs for replacing normal headlights are tinted blue though.

DBMaster
03-16-2006, 08:39 AM
Not worth it. They were tested by Consumer Reports and had inferior performance compared to stock bulbs. I had a pair and one burned out in less than two years. A standard Hella bulb ordered online for $4 is a much better deal for my H4 housings.

On another note, the color of the Silverstars IS nice. It looks much less "fake HID" than most blue bulbs.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-16-2006, 12:05 PM
to late, i dont feel like returning them.

what bulbs do yall suggest for my 91 prelude fog lights

89AccordResto
03-16-2006, 01:02 PM
Extravision. Almost the same as stock only a few more lumens. :)

DBMaster
03-17-2006, 08:19 AM
http://www.rallylights.com/

This company has some good deals, IMO. My experience (I had H4 conversion headlights on my 1972 Pontiac back in the 80's) tells me that gimmicky bulbs are mostly all a waste of money. Best to stick with name brands at fair prices, or spend the big bucks and go true HID.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-17-2006, 09:02 AM
i am going to return these today, get my money back, and buy the h4 conversion off ebay. might buy the 8000k hid kit off there too

3gn86lxi
03-17-2006, 09:32 PM
i am going to return these today, get my money back, and buy the h4 conversion off ebay. might buy the 8000k hid kit off there too
Buy the Autopal or Hella H4 housings. Don't waste your money on "diamond euro" CRAP.
And be prepared to spend a minimum of $350 for the HID conversion. See my thread........I have the REAL HID in my car. And thats what I have invested into it and then some.
http://www.3geez.com/forum/showthread.php?t=46914

89AccordResto
03-18-2006, 12:40 AM
Diamond Euro is okay. Same shit as stock except for better housings. Gives you the choice of reflectors without the choice of bulbs. Keep in mind I'm on absinthe but this shit is superior for reflection but inferior for bulbs. use these guys to get euro reflection but regular bulbs..... that's my final verdict.. :D

- Rob

SQ is the SQUAD
03-18-2006, 04:56 AM
why did i see the 8000k hid kit on ebay for 169?

carotman
03-18-2006, 05:32 AM
I had the silverstars on my Civic. They worked great but they burned soooo fast. They went dead at the SAME time :(

I have GE gold now.... much of an improvement.

3gn86lxi
03-18-2006, 03:12 PM
why did i see the 8000k hid kit on ebay for 169?
Probably low beam only. If you want a bixenon kit like what I bought, and you want quality....you will pay.

SQ is the SQUAD
03-18-2006, 06:47 PM
i returned the silverstars today. got some other things i could ude, now just got to wait till i get the hids